• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Sensitivity when flossing

A

Askingquestion

I've recently got my dental crown checked by the dentist and told him I had pain when flossing one side of it (closest to the front). They ran some floss through it themselves, and also took a x-ray of it. They said that the crown is fine, and isn't compromised and is still sealed.

They suggested that this might be some dentin that's causing the sensitivity. And it's nothing to worry about. They suggested using sensodyne on some floss to reduce the sensitivity.

Honestly, I can live with the pain as it's seconds every day which is insignificant, however I keep second guessing myself, it's not that I don't trust my dentist as they have been great it's just my anxiety.

Does what that my dentist suggested it is, make sense? And really isn't anything to worry about?

Yes it makes sense and no it isn't anything to worry about. Crowns can often cause a little bit of local changes to the periodontium (the supporting structures of the teeth) which can expose a little bit of previously covered root surface, which can be sensitive.

The trouble with the nerves in teeth is that they're really dumb. They only send a pain signal when they're stimulated, if they would send cold/hot/touch signals as well as pain then everyone's lives would be so much easier :)

Thank you for the reassurance! That'll help me stop overthinking. Yeah, I haven't noticed any issues with pain when being exposed to cold drinks which I drink a lot of ice water! But, whenever that floss touches it, its a short sharp pain, but doesn't linger around afterward so it's definitely barrable.

Thank you again

Back