• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Second bout of extractions and antibiotics

T

trollteeth

I had my 2 upper wisdom teeth removed 2 months ago. They were fully erupted and luckily the procedure and recovery, soo thankfully, we're completely painless. I had a course of antibiotics though, and they gave me oral thrush the following week and generally just messed up my system for the entire second week.

Anyway, I left the bottom 2 wisdom teeth in because they're full bony horizontal impactions and both by my nerves, so I was too scared to have them out at the same time (I know, I know.. I could be done by now). However, 2 months later they're now both deciding to have a fit inside my mouth, when before they weren't so bad, so I think I'm going to have to just go through with getting them out soon.

One of my numerous concerns besides, nerve damage, pain, dry socket, longer recovery, and increased risk because of my age (36). I wanted to know how soon after 1 course of antibiotics can you take a second? Is 2 months too soon, should I delay for a couple months.... I'm in discomfort at the moment not major pain, and my x-rays from before didn't show any immediate issues, but I know I'll have to get the bottoms out soon enough.

:(

2 months isn't too soon for another dose, however I question the need for antibiotics at all to be honest.

Yes, I don't know why, they just insisted on the antibiotics when I went it for the top ones :unsure:... The bottom ones terrify me though, as it's more invasive, that's why I left them at the time.

There's no logic to wisdom teeth, I've seen ones that just about fell out by themselves which caused massive problems afterwards and others that were a struggle to remove that caused no post-op issues at all...

How likely am I to get dry socket with full horizontal bony impactions at 36? Statistically only slightly better odds than a coin toss?

Pretty remote chance, the socket will be closed by stitches so less chance of any dry socket issues.

Back