• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Sexual assault and dental phobia

B

Bonniesaidit

I recently discovered that my dental phobia is due to a sexual assault trauma.

Hi Bonniesaidit,

really sorry to read this. Sadly this is one of very common causes for dental phobia. We have a lot of materials about this topic here on the page.

Feel free to write / vent / ask questions, we are here for you.

I had know idea that my depression was brought on by the sexual assault which is the reason I felt so violated each time I was able to muster up the courage to actually show up at the dentist. I always left feeling violated and powerless. I would just sit in my car and cry. I never told a soul about my experience because I could not understand my own emotions. Now I've come to understand my dental phobia was a symptom created by the sexual assault. I had been seen (when ever I should up) by the same dentist for 20 years and never once did he mention my need for psychiatric help to deal with my phobia. Why are there no information on dental phobia and post traumatic syndromes (including sexual assault) information in the dentist office.

Why are there no information on dental phobia and post traumatic syndromes in the dentist office? Good question. Maybe they assume that people who are affected are receiving therapy already due to other difficulties. Maybe it's the respect of the fact that seeking therapy is a personal choice and everyone is free to do so or not, based on the amount of subjective suffering. Maybe they do not know about the link or they think the amount of affected people is not that big. Maybe they do not know how to deal with this topic. The most compassionate practitioners however will be likely to suggest a therapist as a good addition to the dental visits if they feel you would benefit from it.

Fortunately there are dentists, doctors, professors and other professionals practicing and teaching trauma sensitive care and the number is rising. Here on DFC we now do have much more materials about it than we had few years ago, covered from the perspective of mental care providers, dentists, hygienists and people affected.

Now this is a lengthy reply to what appears to be a question, but in reality is pain and overwhelm, feeling of not being seen and left alone while it must be so clear how hard things are with your past (correct me if I am wrong). You remind me of where I was few years ago and the delusion I felt as I found out... Not only having no idea there was a link between sexual abuse and dental fear, but not even seeing there was anything wrong with how I felt before, during and after visits.. The good news is, there is hope and there is help, even if the journey is not an easy one.

Back