• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Shadow on X-ray but I never followed up

H

Honda3118

Hi… this seems like a great place to ask questions without the typical mean spirited discussion on most forums. Glad to be here.

Here’s my dilemma: I went to have my top wisdom teeth extracted about 2 years ago. At the time they saw a shadow in my X-ray and stated that it could be an infection or need for a root canal and referred my to an endodontist. Unfortunately, I do not have the best dental insurance so it was difficult for me to find one that accepted my insurance and had openings. Long story short, I then went through some of THE MOST challenging times of my life. I had many other things to deal with and I pushed this aside.

However, now the more I think about the time that has passed and me not addressing this, the more scared I get that I let something dangerous go unaddressed. I have no pain or issues, it’s just that I never took care of this.

Should I be concerned after all this time?

Thank you so much for the help

However, now the more I think about the time that has passed and me not addressing this, the more scared I get that I let something dangerous go unaddressed. I have no pain or issues, it’s just that I never took care of this.

Should I be concerned after all this time?
No, the most dangerous thing that could've happened is you get toothache. If you can afford it now then get it looked at, could have been just an artefact on the x-ray for all we know. If it was a panoral film to check the position of the wisdom tooth then I wouldn't rely on it to diagnose a tooth needing endo.

No, the most dangerous thing that could've happened is you get toothache. If you can afford it now then get it looked at, could have been just an artefact on the x-ray for all we know. If it was a panoral film to check the position of the wisdom tooth then I wouldn't rely on it to diagnose a tooth needing endo.
Thank you so much for the response.

Whew… the more I started thinking about it the more scared I got. So you’re thinking is that it really was nothing to worry about? Even if it was an infection?

Thanks again

So you’re thinking is that it really was nothing to worry about? Even if it was an infection?
Well yeah, what are you worried about? If it's an infection, then it's a root canal or extraction to deal with it, not pleasant (nor cheap!) but not life changing.

Back