• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Sedation for wisdom tooth, and NHS v Private...

K

Ktdee

Hi again, seems im on a roll tonight after finding somewhere to vent my dentistry fears!
First off, i pretty certain that im gonna get told i need at least one of my wisdom teeth removed, if its only one, will they give me the option of sedation?
Secondly, are NHS dentists geared up to patient reassurance, eg helping nervous patients? As i know a lot of private dentists that specialize in this, but can not afford to keep going back to one.

Thanks again, i bet your all sick of me today haha
:grouphug:

Re: Sedation for wisdom tooth, and NHS v Private..

hi
i havent had my wisdom teeth out but have had 3 lots of sedation on the nhs.
i had no problems with the service i was given in fact i didnt have any complaints on the nhs srvice whatsoever. i had a great dentist who worked very hard to look after me and who still does although hes now in private practice. the sedation went very well and i was very well looked after ,hope that helps any more help feel free to pm me. :grouphug:

Thanks for replying :)
So if you are sedated, how awake are you? Can you feel anything at all?

if your sedated, ur unaware of whats going on. i dont know from personal experence, but via 3th hand stories, they inject u with an IV, and ask you to count backwards from 100. In most cases, before you reach 90, your out, and you wake up what appears to be instantly, but its actuley a few minunts-hours later. afterwards, you might feel a bit nausious, but u should be fine!

Ever watch the show american choppers? They had a guy on there, Mikey, who was sedated for a wisdom tooth, and you can see, he's completly out for it, and hes a big guy, so, its quite effective.

hi ktdee
all my sedation went like this
go in to the dentist as usual, sat down the anaesthist put the needle in my hand and that was it. i was awake to the extent that i could hear him talking to the dental nurse. as for the treatment i was aware that c )my dentist) was doing something but i didnt feel any pain. i dont remember having the local :jump:. when c had finished i went into another room with a nurse for about ten minutes and then i went home. all done :jump: i had 3 sedation apps and had a lot of work done in them 3 appointments and only had a problem during one of them . it was nothing to do with the sedation just the fact i had a crown prep done on lr8 and my tongue kept getting in the way. i was absolutelt terrified and had to be dragged crying into my first appointment. i have now finished after 18 long months and i couldnt have done it without those first 3 sedation apps. so you dont worry i only stopped having the sedation because i wanted to beat the fear and felt i needed to do that without sedation. :grouphug:

Thank you all for replying, it's made me feel a lot better :)
I have a dental consultation on Monday, lets hope he doesn't mind phobics! I'll ask if he offers sedation, as i know this damn tooth has to come out at some point, suppose better sooner than later as i usually leave it, and end up screaming into a emergency dentist lol :confused:

if ur sedated u will be awake but u wont feel his hands playing in ur mouth :thumbsup:

If you watch this space late Tuesday I will give you firsthand report (if I can remember) of IV sedation. I'm having it Tuesday for teeth extractions and I've been assured by my sedationist that it will be very deep and will be unaware of what's going on and better still, gives temporary amnesia!

your welcome anything else just ask :grouphug:

Back