• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

sedation fillings

P

princesstrixi

I have had lots of dental work done recently including 3 extractions and 2 large fillings. One of these was a replacement filling,as there was decay under the original. The dentist only replaced the decayed half and told me that I had more filling than tooth and if it ever needed replacing, l would need root canal and a crown. Fast forward 3 weeks and I began to get severe pain in the tooth. It's the double tooth next door but one to my lower wisdom tooth. The one directly next to the wisdom tooth has been extracted previously. I had an emergency appointment yesterday band saw a locum dentist. He wouldn't extract it but instead removed the entire filling and replaced it with a sedative Filling. He said that would enable the tooth to repair itself and that if I lost the tooth the gap would be too large. I'm going back on Tuesday to see my regular dentist and I'm afraid of what might happen. I can't afford a crown, I'm still in pain but not as much and I'm going away on holiday in 10 days and need it sorted! She had previously offered to extract it but I'm worried now about the gap or this new sedative filling coming out while I'm in Spain.

When a tooth with large decay develops certain types of pain (constant severe pain / pain with hot or cold that lasts several minutes to hours / pain that wakes you up at night) it is at the point that nerve can no longer repair itself. This is called irreversible pulpitis. The pain may eventually go away but that is only because the nerve has died. Once the nerve has died it is only a matter of time before an abscess develops.

If a crown and root canal aren't financially doable for you, I'd get the tooth out especially if you're going to be out of town for some time. There is nothing wrong with getting a tooth out if that is the best option for you.

Back