• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Severe dental phobia and need 10 extractions :(

M

msb3

Hi everyone

i have been suffering with severe toothache for just under a week and yesterday plucked up the courage to go to the dentist for the first time in 15 years.
i need to get the painful tooth extracted and also 9 others :cry:
My dentist is going to refer me for sedation and also for a general anaesthetic at the hospital but this doesn't help with my problem at the moment of having a very painful tooth. I am currently taking tramadol which is making me very sleepy and unable to work. I also keep being sick but I'm unsure why because this started before the tramadol was prescribed. I am absolutely terrified, keep crying and feel very low.

can anyone suggest any ways I could get that tooth sorted and relieve my anxiety without having to wait so long? Also I would really appreciate it if anyone could share their experiences of extraction. Has anyone else had this many teeth taken out in one go?

thanks for taking the time to read this x

I am not a Dentist.

But I would suggest you maybe go back and ask if they can remove the tooth that is hurting you, maybe if you can get the courage to do this you could proceed without sedation for the others. Also mention the feeling sick etc.

I am phobic, but I have found that I can bare most thing in the chair if I can get myself in there and stay there for 10 minutes, and count backwards from 599 every time I feel that anxiety thoughts taking over.

I also try and book the first appointment of the day, so I do not spend all day stressing and also normally means I am not trapped in the waiting room with the sounds and smell without any action, I try and get it so I more or less walk straight in.

Of course everyone is different but I have found extractions not as bad as the anticipation of them.