• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Severe Anxiety- infected and broken molar

G

Gandalf12

So I’ve had dental anxiety my entire life. I avoid the dentist like a plague. Because of this I have multiple untreated cavities that I know I need treated. Right now my major issue is my molar that broke off -get this- 3 years ago. The entire center of it is gone, all the way to my gum line. I’ve been living with this for too long and it’s gotten so bad that I know the infection is effecting my overall day to day health. I made an appointment with a dentist tomorrow but I’m laying in bed with my stomach in knots. I don’t know if I’m going to cry or throw up from this anxiety.

What should I expect tomorrow? They said an exam and rads was will be taken but I’m so ashamed I’ve let it get this bad. I’m also terrified that they’ll tell me I’ll need so much work done I won’t be able to afford it all. I’m not even 30 years old yet.

Hi Gandalf,

you are in the right place here and first of all: well done to have made the first step. Making an appointment and showing up really is the very hardest part and I totally get how intense your anxiety must be right now. Throwing up, crying, shaking, stomach aches and sleepless nights are nothing unusual when it comes to the first appointment and I hope you will feel a bit better soon. How about to read some success stories here in the mean time to get a bit encouragement?

Please do not feel ashamed for the state of your teeth. It is not something you have done wrong. Dental fear is exactly that: avoiding dentist at any cost, mostly till something very urgent comes and makes it necessary to go. The only important thing is that you now have an appointment and are decided to get treatment. This takes a lot of courage and you are being very brave.

I understand your insecurity about what to expect tomorrow. Here is a very useful explanation about what a check-up looks like:

https://www.dentalfearcentral.org/faq/check-up/

The dentist has seen teeth worse than yours, that's a fact. And he/she will understand your fear and won't make you feel bad about your teeth.
Do not worry about the cost yet, there are always options. You can discuss what work needs to be done immediately, what can wait and how to spread it.

All the best for tomorrow and keep us posted

Last edited by a moderator:
Well I went in and cried during the whole thing. But the doctor and assistant was really nice and only took X-rays and chatted with me. They gave me pain meds and antibiotics. They referred me to an oral surgeon for the extraction and also removal of all of my wisdom teeth. I’m glad I’m getting this taken care of but it’s so stressful. I made the appointment for surgery tomorrow because if I don’t just go and get this done i know I’ll put it off again. Thank you for your kind words and encouragement, it really helped reading it this morning.

So I’ve had dental anxiety my entire life. I avoid the dentist like a plague. Because of this I have multiple untreated cavities that I know I need treated. Right now my major issue is my molar that broke off -get this- 3 years ago. The entire center of it is gone, all the way to my gum line. I’ve been living with this for too long and it’s gotten so bad that I know the infection is effecting my overall day to day health. I made an appointment with a dentist tomorrow but I’m laying in bed with my stomach in knots. I don’t know if I’m going to cry or throw up from this anxiety.

What should I expect tomorrow? They said an exam and rads was will be taken but I’m so ashamed I’ve let it get this bad. I’m also terrified that they’ll tell me I’ll need so much work done I won’t be able to afford it all. I’m not even 30 years old yet.

I'm probably a little older than you, not much though. A giant chunk broke out of one of my molars when i was 19. Its been untreated now since 2008. I couldn't face going back after the root canal treatment i had last time. More bits have broken out of it since then. I just chewed on the other side. Now the other side had the same thing happen. I have surface decay and probably cavities in 10 of my other teeth and a badly chipped and broken canine tooth, a case of severe overcrowding and impacted wisdom teeth. I think even i'm probably only in the top 5 worst cases a typical dentist will see.

I'm glad it went well and won't break the bank.

Well I went in and cried during the whole thing. But the doctor and assistant was really nice and only took X-rays and chatted with me. They gave me pain meds and antibiotics. They referred me to an oral surgeon for the extraction and also removal of all of my wisdom teeth. I’m glad I’m getting this taken care of but it’s so stressful. I made the appointment for surgery tomorrow because if I don’t just go and get this done i know I’ll put it off again. Thank you for your kind words and encouragement, it really helped reading it this morning.

Be very proud of yourself for soldiering through your fear and getting your mouth taken care of. It’s s all uphill from here! :) Keep us posted.

Back