• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Sedation for Diabetics

D

Derek63

I have BIG teeth roots and my previous dentists have always had a problem to extract a tooth, also one dentist extracted a tooth whilst there was an infection under it which did not allow the local anaesthetic to work. Due to these experiences I am really phobic about dentists.
During the initial check up I asked if I could have gas, but they said as I am diabetic that gas would compromise my illness and no I could not have gas.I have had minor operations in which I had either sedation by injection or general anaesthetic and neither presented any problems.

Find a dentist who has a better understanding of diabetics and their management.
In general sedation is possible Medical clearance by your endocrinologist may be requested and the sedation may be lighter.

I attended a second timne and as I had complained about my first appointment they put me onto the head dentists list. When I mentioned what the first dentist said the head guy said - well its true you can have gas and air, but the other dentist was just thinking about the budget. Nice hey ? Someoone who obviously is nervous initially refused sedation because of the budget - also they told lies !!!!! So much for the NHS

Back