• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Sedation worries.

R

Rhi123

Okay, so i've just recently turned 16 and i've always been afraid of the dentist. So for me to just get into the actual building is a huge step. I've had a lot of problems with my teeth and now part of my filling at the front teeth is falling out so I need to have a root canal filling. They are sending me to a hospital to be sedated, and i am SO scared. I have anxiety also, so right now i am thinking of all the possible things that could happen and all the things that are worrying me and, obviously, it's not helping but i just can't help it haha. I just want to know people's experiences or anyone a bit like me who's been through a similar sort of thing?
Just a little help, it's the whole experience im worried about. From the needle being put into my hand to me laying in the bed/couch (If i actually know anything about it) or me maybe being sick after or the feeling after. (As when i was put to sleep with anaesthetic, I nearly threw up. I know it's a bit stronger than sedation, but yeah)
Thankssss!

Hi Rhi... don't worry... everything will be ok. When they start your iv they usually spray some numbing spray on your hand where you probably won't even feel the needle. You will feel really good and relaxed and just fall asleep. When you wake up it will all be done. I completely understand your anxiety though. You are not alone. Keep us informed

Thankyou, reading into it on here and other websites had made me feel a bit better, but obviously the anxiety is still there and will probably be worse on the day or the upcoming days! Will just be glad to get it all over!

I know you will. Do you need that kind of sedation for rct? I have a feeling everything will go well and it will seem like it went by very fast!

Hello Rhi, if it's IV sedation, I've never read of anyone feeling sick after it. I certainly didn't. The first time I had it, I felt alternately giggly and sleepy afterwards, and the second time, when it seemed to wear off more quickly, I was down the pub the same evening for a celebratory (non-alcoholic) drink!

You will do great, Rhi! You will see.... nothing can keep you from being scared. We all pretty much are but afterwards you will come back and tell us how easy it was and be comforting us. I'm sure of it. ;)

haha, thankyou everyone. Well i went to the dentist and they asked if I would even consider having it done without sedation and I said no as they know that I am so afraid, so that's why i am! But thankyou, hopefully it will be okay.. well i guess i know it will but i just think into things too much :)
Will let you know how it goes afterwards!:)

I'll be looking forward to hearing back from you, Rhi. You could probably do it without the sedation but if you feel more comfortable with it you go ahead and do it. It will be breeze for you.

Hi, Rhi,
Just chiming in.....................
I agree with what everyone has said. I've had IV sedation many times, once for dental extractions and the other times for medical procedures. I have never felt sick after the sedation..............extremely sleepy, yes, but never sick.
You will do great and you will feel extremely proud of yourself when it's all over.
Many :hug5:'s!!

Hello Rhi!
IV sedation is amazing! I had it done when I needed my 4 wisdom teeth extracted. I was so nervous about the whole procedure (if it would work... the needle... everything!). But in fact it couldn't have been any easier. The needle they use is sooo small that by the time, if you even feel anything, you will be half asleep (or unaware):off-to-bed:. It works so fast and before you know it they will be trying to wake you from your peaceful snooze:cloud9:!

Wishing you all the best and keep us posted!! :thumbsup!:

Anthony

Back