• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Shadow on x-ray but no pain?

AngelCatMei

AngelCatMei

Hi,

I went for a regular check-up and took a full x-ray. Dentist say everything seems good. Gum is healthy too.

However, he say he could see some shadow on my left lower first molar (the one that I doodle on). He did a cold test and tapping test on it. All was fine. I could feel the coldness but it is the normal kind of reaction that a tooth have toward coldness. It does not linger as well. He told me that it could be nothing as well since I am not having pain. If I am having pain then it will be an infected tooth.

Could it be that I have lesser bone there? Please kindly advise if you think it was an infected tooth. Thank you!

Attachments

• IMG_20190219_113426.jpg
    IMG_20190219_113426.jpg
    188.7 KB · Views: 24
Did the dentist take more x-rays? If he would have doubted that there could be something, I’m sure he would have referred you to someone else too also take a look.

Did the dentist take more x-rays? If he would have doubted that there could be something, I’m sure he would have referred you to someone else too also take a look.

He did mention that sometimes a bite wing x-ray can show a tooth health better. But he did not take any of it. Perhaps is because I don't feel any lingering pain for cold and tapping.

Is there other issues that is not tooth related that could show up as shadow on x-ray?

Anyway, thank you for your prompt respond! ??

I also had a dark spot on some x-rays and my dentist simply sent me to an endodontist who confirmed that no root canal was needed. As if it could be something else, I don’t know but it didn’t seem to be in my case.

That looks like a fault on the film rather than anything wrong with the tooth. I wouldn't worry about it any longer.

Last year I had a huge black spot over my two upper front teeth on an x-ray. My dentist referred me to hospital on an urgent pathway. Both teeth were vital and had never had any treatment. It’s the one time I have ever seen my dentist anything other than totally calm and unflappable. When she showed me on the computer I was quite scared. The hospital x-rays were completely clear, not even a hint of shadow. They called it something beginning with A, but I can’t remember what. Basically a ghost in the x-ray.

(Gordon, if you come back to this thread, can you please tell me, what’s the name of this? Maybe it doesn’t even begin with A? It is really annoying me now!)

Last year I had a huge black spot over my two upper front teeth on an x-ray. My dentist referred me to hospital on an urgent pathway. Both teeth were vital and had never had any treatment. It’s the one time I have ever seen my dentist anything other than totally calm and unflappable. When she showed me on the computer I was quite scared. The hospital x-rays were completely clear, not even a hint of shadow. They called it something beginning with A, but I can’t remember what. Basically a ghost in the x-ray.

(Gordon, if you come back to this thread, can you please tell me, what’s the name of this? Maybe it doesn’t even begin with A? It is really annoying me now!)

Is it an artifact?

Is it an artifact?

Yes! It was the first thing in my head when I woke up this morning - I was so pleased to have remembered. (I should have just googled it, of course.)

Beaten to it by Grumpybear :)

Back