• Welcome to Dental Fear Central! This is a place for mutual support and any questions you may have that are related to dental phobia, fear or anxiety. It is run by volunteers with first-hand experience of dental phobia and anxiety together with dental practitioners who like to help. The "Verified dentist" badges will tell you whether an answer has been provided by a qualified dental practitioner. If you'd like to use all the features of this forum and share your own experiences, or if you are a dental professional who would like to contribute, register now.

We strive to promote a safe, friendly and trustworthy environment with our team of moderators monitoring all discussions daily.

Several problematic teeth, in the process of fixing but have some concerns...

M

missiri

I have severe pain and due to dental offices being shut down, I had to get in contact with an on call doctor. I was told since I dont have a fever and it's not impacting my ability to eat, to continue taking my medication (anitbiotics amoxicillin and pain meds) until they can see me on Tuesday.

However I've read about infections spreading, and I've been having neck and head pains, jaw pain, my lymph nodes are a bit enlarged . I've been on the antibiotics for almost a week and I'm feeling pretty much the same. I told them all of this information as well, but it seemed they still penciled me in for Tuesday as if it were not an immediate concern since I do not have a fever or any swelling / pus etc.

Do I need to worry about this infection spreading until tuesday? Should I go into the doctor and get blood tests? I already went in for an EKG and chest xray which showed nothing. (This was due to other pain I was worried could be related) I know tooth pain can make it feel like youre dying and I have SEVERAL, but I'm paranoid my infection is reaching or has reached a really bad point.

Its my lower left molar that causes the most pain, but I have problematic /decayed front teeth AND two back molars with holes in them too. This happened due to years of depression, abusive relationship that made me give up on taking care of myself. Fixing them all has been a journey - ive already had three previous fiixes (that went fine). Im getting partial dentures for the front teeth as soon as i take care of the molar issues.

The last tooth I got removed was a top left back molar and it has intermittent pain that radiates. I went into the dentist and got it looked at and xrayed and she said i t looked fine, just that it was healing rather slowly. Im sure having other bad teeth is not helping it heal.

Im scared and concerned for my health at this point, and need some reassurance... advice... next steps.

letsconnect

letsconnect

Administrator
Staff member
Hi missiri, this is a question which often comes up here. Please have a look at our FAQs:

Gordon

Gordon

Administrator
Staff member
Verified dentist
The bacteria which cause dental infections are very delicate wee beasties, they don't cause wide spread issues in the rest of the body, you won't get blood poisoning or sepsis or anything like that. The antibiotics you're already taking will wipe them out everywhere except in the infected teeth.

AngelCatMei

AngelCatMei

I have severe pain and due to dental offices being shut down, I had to get in contact with an on call doctor. I was told since I dont have a fever and it's not impacting my ability to eat, to continue taking my medication (anitbiotics amoxicillin and pain meds) until they can see me on Tuesday.

However I've read about infections spreading, and I've been having neck and head pains, jaw pain, my lymph nodes are a bit enlarged . I've been on the antibiotics for almost a week and I'm feeling pretty much the same. I told them all of this information as well, but it seemed they still penciled me in for Tuesday as if it were not an immediate concern since I do not have a fever or any swelling / pus etc.

Do I need to worry about this infection spreading until tuesday? Should I go into the doctor and get blood tests? I already went in for an EKG and chest xray which showed nothing. (This was due to other pain I was worried could be related) I know tooth pain can make it feel like youre dying and I have SEVERAL, but I'm paranoid my infection is reaching or has reached a really bad point.

Its my lower left molar that causes the most pain, but I have problematic /decayed front teeth AND two back molars with holes in them too. This happened due to years of depression, abusive relationship that made me give up on taking care of myself. Fixing them all has been a journey - ive already had three previous fiixes (that went fine). Im getting partial dentures for the front teeth as soon as i take care of the molar issues.

The last tooth I got removed was a top left back molar and it has intermittent pain that radiates. I went into the dentist and got it looked at and xrayed and she said i t looked fine, just that it was healing rather slowly. Im sure having other bad teeth is not helping it heal.

Im scared and concerned for my health at this point, and need some reassurance... advice... next steps.
Hey! Just wanna let you know that you're not alone in this. Understand how frustrating it is with covid-19 going on around the world. Really hope that everything will settle down soon.

I'm having ear and jaw pain with one of my bad tooth too. My lymph nodes are enlarged too. Keep taking the antibiotics and you will start to feel better soon, hopefully you will be able to get to the dentist soon as antibiotic is just buying times.

M

missiri

Thanks this is all reassuring, I get occipital Neuralgia type feelings from this too and it's a really scary feeling, so I just want to be sure the infection(s) aren't getting worse throughout my body. My appointment is tuesday so hoping for the best, at least on the left side of my face.