• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Sensitivity, weird sensations, extra plaque

C

CourtneyM87

For about 3 months I have had weird come and go sensations, slight-moderate pain, moderate sensitivity in the region of the 3-4 back upper teeth in 1 quadrant of my mouth.
  • 1 year ago I had a cavity filled, pretty deep I was told. He packed it with medicine.
  • Back a few months ago, started having some pain, sensitivity....then was totally fine except for slight slight sometimes sensitivity. So this comes on and off since the end of March.
  • It's not clear symptoms or issues. I can't say, "This tooth hurts." It's more like, "It feels like the teeth in this section of my mouth don't want to be there. Sometimes there is pain, sometimes there is pulsating, sometimes the gum area feels slightly numb." Nothing consistent or constant or gradually increasing."
  • Gums and teeth look just like other gums and teeth in my mouth
  • I brush and mouthwash thoroughly twice a day, floss most days. Using a sensitivity toothpaste and Crest Extra Tarter protection mouthwash
  • no bleeding
  • doesn't hurt to eat...if it does, extremely, extremely minor I guess
  • However, this group of 3-4 teeth always feel like they have plaque buildup. Other teeth feel smooth, these feel gritty like
Any ideas?

Extreme dental phobias: scared of finding out something totally serious and very expensive like extractions, and also needles.

Last edited:
Hi CourtneyM87,

Difficult to say for sure, It could be the deep filling showing that it is not entirely happy. If it is, then it could go either way. It is good that you are not having actual pain, so I would go with it and see how it pans out.
Of course, when one is really worried about one's teeth (oh, must stop saying one, makes me sound like the queen!) then it is natural to constantly analyze every slight sensation and magnify it, so be aware of that. It that is the case the sensations will eventually disappear. Let's hope they do!
Best of luck

Lincoln

For about 3 months I have had weird come and go sensations, slight-moderate pain, moderate sensitivity in the region of the 3-4 back upper teeth in 1 quadrant of my mouth.
  • 1 year ago I had a cavity filled, pretty deep I was told. He packed it with medicine.
  • Back a few months ago, started having some pain, sensitivity....then was totally fine except for slight slight sometimes sensitivity. So this comes on and off since the end of March.
  • It's not clear symptoms or issues. I can't say, "This tooth hurts." It's more like, "It feels like the teeth in this section of my mouth don't want to be there. Sometimes there is pain, sometimes there is pulsating, sometimes the gum area feels slightly numb." Nothing consistent or constant or gradually increasing."
  • Gums and teeth look just like other gums and teeth in my mouth
  • I brush and mouthwash thoroughly twice a day, floss most days. Using a sensitivity toothpaste and Crest Extra Tarter protection mouthwash
  • no bleeding
  • doesn't hurt to eat...if it does, extremely, extremely minor I guess
  • However, this group of 3-4 teeth always feel like they have plaque buildup. Other teeth feel smooth, these feel gritty like
Any ideas?

Extreme dental phobias: scared of finding out something totally serious and very expensive like extractions, and also needles.

Back