• Welcome to Dental Fear Central! This is a place for mutual support and any questions you may have that are related to dental phobia, fear or anxiety. It is run by volunteers with first-hand experience of dental phobia and anxiety together with dental practitioners who like to help. The "Verified dentist" badges will tell you whether an answer has been provided by a qualified dental practitioner. If you'd like to use all the features of this forum and share your own experiences, or if you are a dental professional who would like to contribute, register now.

We strive to promote a safe, friendly and trustworthy environment with our team of moderators monitoring all discussions daily.

Semi-Conscious Terrors and subsequent cycles of Semi- to Unconsciousness following Sedated Extraction of 3rd Molars(Wisdom Teeth) 1,16,17,and 32.

P

Pangeona14

Hi this has caused me HUGE stress and anxiety on understanding WHAT THE [Underworld] HAPPENED?

So I'm a 19yo FASD, ADHD, Asperger's child/man(personality and mental dysmaturity pendulum) that was scheduled for an Extraction of all 4 3rd Molars[Wisdom Teeth] on 3/19/2020 (Numbers 1 and 16 were erupted w/ no impact, 17 and 32 no eruption, impacting 18 and 31 respectively) any way, I was checked up taken back and an IV needle pierced into my right hand of something that my memory blurred, then I was administered Nitrous Oxide (N20) gas then the anesthesia, that my brain blurred the name of, free flowed into me, and shortly after I slid away from consciousness. In what felt like no seconds later, after surgery was done I awoke(somewhat) terror enveloped me and i felt like some unholy thing was behind me (ONLY FELT IT NEVER SAW) I began Crying for help, and sobbing, a nurse tried to calm me down but my terror increased in intensity, it all felt dream like but I was some what awake, suddenly my vision warped and shortly before blacking out i caught glimpse, for a nanosecond, of a HUGE black mass covering the wall behind me. then I snapped back into semi-consciousness the terrors intensified X power fold,I SCREAMED Yelled for my Mommy, Cried, sobbed, cried for help, and for my Mom in terror the likes of which SHOULD NOT EVER, EVER be felt by any living person now, the future, or beyond. The place felt like a war room chaos every where, although it might have been not as tense as was projected, and finally they said my mother was waiting for me, I asked in a terrorized voice "where?" they said she was outside waiting for me in the car. I then went into a cycle of, Unconscious to Semi-Conscious in rapid intervals. The last terror attack was when i saw my mother which involuntarily caused me to start yelling for her, and crying in fits of stressed panic, then i blacked out again and next found my self in the car breathing heavily feeling another terror was enveloping me, only to have all my terrors snuffed out when my mother calmed me down finally returning to a comatose-like state, my mom stated that i was just drooling(No blood oddly) gauze in my mouth which i was told to bite down on, I would have but every time my mother would stop interacting w/ me i went back into this comatose-like state(She said she stopped at a store and bought me apple juice and sprite zero there, i have no memory of this and i probably looked dead to people passing by from my comatose-like state) after one last Semi-Conscious awakening with my mom trying to maintain an absence of terror from my mind, I finally regained full consciousness as we turned in to our neighborhood. from there my body returned to normal getting exponentially more restored feeling and cognition, bleeding stopped 45-90 mins after arrival, and then my ADHD rocketed me back to normal energy(not able to lie down for long periods, I was antsy, which is my norm) the only effect i was scarred with was being paranoid to fall asleep fearing the terrors would once again strike which so far they haven't, still my healing is pain free and i am recovering exponentially faster than normal.

So, this brings me to ask WHAT IN THE WORLD HAPPENED?
What IV anesthetic was i possibly administered that caused me to have that Unholy experience?, and if not the IV, could the N2O do this to Me?
and,
WHY was I flipping between Semi-Consciousness to Comatose-like before regaining full consciousness at the last second going home?

Would love to end this Mystery to my Unholy Misery. (Note to readers: Sorry about the lengthy ramblings, it's how I am, i always use lots of details or just ramble on tangential events in my stories or when i am having conversations(i.e. like now), it is annoying when certain "things" are talked about, anyway that's my Asperger's syndrome branch so please don't get annoyed about the excessive ramblings i have no power over their quantity of lines, length, and/or level of detail of each event. Thank You for being understanding!)

Last edited:
letsconnect

letsconnect

Administrator
Staff member
Hi, is there any chance you or your parents could call or email whoever treated you and find out which drugs were used? In the scenario that you're describing, it would be unlikely that N2O would be involved. In the United States, there are a lot of different sedation protocols being used (unlike in the UK), so if you could find out what exactly you got and post back here, so that a dentist can comment? Thanks :)

P

Pangeona14

Hi, is there any chance you or your parents could call or email whoever treated you and find out which drugs were used? In the scenario that you're describing, it would be unlikely that N2O would be involved. In the United States, there are a lot of different sedation protocols being used (unlike in the UK), so if you could find out what exactly you got and post back here, so that a dentist can comment? Thanks :)
I'll try and attempt to contact him later. Closed Weekends.

L

LittleLynnie

Oral sedation is a lot like general anaesthetic, and that can cause extreme reactions in the brain, just like other drugs sometimes do. I second the idea proposed by letsconnect, above, because knowing which drug/drugs you should avoid in the future is very important. I am almost certain that your other brain conditions could have made this experience much different to what others would go through. I hated even reading about what you went through, so hopefully a dentist can explain more, and by knowing what drugs to avoid in the future, you will not have to suffer like that ever again. HUGS!

P

Pangeona14

Oral sedation is a lot like general anaesthetic, and that can cause extreme reactions in the brain, just like other drugs sometimes do. I second the idea proposed by letsconnect, above, because knowing which drug/drugs you should avoid in the future is very important. I am almost certain that your other brain conditions could have made this experience much different to what others would go through. I hated even reading about what you went through, so hopefully a dentist can explain more, and by knowing what drugs to avoid in the future, you will not have to suffer like that ever again. HUGS!
I was under general anethstesia combined with N2O(And they say people experience euphoria w/ it and a feeling of floating it barely did anything close to a euphoric effect to me it only made me yellow out[view became yellow tinted then faded to black] when the IV took hold) and YET it didn't stop me from feeling an UNHOLY ABOMINATION from far below hell, positioned behind me!

P

Pangeona14

UPDATED INFO!!!
The IV Used was Brevital Sodium (Generic: METHOHEXITAL) It's side effects match up perfectly with what happened to me for the 25-45 minutes before regaining Total and Complete Consciousness. Found it doing research for IV General anesthetics it was #1 on list and it's psychiatric symptoms line up perfectly! Now the question is: Why didn't the N2O damper the effects of Emergence Delirium from the Brevital Sodium? And why did it take more than 40-45 minutes to regain full consciousness?

letsconnect

letsconnect

Administrator
Staff member
I don't really see why N2O would be used with general anaesthesia :confused:. Would you like me to move this to the Ask a Dentist section so that someone more knowledgable can comment?

P

Pangeona14

I don't really see why N2O would be used with general anaesthesia :confused:. Would you like me to move this to the Ask a Dentist section so that someone more knowledgable can comment?
Probably to make me calm(I felt nothing not even laughed, no floating, no bright emotions)but N2O possibly wouldn't cut it with me to not start panicking during the procedure so they IV'ed me to put me under, I guess N2O speeds the loss of consciousness quickly? I don't know. All i know is that i never regained consciousness(Full Control of Body) until the car went up the driveway of my home and stopped. Till then I was either in deep Comatose or Semi-Conscious. It is possible that the effects of N2O and the Brevital caused an enhanced deepening of my consciousness and thus reduced the risk of me waking during the extraction, but I don't know. You can follow through with your idea i'd love to hear!

L

LittleLynnie

I used to have N20 before all of my general anaesthetic dental appointments because I was really afraid of needles.

letsconnect

letsconnect

Administrator
Staff member
The thing is though, according to the OPs account, the IV needle was administered first, followed by N2O?

I'll move this into the Ask a Dentist section, perhaps @Gordon might be able to shed some light on this...

Gordon

Gordon

Administrator
Staff member
Verified dentist
Pretty sure you weren't given N2O while in recovery, which appears to be at the stage where all this happened, even so, given the severity of the reaction you were having, it's very unlikely that N2O would be enough to suppress it, it just isn't that potent a drug.

In fact, are you sure you were given N2O at all?

The normal procedure would be to give you supplemental Oxygen while they were waiting for the IV Brevital to put you to sleep, then anaesthesia would be maintained with a gas agent such as Sevofluorane or Halothane. With Oxygen. When you got into the recovery stage then I'd expect just Oxygen to be given.

Hope this helps a bit.