• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Sedation information please ?

L

law69

Hi after 15 years of not a proper dental check
(Just emergencies where they just pulled teeth )
I went today was awful going but found a great dentist

I was shocked all I need it an old filling redone and a deep clean
I had tooth earache from sleep clenching :/
As I've dental phobia and bad tartar behind bottom teeth the dentist is doing the clean under sedation

I had sedation in 1990s but it was when they used to out you completely asleep

Can anyone tell me what it's like these days as I'm abit nervous

Thankyou

Hi Law69,

Congratulations on getting back into the dental chair and also on needing so little work. I wish I had been so lucky. ;D

Here is a link that you may find useful. It is all about sedation and within it you will find links detailing the different forms used. http://www.dentalfearcentral.org/help/sedation-dentistry/

I can tell you that I've had GA (totally out so I couldn't tell you anything about the procedure), nitrous oxide and conscious sedation. With nitrous I was extremely giggly before getting started; my anxiety butterflies disappeared and work seemed to go by very quickly. I was aware of what was going on but didn't really care. Conscious sedation allowed me to feel as though I had taken a nap. I was able to respond to the dentist and afterwards told them that I would remember everything.....I didn't. :giggle: I would have very vague recollections of someone speaking to me but I truly didn't remember much of the dental visit. In fact one time I honestly did not even remember the dentist at all. I remembered the dental assistant and that was it. With nitrous you are able to drive home afterwards as the effects are only felt when you are breathing in the nitrous. With conscious sedation (or iv sedation) you will need someone to drive you.

I hope that helps ease your mind. Everyone is different as to what they are comfortable with and some have differing experiences with sedation. I'm sure if you speak with your dentist about any concerns, together you can come up with a plan that works for you.

Best of luck for your upcoming appt. :clover: I'm sure it will be just fine!

Takingflight

Hi

If you're having the 'twilight Valium' where you get an injection in your arm I can promise you you'll feel nothing. I had two bridges fitted and most of my teeth were filed down as well. Cleaned, drilled and filled and a wisdom removed as well. I've had this sedation four or five times and knew absolutely nothing at all. The funny thing about it, apparently the dentist gives you instructions while you're under it and you obey him!!! So don't worry about anything. ?

It can be misleading today. The only reliable form is IV. If asked how much the answer should be along the lines as what you need or it depends. Dentists who use the same dose on everyone just don't get it.