• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Self-Image problems, how do you deal with them?

S

Susan

Im looking for info, advice, on how to deal with the self image 'issues' that I have concerning having full upper dentures.
I dont know how I will ever look myself in the mirror without the upper denture in. The thought freaks me out: What is the advice for people like me?
How does one accept and manage the self image issues?
:sick: :confused:

Re: Self-Image problems, how do you deal with them

Susan, I had full uppers in December 2005, and the whole procedure is not nearly as bad as what I had anticipated. The feeling once you take them out is "different", but it's not that bad. It's kind of cool 'cause I freak my wife out when she least expects it!! Seriously, it will be a period of adjustment, but there are also a number of good things. No more pain up there. No more cavaties, loose teeth, etc. Cleaning the dentures is a breeze, and they look totally natural once in place. I do not regret having it done, and since I have problems with the bottom teeth, I will be doing it again in the future. Keep a positive attitude, and look at all the pluses that dentures provide. You'll do fine. Best of luck to you.

Regards.