• Welcome! This is a forum for anyone who is affected by a fear of the dentist, dental phobia, or specific dental fears.

We are lucky to count a number of dentists among our members and moderators. Look out for the "Verified dentist" badges. If you are a dental professional who likes to help, please join our community!

Register now to access many more features and forums!

Sharp pain when chewing after white filling

D

dentalwimp

I had a filling last Thursday (today's Wednesday) in an upper right molar.
I've had a couple filling before; but this time the filling felt 'high' from the start.
Had some general soreness and sensitivity soon after the treatment but I wasn't concerned. Then suddenly two days ago (that's 4 days after treatment) i felt shooting sharp pain when chewing my food which has now escalated to pain even when letting my lower and upper teeth touch. It seems to hurt when biting down and releasing.
So literally can even eat/chew bread.
Any ideas would be gratefully received.
Trying not to let my brain go into over drive on this as my imagination is already planning root canals and extraction but what I need is logical thinking and calm!

brit

brit

Super Moderator
Staff member
Re: Pain after filling - please read

Go back to your dentist. It sounds like the bite just needs to be adjusted especially as you said it felt high.

S

saralou35

Is it a composite white filling? Sometimes this can happen with them as it happened to me! Mine did settle down. It sounds like it’s might still be too high on it too

D

dentalwimp

Update - just back from the dentist and they shaved a little off and immediately the pain when clenching my teeth disappeared. However; just got home. Went to eat something and the sharp pain is still there when eating. I figure I'll give it a few days/week and then if it hadn't resolved I'll go back. Any ideas in the mean time why this might happen? She told me the filling wasn't deep so confused as to why it would still be a problem.

FearfulInMA

FearfulInMA

Super Moderator
Staff member
Pain after filling - please read

It’s likely that the soft tissue is still irritated/inflamed. I would try to avoid eating with that tooth for a week if you can. Don’t keep testing it - just let it calm down. If you try again in a week and it’s not any better, you should go back.

D

dentalwimp

***update***
Went back today. Saw a different dentist (not tbat I have a problem with the person who did the original, it's just this was the only dentist free). She filed the filling down again. I bit down on a form cotton wool ball and still felt pain. She filed a little more. Still felt pain. She took an xray. Nothing looked wrong. In fact she said it looked very healthy and again commented on how small the filling actually was. She put something cold onto a piece of cotton wool and asked if i could feel It - I couldn't, she said that was a good thing. She filled a little more and this time although I could still feel sharp pain it was slightly lessened. She said go home amd see if it settles. Got home, went to eat my dinner and it's still sore and sharp enough to make me wince and stop eating. Could manage some spaghetti on that tooth but could manage the bolognese. She was stumped as to why I was getting this pain and now I'm feeling scared and frustrated and down......any advise?????

S

saralou35

Sometimes with composite filings I think this happens? I’m not a dentist but I think if it doesn’t settle they can take it out and try a sedative filling for a few weeks to see if it settles down? Then retry another filing.

Gordon

Gordon

Administrator
Staff member
Verified dentist

Was it a composite (white) filling? If it hasn't bonded properly to the tooth you can get those symptoms and it needs to be redone.

D

dentalwimp

Thank you for everybodies replies. Yes it was a white filling. Can this happen randomly. For example I've had other white fillings so no problem so is it just a random thing?

brit

brit

Super Moderator
Staff member

Thank you for everybodies replies. Yes it was a white filling. Can this happen randomly. For example I've had other white fillings so no problem so is it just a random thing?
No it's not random. Have a look at the section entitled 'Composite fillings are technique sensitive' in the link below: https://www.dentalfearcentral.org/faq/fillings/

S

Spider

I'm having the same issue at the moment. Its been a couple weeks since I had my filling done and I still have pain when I bite down on food, especially crunchy things. I'm having SO much anxiety about it- I cannot bring myself to calling the dentist so I've been dealing with it by chewing only on one side and silently freaking out. It has been lessening... very sensitive at first but now I can chew soft things like peaches, but not crunchy cookies yet.

Enough about my issues ;) This may be helpful though... so a couple of years ago my husband had 2 fillings replaced and he developed the same issue in both teeth. He went back to have them shaved down a bit, but he still had issues with chewing food. It took quite awhile for it to calm down for him completely. Weeks... perhaps even a couple months (I remember him wincing for quite some time). He's totally fine now, but for awhile he couldn't use those 2 teeth for chewing (thankfully they were side by side).

How are you feeling now??

D

dentalwimp

Hello Spider.
Sorry to hear you are having a similar issue. I'm going back to the dentist this Thursday. When I called to book the receptionist said that this can happen and was reluctant to book my appt, suggesting it would settle on its own. She said becasue i had an x-ray done that showed nothing, it wasn't really anything to worry about. I dont know if that's comforting or neglectful??
I sooooo badly want it to be nothing but the pain is not getting better at all and it's very intense when it does happen. I'm currently in the mind frame that's it's one of two things: composite bonding failure or during the filling my tooth cracked? I just can't imagine 'sensitivity' causing this intense pain for this long. Still living off jelly, soup, well cooked pasta... And if I chew too much of that it can give me a sudden jolt.
I will update on Thursday after I have been. Are you going back to the dentist soon or are you going to try and rode it out?x

S

Spider

please update after you see the dentist! Fingers crossed its just an issue with the filling being placed incorrectly and is an easy fix. At the moment I'm riding it out because I haven't worked up the courage to call. I have another filling scheduled at the end of the month, so I might mention it then. I had zero tooth pain before this filling, and now I can't chew on that side of my mouth. It makes me hesitant to get any more fillings done!

D

dentalwimp

***UPDATE*** (SORRY ITS A LONG ONE)
So yesterday I went back to the dentist.
I asked the dentist if it could be the filling not bonding properly but she said it wasn't the case. We decided to take out the small filling so she could look at what was going on underneath. She suspected a crack somewhere. When the filling was out she took some picture of the tooth and put them up on a big screen to look at them closely. She could see a couple 'suspicious' areas. Not decay but there was some lines that might of been cracks, but she said it was hard to tell for certain.
The plan of action going forward was to pack the cavity with a sedative filling in the hope that it might suppress the shooting pain and that the soft malleable filling might (i guess) seep into any cracks and stop the pain when biting down. If that worked then I would go back and have a permanent filling fitted and probably a crown... however if it didn't work then it would indicate that the crack was too far down and the tooth would have to be removed.
That was over 24hrs ago now and the sedative filling has had no bearing on the pain when biting down, although i'll admit I dont really know how long it would take to work. It does however taste disgusting :(.
I think it was a good idea to try this option to save the tooth but deep down I know that an extraction is really the only way now.
I have an appt booked for Sat 23rd to discuss if the sedative filling has worked but I may ring ahead and change it to the extraction to save wasting time on the inevitable.
I will be having the extraction under sedation to help reduce the stress of it. The dentist has warned me that it may not come out easily and it may break during the procedure because of the crack but she will do everything she can to avoid that.
The sedative filling has been placed a little high so again im afraid i've literally been reduced to eating baby food, yogurts and slimfast but honestly I CBA to go back again to my dentist to have it filled down as I dont live that close and im getting as tired of seeing them as they are me :giggle:
Im happy to use this opportunity to lose a couple lbs :ROFLMAO:
I will post again once I know more, but for now I will return to my pureed Cow&Gate cottage pie

S

Spider

thank you so much for the update. I'm so sorry the pain is still there. Is the sedative filling supposed to help quickly? Its so strange there isn't anything obviously wrong, but with the pain being that strong, then something can't be right. Whatever happens, I hope you can start enjoying real food again :(

letsconnect

letsconnect

Administrator
Staff member
Extracting the tooth sounds like quite a radical solution... depending on your financial situation maybe you could get a second opinion?

Enarete

Enarete

Super Moderator
Staff member
As letsconnect suggests, a second opinion might be a good idea.. I would always get a second opinion before losing a tooth. By the way a receptionist that feels competent enough to decide if you are allowed to get an appointment or not would be enough reason for me to change the practice.

S

saralou35

I would also get a second opinion before extraction!!! Maybe if it’s a small crack a crown would work x

D

dentalwimp

Hello everybody - Thank you for your replies.
Just wanted to say, I trust my dentist. I've been using them for a while now and I have never had any problems or concerns with their practise. (obviously up until this last filling - but I don't hold anyone particularly responsible)
Everybody who is on this site is here because they have some sort of dental fear, and for me finding a new dentist for a second opinion isn't an option as it would take me several visits to find someone i feel comfortable with. When I joined this practise it took several appts before I would let them do my first filling - plenty of crying and rescheduling :)

With regards to the receptionist, although a little annoying at the time all she did really was tell me what many of you have told me, and that's that it might need time to settle. Much the same as a Dr's receptionist pokes her nose in when trying to book with the GP lol but i haven't taken offence nor will I make a judgement on the entire practise based on that :) Ultimately she did book me in and quickly.

With regards to the extraction - I have really thought about this. I don't particularly relish the idea of losing a tooth but we have talked at great length about my options. This is everything we talked about:
- First visit back we shaved a little off the filling (this stopped the pain when letting my teeth touch but did nothing for the pain when eating)
- Second visit she had a good look around, bite test, x-ray, and we decided to shave a little more off as it looked like there might be a couple tiny little high points still that potentially could be the problem.
- Third visit she decided she had to take the old filling out to see what was going on underneath. She could see 2 areas that looked suspicious. One I couldn't really see but one very clear line in the centre of the tooth (where I am getting the pain when biting). Additionally to this the dentine looked relatively healthy except for one patch near to the suspected crack with had slightly discoloured. She said it still felt hard, wasnt soft or spongy but might indicate that the potential crack had travelled further down (or something like this, I cant lie we were mid filling and I was shaking and scared so not everything went in). Just to point out though this was a theory and she openly said that. She refiled the tooth with a sedative filling. The plan was this; if the tooth pain settled down with the sedative filling then we could discuss a potential crown but if this didn't help it pointed to a crack that ran below the gum line ( which is untreatable )

Being as dental phobic as I am I have thought of little else since the 24th May believe me but there are a couple reasons im happy to have extraction:
1 - pain. I want it over now and to be able to eat normal meals again
2 - money. I cant afford much more intervention
3 - good clinical reasoning

I'm very grateful for everybody's thoughts and opinions. Its all been very helpful :):):):):):)

Last edited:
D

dentalwimp

PicsArt_06-18-10.05.15.jpg

This is a photo i found on the internet. It is NOT my tooth but i've posted it as this is almost identical to what mine looked like when the filling was taken out ( the crack that i said i could see and the discolouration )
I have added the black ring to highlight the part that looked like my tooth.

Last edited: