• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Sedation questions

S

Susan Horsley

Hey, I am facing my fears and working with my dentist. We’ve talked about having sedation for anything above a small filling.

Most people I’ve spoken to can’t remember the experience. So my question is, what are patients like whilst sedated? Are they relaxed and not distressed? My concern is that I’d still be afraid and panicked but not remember it after. It would still be a nasty thing to face at the time but have non memory of the distress.

Thank you so much for your answers.

Hi Susan,

I can recommend you taking a look at the interview with Omar Iqbal here in this section. He talks in a very detail about how sedation works. One of the questions is how people behave while sedated and also how a dentist can tell if they behave differently and what the troubleshooting for that is. It will give you a very clear picture on how sedation works, what can happen and what not.

Hope this helps

All the best wishes

Back