• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Sensitivity after cavity filling, how long is normal?

J

jenny8484

I had a filling recently re-done (had a filling there done many years ago) on a back molar, when my dentist saw cavity there on an x-ray during an exam. I had the filling done 4 days ago and I noticed that the tooth is very sensitive with anything that I eat or drink that is hot or cold. How long is normal until the tooth "settles down"? I am worried the dentist may have drilled too deep.

Mine was sensitive for a week after the filling, then it calmed down, only to flare up with a vengence again after 4 months. I had a deep filling, so it could be why. My molar eventually settled to a mild annoyance/ache wvery once in awhile, but this took 2 plus almost 3 months. Was yours a silver or a white filling?

Mine was sensitive for a week after the filling, then it calmed down, only to flare up with a vengence again after 4 months. I had a deep filling, so it could be why. My molar eventually settled to a mild annoyance/ache wvery once in awhile, but this took 2 plus almost 3 months. Was yours a silver or a white filling?

It is a silver filling. I'm just hoping no real damage was done by the filling being too deep. I've already spent a lot of money on dental work the past few months!

Last edited:
Give it a few more days, say till the start of next week. If it's not better, call your practice again.

Drilling "too deep" won't make a tooth sensitive.

Thank you for your responses. I forgot to update this as a few days later, I went back to my dentist to get part of the tooth polished as there was a sharp edge cutting my tongue. Ever since then, I have been in pain. Taking ibuprofen around then clock. Went back to the dentist, she did an xray and does not understand why I am in pain as she said the filling is deep but not enough to cause pain. I went to another dentist last night for a second opinion. He tried adjusting my bite but I am still in pain... my next step is to see an endodontist...

Just to update on my situation and now I’m more confused and still in pain. Went to the endodontist who said it’s still too soon to determine if I need a RC and to come back if I’m still in pain for a month. A month! Meanwhile the whole side of my face hurts. It’s radiating to my upper tooth and the also down my jawline to the chin. I don’t know if I’ve exacerbated this problem my clenching my teeth at night, I did make an appt to get a nightguard made next week but in the meantime still in pain all day unless I pop Advil- and it can’t be good taking all this Advil.

Just to update on my situation and now I’m more confused and still in pain. Went to the endodontist who said it’s still too soon to determine if I need a RC and to come back if I’m still in pain for a month. A month! Meanwhile the whole side of my face hurts. It’s radiating to my upper tooth and the also down my jawline to the chin. I don’t know if I’ve exacerbated this problem my clenching my teeth at night, I did make an appt to get a nightguard made next week but in the meantime still in pain all day unless I pop Advil- and it can’t be good taking all this Advil.

I have been dealing with this for almost three months now. Early June, I had a filling replaced with a composite, because part of the amalgam filling had broken. After the numbess wore off, I was in a lot of pain. However, I was also dealing with a failed root canal, so my dentist said it was referred pain and to wait it out and take advil and tylenol. My jaw ached badly, and the teeth next to the filled one hurt. Mine was only deep in one spot. I was already at the endodontist for a checkup for the root canal, and she checked it and said it wasn't ready for a root canal and to wait it out. I was on 600 mg of ibuprofen every 6 hours for three months straight, due to the root canal, an oral surgery, and this filling that hurt! You can safely take advil, up to 3200 mg per day, which is probably a lot more than you have been taking. You can also take advil and tylenol together, since they metabolize in different places (liver vs kidneys).

Mine is still aching although not as much as it was in the beginning, when it felt like an animal was chewing on my jaw. About 6 weeks after the filling, the endodontist tested the tooth to see if it needed a root canal and it came back normal, so I am going in again mid September to get it tested again, if it is still hurting.

Just take the advil, as low a dose as you can manage, and alternate with tylenol as needed. I have been checking in with my doctor as well, to make sure this isn't having a negative affect on my body

I have been dealing with this for almost three months now. Early June, I had a filling replaced with a composite, because part of the amalgam filling had broken. After the numbess wore off, I was in a lot of pain. However, I was also dealing with a failed root canal, so my dentist said it was referred pain and to wait it out and take advil and tylenol. My jaw ached badly, and the teeth next to the filled one hurt. Mine was only deep in one spot. I was already at the endodontist for a checkup for the root canal, and she checked it and said it wasn't ready for a root canal and to wait it out. I was on 600 mg of ibuprofen every 6 hours for three months straight, due to the root canal, an oral surgery, and this filling that hurt! You can safely take advil, up to 3200 mg per day, which is probably a lot more than you have been taking. You can also take advil and tylenol together, since they metabolize in different places (liver vs kidneys).

Mine is still aching although not as much as it was in the beginning, when it felt like an animal was chewing on my jaw. About 6 weeks after the filling, the endodontist tested the tooth to see if it needed a root canal and it came back normal, so I am going in again mid September to get it tested again, if it is still hurting.

Just take the advil, as low a dose as you can manage, and alternate with tylenol as needed. I have been checking in with my doctor as well, to make sure this isn't having a negative affect on my body

Thank you for sharing your experience. Every time my Advil or Tylenol wears off I am in pain again. I am not really sure where to go from here... and dealing with lots of expensive office visits since my dental plan only covers 1 consult a year... ughh..

My dentist told me that if it is a root canal trouble, the pain will come on suddenly without any triggers and it will throb, almost like it has it own heartbeat. The pain will also wake you up at night. Is the pain you are feeling like this too?

I would also recommend taking a probiotic, which will help with the advil. I know advil aggravates your stomach, not intestines, but probiotics are used in ulcer treatments as well. My doctor recommended it for me.

I was taking advil around the clock for a long time. My jaw has just started feeling better, with the pain coming and going now, usually after chewing. I am finally off ibuprofen! It took about 3 months, though. It still bothers me, but not enough to need meds.

Thank you for the responses. The pain comes only after the Advil or Tylenol has wore off. It is also sensitive to when I eat something cold. I am starting to think I have a TMJ problem from clenching at night and this has aggravated the problem. The pain was worse after I got the tooth shaved down when it was sharp. I did have two dentists try to adjust the bite, but I am still in pain... and it radiates down my jaw to my chin.

Update- I went to the OS and he said that my pain is most likely related to the filling, but we will address TMJ issues next month after this is all sorted out. Oddly enough after that appointment my pain started to lesson and finally was able to go without Advil or Tylenol. Now I just have the sensitivity, especially to cold. I have been wearing an OTC nightguard in the meantime (though at times I take it out because it can be uncomfortable) which helps with the clenching problem which is probably aggravating everything, and also bought some tooth paste for sensitive teeth. I am going to wait it out a few more weeks and see if this sensitivity subsides any... hopefully it does.

Update- I went to the OS and he said that my pain is most likely related to the filling, but we will address TMJ issues next month after this is all sorted out. Oddly enough after that appointment my pain started to lesson and finally was able to go without Advil or Tylenol. Now I just have the sensitivity, especially to cold. I have been wearing an OTC nightguard in the meantime (though at times I take it out because it can be uncomfortable) which helps with the clenching problem which is probably aggravating everything, and also bought some tooth paste for sensitive teeth. I am going to wait it out a few more weeks and see if this sensitivity subsides any... hopefully it does.

I hope it completely fades for you. I also got an OTC nightguard, which seemed to help. The sensitive teeth toothpaste seemed to make my tooth more sensitive. I started using a fluoride gel toothpaste (Pro-sys) which helped a lot. Mine still aches every now and then, but I am not taking meds anymore

Back