• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Sedation and infections

G

Former Member
hi

i was just reading some of the other posts and came across something that concerned me. :scared:

I am currently booked in to be sedated and have several teeth removed or filled, and read that it is possible for infections to interfere with the sedation.

I would like to know if it would be better to take a course of anti-biotics before the treatment ( maybe a month or so before), or to carry on as planned and take anti-biotics after the treatment?

The reason i am concerned is that i mentioned to my dentist that i may have a infection in my mouth and he said that he would not prescribe anything as the might interefere with the sedation.

I'm kind of at a loss what to do as going to them was a big step to begin with, now i am beginning to worry again.

Thank you

What sort of infection are you referring to?

"Infection" is a pretty broad term and could mean lots of things! What other posts were referring to were acute infections as a result of an abcess (a "hot tooth"), if you had one of them, you'd probably know all about it :scared: !! I take it from your other posts that you're not in pain at the moment (please correct me if I'm wrong), so it's unlikely that you have a "hot tooth". These can be hard to get completely numb (something to do with the pH in the tissue).

To the best of my knowledge, taking antibiotics beforehand does not interfere with sedation. But I don't think antibiotics would be necessary or desirable if you don't have an acute infection...

So can you tell me if there is a solution to painful treatment? I have had abcessed teeth and my gums haven't gone numb but my dentist extracts my teeth or works on them anyway. This is really painful and upsetting and to be honest I find it hard to continue with my treatment (I have been phobic for decades so attending in the first place hasn't been easy for me).

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Hi Tilly - can you tell us a bit more? For example, did antibiotics not work in your case, and which ones did you take? Usually, one or more attempts are made to bring the infection under control with antibiotics first.
In the case of a painful dental abscess, opening up into the abscess through the tooth (while painful) will produce rapid relief of pain and can be "kinder" than waiting for antibiotics to kick in. However, you were saying that your dentist frequently extracts or works on such teeth, or doesn't numb you properly, which doesn't sound right.

If you could give us some more specific info, that would make it easier for our dentists to answer your question!

I have had gum disease and long term infections in my mouth but my dentist hasn't given me antibiotics and I have never asked why. He has been very aware of how painful some of my treatment has been too.

He doesn't do sedation and I am reluctant to find another dentist so I put up with the pain, but I wish there was an alternative because I get very nervous when going for treatment for obvious reasons.

Thank you for taking the time to reply.

Not being a dental professional, I don't really know under what circumstances antibiotics are warranted... maybe they weren't indicated in your particular case, I really haven't a clue (dentists please??)

The other possibility is that your current dentist simply isn't good with local anaesthesia.

Also, local anaesthesia can have a habit of kicking in too late when you're very anxious - relative analgesia (laughing gas) can be very effective under those circumstances.

Why are you reluctant to leave him?

I like my dentist a lot (never thought that could be possible!) and he has been extremely supportive in many ways. I have issues with people looking in my mouth for example and he has taken a lot of time so that I don’t feel threatened by him and so that I feel comfortable in his presence.

The pain is an issue and something that I do need to address but I feel at this stage it would be much harder for me to find another dentist who would give me the time, patience and encouragement that I need to even set foot inside the surgery. It has taken a lot of hard work and effort to get where I am now and to be honest the pain has been the least of my problems. However, it would obviously make a difference if my treatment was pain free and any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

Ah, OK, I see :) - that makes sense.

Have you discussed the pain issue with him (and if so, what did he say)?

No I haven't discussed it with him but it is obvious that at times the pain has been extreme. He has suggested that it has been due to an infection but I don't understand why he doesn't give antibiotics if that is the case and I haven't liked to ask him in case he gives me a scary answer.

If you "like your dentist" and he has been very "supportive", it seems to me that you two probably have quite a good Dr/patient relationship.
If you want your treatment to go as smoothly and painlessly as possible, it is very important that your doctor understand your concerns.

Allow me to suggest that you call and ask for an appointment where you can talk with the Doc. Be forthright with your concerns. If the Doc is as understanding as you imply, he/she'll be open to listening and perhaps make suggestions as to how your treatment can be accomplished as easily as possible.

Glenn

You are right I do need a chat with my dentist and I will pluck up the courage to give him a ring.

Thank you for taking the time to reply.