• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Second bottom molar extracted

J

Jezzypie

My second bottom molar was exctracted and I’m wondering what types of food can I eat? Also I go to school so should I bring my own food to school?

Hi Jezzy, do you mean immediately after your extraction? I had a lower second molar extracted a couple of years ago and ate soft food on the day of the extraction because my mouth was a bit sore. The next day I went out for dinner in the evening and had a normal meal, I just ate on the other side, and rinsed afterwards to make sure nothing was in the hole. I also avoided rice for a week or so because I had a fear it would get stuck in the extraction site, but that might have been me being silly.

If you usually eat a school lunch instead of bringing a packed lunch then I am sure you will be fine. Once the hole closes up you will be able to eat on the other teeth on that side.

Yes I have had it removed today, thank you for answering.

By school lunch tomorrow you will most likely be fine to eat normally, just be guided by how your mouth feels when you choose what to eat. I had 14 teeth removed for orthodontic reasons in school (10 baby, four adult in two tranches) and was amazed how quickly everything healed up. My parents were shocked at how soon I was eating normally, although I definitely milked needing ice cream!

I had my 2nd lower molar extracted a few months ago. Like Judythecat says, you can eat normally on the other side rhe next day...just be cautious about trying to keep food off that side. Be careful with rinsing. The oral surgeon told me to just let water run over the area the first few days...not to vigorously rinse for a week

Also another question - is it ok if I eat spicy food?

Also another question - is it ok if I eat spicy food?

I was told to avoid spicy food for several days, since it produces more saliva and gives a higher chance of dry socket.

1FCD4B0E-B65D-4021-8DB0-1B3DEDD7FB45.jpegl1FCD4B0E-B65D-4021-8DB0-1B3DEDD7FB45.jpeg

Is this a dry socket or not? I’m really worried and it’s starting to throb a little. This is my lower second moler that was extracted yesterday is the throbbing normal??

Throbbing is normal. Dry socket is horrible pain. Did you loose your blood clot in the socket?

I’m not entirely sure

A dentist may want to chime in, but to me, it looks like mine did with my 2nd molar extraction. Mine was maybe a bit more grayish. It was normal and healed just fine. Pain increased on day 2 and 3 with me, as the swelling peaked, which my oral surgeon said was normal.

I had dry socket with my wisdom teeth removal. It is a pain you don't forget. You wouldn't classify it as a little throbbing. It was worse when I laid down. When I had dry socket, the extraction site looked white and deep, because the blood clot was gone.

With dry socket it usually hits on day 2 to 3, and is super painful, and painkillers don't really help.

Exactly what MountainMama said...

Back