• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Sharp Pain After Root Canal

M

mhp8982

I posted about 2 weeks ago about a toothache I was having.. hoping I wouldn't need a root canal. But I went in last Monday and he said.. "the tooth is dying, you have two choices extract it or a root canal" Of course I said root canal. They put me on antibiotics and I scheduled it for the following Thursday (1/13).
I went in and I opted to be relaxed since it was my first root canal. And of course they did two shots of Novocain to numb. This tooth has 3 canals!! It went pretty well. I really had no pain at all except for in 1 of the 3 canals. It has a little infection left, so it ached a bit.. so they decided not to seal it that day. So, he basically hollowed out the tooth and put in a temporary filling and told me to stay on antibiotics. They scheduled it for today. I went in, once again I decided to be relaxed. Everything looked good. The infection was gone, no pain when he tested it, however when he put in the things to fill the canals (whatever they are called), he told me I might feel some pressure. He did the first one.. a little pressure, no pain, nothing big. The 2nd one (the one that had the infection) it had a lot of pressure.. it hurt.. like a sharp pain, I told him about it, he said it should ease up.. it's just where it was swollen. It eased up just fine.. he went on to the next one, put it in fine. Then they sealed it up with the permanent filling and took an xray, told me to continue my antibiotics, scheduled me an appt for my crown prep/molding which is 2/17.

Went home, and relaxed.. still feeling groggy from the stuff they relaxed me with, and the Novocain started to wear off but still a little numb.. We made dinner.. a soft dinner.. lol We ate.. we started cleaning up the kitchen and decided to make some coffee.. and in the middle of doing that... I felt this sudden sharp pain, which felt like it was in that canal where it hurt earlier.. the one that was swollen. Same pain as when he jabbed that up in there... it eased pretty quickly and went to a dull ache..Obviously the office was closed by the time this happened.. so I couldn't call him, although I want to.. so I thought I'd ask here, and I can call in the morning if I should be concerned. Is this normal? Is it just because the novocain is wearing off? I feel fine now, just a little sore from the novocain shot spots. And other than that, it just feels weird.. I describe it as an "empty" feeling.. I'm thinking that's normal since the roots are gone and everything. What do you all think?? That pain totally caught me off guard... it almost felt like something in there shifted, but like I said.. it went away.. I guess there's a little achiness.. but i'm sure that's to be expected... I think everything may just be settling in there.. I hope that's all it is..

It's not at all unusual to get the odd random stab of pain while the novocaine is wearing off and your nerves are waking up again. I don't know why this happens but I seem to get it fairly regularly, even after a normal filling. So, you don't need to worry yet. Obviously if you get a steady pain in the following days, then yes you should ask your dentist about that.

John

It's not at all unusual to get the odd random stab of pain while the novocaine is wearing off and your nerves are waking up again. I don't know why this happens but I seem to get it fairly regularly, even after a normal filling. So, you don't need to worry yet. Obviously if you get a steady pain in the following days, then yes you should ask your dentist about that.

John
Hey John, I had a root canal 4 days ago in a canine. Now I'm having a sharp pain if I press on my face next to my nose. Any thoughts on this? Tyia

Back