• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Screwed up and may lose tooth because of it- sad

C

calypso

I just got back from a follow-up where my dentist has been trying to help me save a tooth after a bad periodontal abscess. I have been following the instructions for a week now and thought I was doing the at -home instructions correctly, and I was diligent about it as well. Imagine my upset to learn that I still had some infection and I was not doing things correctly and had misunderstood where to "poke" and how deep to go (all the way in, by the way, which hurts). I suppose that I was so stressed the last time I was there about everything that I just didn't quite grasp things and it was difficult for me to actually see where things were when the area was bleeding and he was showing me. I'm also squeamish. Today, I got better instructions and was given two weeks to get the gum looking the way he wanted it to or I will have to either have the tooth extracted or go through bone and gum grafts. As it is a back tooth, I'm not going to do the latter.

I was working hard at it and I was feeling pretty good about that tooth and area - it's pink and the tooth seems more stable. Now, I just realize I was very stupid and feel I've wasted all that time. I'm rather depressed now.

I've never had a tooth extracted and am embarrassed that it is due to a periodontal issue, which makes me feel like I'm some very unclean person, since most people only have tooth problems, or so it seems to me.
:redface::shame:

I just got back from a follow-up where my dentist has been trying to help me save a tooth after a bad periodontal abscess. I have been following the instructions for a week now and thought I was doing the at -home instructions correctly, and I was diligent about it as well. Imagine my upset to learn that I still had some infection and I was not doing things correctly and had misunderstood where to "poke" and how deep to go (all the way in, by the way, which hurts). I suppose that I was so stressed the last time I was there about everything that I just didn't quite grasp things and it was difficult for me to actually see where things were when the area was bleeding and he was showing me. I'm also squeamish. Today, I got better instructions and was given two weeks to get the gum looking the way he wanted it to or I will have to either have the tooth extracted or go through bone and gum grafts. As it is a back tooth, I'm not going to do the latter.

I was working hard at it and I was feeling pretty good about that tooth and area - it's pink and the tooth seems more stable. Now, I just realize I was very stupid and feel I've wasted all that time. I'm rather depressed now.

I've never had a tooth extracted and am embarrassed that it is due to a periodontal issue, which makes me feel like I'm some very unclean person, since most people only have tooth problems, or so it seems to me.
:redface::shame:

There is no sense blaming yourself, and it was the dentists job to make sure you understood your instructions.
I don't think people who have their teeth extracted due to rot and decay feel any better about it so don't feel like you are unclean. I lost a molar that was not decayed and nothing was wrong with my gums and believe me I do not feel good about it at all. Mine was a vertical root fracture. I have not even had a cavity in 33 years so believe me I understand how upsetting it is to do everything to take care of your teeth and lose one anyway.

There is no sense blaming yourself, and it was the dentists job to make sure you understood your instructions.
I don't think people who have their teeth extracted due to rot and decay feel any better about it so don't feel like you are unclean. I lost a molar that was not decayed and nothing was wrong with my gums and believe me I do not feel good about it at all. Mine was a vertical root fracture. I have not even had a cavity in 33 years so believe me I understand how upsetting it is to do everything to take care of your teeth and lose one anyway.

Thank you. I hadn't been in 15 years, so I suppose losing a tooth isn't unheard of in this case, but I have always been a good brusher, just not a good flosser. I had one filling when I was teenager and that was it. I had no wisdom teeth and didn't need braces so I took my teeth and gums for granted. I know I have a couple of cavities (and one big one in an upper molar) now but we are doing things one at at time.

I wish he had written out the instructions but as this was really rather simple, I should have gotten it, but since I had a fear of going it probably overshadowed everything. I took all my antibiotics, thought I was following the cleaning instructions and even called and went back in two days later when I saw it swelling a little. Now, exactly one week later, I have learned all this was not the right way. :cry: I am going to try it all again but I'm so disappointed. I am terrified of having a dry socket after the tooth is pulled.

Thank you. I hadn't been in 15 years, so I suppose losing a tooth isn't unheard of in this case, but I have always been a good brusher, just not a good flosser. I had one filling when I was teenager and that was it. I had no wisdom teeth and didn't need braces so I took my teeth and gums for granted. I know I have a couple of cavities (and one big one in an upper molar) now but we are doing things one at at time.

I wish he had written out the instructions but as this was really rather simple, I should have gotten it, but since I had a fear of going it probably overshadowed everything. I took all my antibiotics, thought I was following the cleaning instructions and even called and went back in two days later when I saw it swelling a little. Now, exactly one week later, I have learned all this was not the right way. :cry: I am going to try it all again but I'm so disappointed. I am terrified of having a dry socket after the tooth is pulled.

Dry socket is very rare, but you are getting ahead of yourself because you may not even need to get the tooth extracted right? There is a chance it can still be saved? I hope it works out for you, and yes it is hard to remember instructions when our hearts are pounding and we are terrified. It's always best to have them written down. Good luck.

Thank you, Scaredy Cat. I was given two weeks to try and get it to a point where it might be saved. I'm not sure the odds are that good anyway. We might save it for 6 months or two years. I am now worrying about everything else that is wrong. He hasn't said much, but I do have a bad back tooth that I know of and now I'm wondering if my gums are really awful everywhere. They are coral-pink and feel pretty tough, except for this one place, but I do know there are other places that need attention and I need a deep cleaning, although I don't see lots of built-up tartar like I see online, just a little along the gum line in the back. The dentist has been nice, and it's his job, I know, but I wish I could get over the feeling of embarrassment and shame that I haven't been in so long and have these issues now. :redface:

Try not to worry, I know that is easier said than done. I am a worrywort myself. But no matter what happens even if you do eventually have to get rid of the tooth it is not the end of the world. There are always options.
You shouldn't feel ashamed or embarrassed. No matter how bad you think your teeth are I promise the dentist will have seen worse. They have seen everything from broken teeth in accidents to meth mouth and nothing shocks them. It is their job to help you not to judge you.

Right now, it's just the one tooth (a perfectly, healthy ivory-colored tooth) and the hygienist said she had seen mouths 20 times worse than mine. I'm just afraid I'll have this somewhere else and a tooth will have to come out - I really do think the back top left one will be gone, but I don't mind that one as it isn't a good tooth and am expecting that - dry socket fears are still there for me. It's quite difficult sticking that proxy brush with antibacterial stuff down the length of the tooth under the gum, by the way.