• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Sedation

N

Nicky

I went to the dentist for the first time in 4 years this week.  Although the dentist was very pleasant. I didn't feel he took my explanation of how frightened I was on board (and I also suffer from panic attacks) and before I knew it, I was lying in the chair having my teeth examined with that horrible pointy instrument they use!  I didn't like it at all but managed to get through it.  However, as one of my lower front teeth is fractured, it requires a filling and I have an appointment in 2 weeks to go back for a "deep clean" and a filling.  I am terrified at the prospect of this, even though the dentist has said I can have some sedation with "happy gas".  I am concerned about having the mask on my nose - has anyone else had this who also suffers with panic attacks:  I am worried that having my nose covered up will bring on a panic attack.  Or am I worrying over nothing?  I couldn't possibly contemplate not having sedation, I really am frightened of the treatment (needles etc) and I just wish I didn't have to go.  

Hi Nicky!

One thing I do know something about is Nitrous (happy gas).  It just makes you calm and less nervous.  Give it a try if you have never had it.  It kind of makes you feel like "you just don't care" and don't mind having the work done.

As far as having a panic attack with the rubber thing on your nose, I don't know about because I don't have panic attacks.  It is just a piece of rubber that lays over your nose.  You can still breath fine but are encouraged to breath deeply through your nose to get the benefit of the gas.  After they will give you oxygen to bring you back to normal.  Think of it as getting oxygen in your nose at the hospital but this doesn't go in your nose, just lays on top of it.

I give you credit for getting through the cleaning with those instruments.  I couldn't have done that without the gas but you did - so contratulations!   :jump:

Let us know how things turn out.

Hi nicky,
Like you, my next appointment is for a deep clean/scale and i'm petrified too., and also suffer from panic attacks. I've been given diazepam to take the night before and on the morning of the appointment on the 23rd, and my treatment will be done under iv sedation. Maybe you could ask your dentist about oral sedation to take before your appointment? It may relax you enough to handle having the mask on. (perhaps you could e-mail them and explain all your fears?)
Hey, you did so well being examined with the probe..... Well done you!!! i havent even managed that yet

Good luck and keep us posted :XXLhug:

Thanks so much for your kind and supportive replies, it really does help to know that you're not alone with your fear! I keep trying to be philosophical about it and saying "in 2 weeks it'll all be over etc etc" but that doesn't last long! I think dentist surgeries are very intimidating, they are so brightly lit and "medical" looking and the smell is enough to make you want to run out of the door! :)

I totally agree with you Nicky.

Just the smell, lights, sounds, etc. makes me sick to my stomach. :drool:

This is a great web site and I am learning so much from it. The support here is great.

Good luck with your appointment. :thumbsup:

I've never tried sedation, but I'm extremely picky when it comes to choosing the right environment... don't think I could handle one of those really clinical-looking places, or places that still feature "the smell", even if the dentist was really nice etc. :p

Just an update - I went back to the dentist today 2 weeks after my initial consultation - I was having a deep clean and a filling to mend my broken tooth.

To say the last 2 weeks have been hell on earth would be an understatement. I was nearly sick with nerves and virtually in tears by the time I got through the dentist's door this morning. However, I opted for nitrous oxide sedation and I would thoroughly recommend this to anyone who is frightened of the dentist. It completely took the edge off and although I was aware of what he was doing, I was completely unbothered about it and relaxed. It really is worth having and I wish I could have been having it for the past 2 weeks!

The anticipation of the trip to the dentist is much worse than the reality and although I will be nervous next time I have to go (for my new regular check ups) I will try not to dread it as much.

That's great news Nicky! Congratulations!
:cheers:

Like you said, the anticpation is usually worse than the reality. (My own dentist told me that once the first time I got a filling.) Glad that the sedation worked so well for you!

:party:

-James

Hi, I'm due to be sedated next week and am terrified!!!! I've been waiting 3 months now and have built myself up to a right state. Did the sedation make you dizzy ? I have panic attacks and suffer with anxiety and really fear fainting and the feelings associated with fainting (sound like a right one!!) I had pethadine when I had my daughter and it made me really dizzy and groggy and I was just wondering if this made you feel like that? I hope i'm not having the gas though as my dentist hasn't mentioned that.... eek!!!!

Hi Vicky,

:welcome:

I've just read your post on the Dentistry Questions board as well, but thought I'd reply on here :). I don't actually have any experience with sedation at the dentists but I have had sedation in hospital a few times (same drugs and procedures etc) so hopefully I'll be able to answer some of your questions.

Firstly, from reading your other post, I get the impression that you're not 100% sure that you want the sedation and that the thought of having it could actually be scaring you more than having the teeth removed?

As a patient, you are also the customer (you're the one who's paying them after all! :p) and you're in control. You don't have to do or have anything that you don't want to - it's your choice. If you think you could handle having the teeth removed without sedation, then unless your dentist says there's a specific reason why you have to be sedated, I'm sure it would be OK without it. Don't be afraid to ask your dentist about it - you're perfectly entitled to ask as many questions as you like about anything you don't understand or would like explaining. Also, remember that most people (those without a fear or phobia of the dentist) have teeth taken out without sedation anyway because there's no need for it (that is, unless there's some specific reason why they need to be sedated). Many people who are scared of dentists/dental treatment also have teeth removed without sedation. You shouldn't feel anything because things will be numb from the local anaesthetic. It's your choice whether you choose to have the sedation or not.

I also have panic attacks so I do know where you're coming from - and they're also part of the reason why, although I'm completely terrified of going to the dentists as well, I couldn't cope with sedation in any form. Your worries aren't stupid at all, they're completely understandable :). If there is anything that scares you about the dental treatment itself, sedation isn't the only option - there are plenty of other things as well. Quite often, it can be as simple as finding a dentist you can trust who is patient and will take your fears and needs seriously. I don't know if you've seen it already, but there's a page about methods of dealing with dental fear/anxiety here:

About the sedation; there's also a page about the different types of sedation used here:

You didn't say what type your dentist plans to use, but from what you've written I'd guess it's IV sedation? Hopefully that webpage should answer some of your questions. From my own personal experience of IV sedation, it does make me very dizzy - as if the room is spinning - and that's not something I enjoy either :( :sick:. Everyone experiences it differently though. Some describe it as a sort of drunk feeling, while others say they're awake, but they feel 'out of it'. If you read some of the posts in the success stories section, quite a few people describe their experiences with sedation.

I hope this helps :). Feel free to post any questions or worries or whatever! :)

Hi Vicki and thanks for your reply... You are right, I am more scared of the sedation than the treatment!!!! I'm dreading it and as I mentioned before I really hate that dizzy feeling, I don't react well to anaesthesia really and it makes me very sickly. I'd just hoped that the sedation was different. It was my dentists idea as she thought it might make it easier for me as I do get nervous but she won't be doing it, it's another dentist from the practice who will be carrying it out which is even worse as I really only trust my own dentist!! I wonder if they will still take them out on Wednesday if I ask him if I can have it without the sedation... She said that another reason for sedating me was that they may have to cut my gum to drill the tooth from the bone..... Don't like the sound of that!!! EEK!! Has anyone else had that done? If so does it hurt or is it extremely uncomfortable?

Thanks again Vicki for your reply and your comforting words, thanks also for the links, i'll have a good read of them to try help me decide what to do.....

I wouldn't have thought that there would be a problem with you not having the sedation - if anything, I would think it's better for them (and you) because it will take less time. It shouldn't really be a big issue if you don't want it - maybe you could phone them and discuss it?

My mum has had quite a few problems with her teeth over the years and all her upper teeth are implants. She had them all done under local anaesthetic only - no sedation. Some of the implants were quite complex and involved cutting gums and drilling bones and stuff (urrghh! :scared: it makes me shudder just to think about it - as you might have guessed, she doesn't have a phobia of dental treatment!), but she said that as long as you don't feel anything (which you wouldn't because of the local anaesthetic), then it's OK. I would think it'll be a bit sore afterwards, but that's what painkillers are for ;D!

Trusting your dentist is important - particularly if you're nervous (and have panic attacks as well). Perhaps the dentist who is seeing you on wednesday is even better than the one you normally see? You never know, you might be pleasantly surprised :). Would it help if you could have a chat over the phone with him/her to explain that you might not want the sedation? I found that what has helped me a little bit in the past, is if the dentist talks you through what they're going to do both before and during the procedure. That way you might feel a little more in control? My last dentist was quite good at this but the current one usually doesn't say much once he's poking about inside my mouth - and this scares me because I don't know what's going on!

Hi Vicky - if you're going to have IV sedation, maybe my story will help. I had it today, for the first time, while my dentist did root planing. I too was very nervous, and had no idea what to expect. My dentist and his nurses were fab - very calming and reassuring.
They made a tiny prick in my arm to fix the line (which hardly hurt at all) then in went the sedative. I can remember about 20 seconds after the drug went in, then NOTHING. I know I was conscious (cos my dentist told me I would be) but I have no memory of the locals he injected, or the procedure. My friend drove me home and we giggled as I tried and failed to drink a cup of tea (still too numb after the local) and then I went to bed and slept for three hours. Now I'm awake with no pain and no memory.
Good luck! You will do fab.