• Welcome! This is a forum for anyone who is affected by a fear of the dentist, dental phobia, or specific dental fears.

We are lucky to count a number of dentists among our members and moderators. Look out for the "Verified dentist" badges. If you are a dental professional who likes to help, please join our community!

Register now to access many more features and forums!

Sherrie's journal - a journy to trying to defeat dental phobia.

A

ACNLGal2013

Morning post. Cried myself to sleep last night. Feeling... just so out of it. Still not sure what to think anymore.

As far as the 6 month thing, I think I can put the status as this: I will think about it closer to the actual event and make up my mind then. Between now and then, i have Shopkins, at least 3 upcoming lego themes, at least 3 video games, a book, at least 3 lego projects, and Various YouTube videos to watch. The last thing i need to be doing is weighing in the pros and cons of a cleaning 6 months from now.

And i REALLY don't need to be thinking about it when Shopkins series 6 is out, 10 days until DMW 2 comes out, I've got Lego Mixels to build, there's HermitCraft Season 4 going on on YouTube plus HermitCraft UHC, and its exactly 2 weeks until the book comes out.

A

ACNLGal2013

been kind of a rough past couple hours. Up until about 4, things were... ok i guess. Not exactly feeling that good but feeling slightly better then last night and up until about 2 hours ago I managed to not vry.

Fast forward to about 4. Tears came a following out of no where and things were rotating between tears and my trying to stop tears. From about 5 to 5:10 I managed to stop and then i faced about another 35 minutes of off and on tears. Stopped about 15 minutes ago and so far nothing more. Tried my partials and things feel ok.

EDIT :Need to add a spare note. Am seeing why the "see you in 6 months" thing is really rubbing me the wrong way and making it hard for me to put it in the back of my mind for the time being. 6 months will put it April 3rd, 3 days after what will be the 3 year anniversary of me making the mistake of doing my dental journey.

Last edited:
A

ACNLGal2013

Currently out of it. Didn't sleep that well again. Probably just going to do the cleaning in April. Know I'll be kicking myself in 6 months but I guess that its better to be kicking myself a half year down the line then spending the next 6 months stressing myself out on the subject.

A

ACNLGal2013

*Groan*

I'm telling ya'll, "Aunt Flo" has a sick sense of humor at times. Its been months since she dropped by to deliver a "Gift" as a result of Stress combined with being overweight. It is still October 18th where i am, which is my b-day. Guess which "Aunt" has dropped an unwanted "Gift" on me?

EDIT:

UGH. NOW it makes sense why the Cleaning and Fillings effected me so badly at the start of the month. Apparently "Aunt Flo" decided to announce herself as dropping in for a "Visit" as the "Crazy Emotion" method.

Last edited:
A

ACNLGal2013

Not really having a good day. Here's a run down of the past month:

AF finished her run completely after about a week and a half. My mood went to being a lot better. Things have been going pretty well.

Well... today is a twist that makes me go "REALLY?" Yesterday while helping mom get her ACNL town restarted and dealt with, i was eating some really yummy Peppermint taffy things. I grab 2 more today and ate one. Well i'm not sure if my tooth chipped and exposed a freaking cavity or a defect or something but there's a weird very small dark area and rough area that wasn't there before and i'm starting to catch occasional aches. Adding insult to injury? Its probably going to be about a week and a half b4 the funds are available for me to start making a run to the dentist.

Are you fricking kidding me??? I did the right thing last month and not only went in for the cleaning but got the 2 fillings sorted out the same day, all without laughing gas. I'm brushing 2x a day, flossing 1x a day, mouthwash rinsing 2x a day, and i'm doing my best to drink more water and less soda. And on top of that I'm going to be doing the cleaning in April. And THIS is how my mouth thanks me???

A

ACNLGal2013

Money is available and i'm going to have to go in Monday. Tooth is really starting to bother me and am having Heat sensitivity issues. I ate some noodles w/ Viennas earlier and it was really uncomfortable from both the chewing and the food was still a bit hot.

A

ACNLGal2013

Money is available and i'm going to have to go in Monday. Tooth is really starting to bother me and am having Heat sensitivity issues. I ate some noodles w/ Viennas earlier and it was really uncomfortable from both the chewing and the food was still a bit hot.
Going to have to see how the weekend goes. Think the tooth is sensing the potential for a dentist run. Maybe i'm going to get lucky and not have to make a run. Took a couple Aleve at about 7 a.m. and knowing my past pain relief time with it, the bulk of effectiveness will have worn off for about 9.5 hours ago.

Am currently having no pain, no heat sensitivity, no nothing.

A

ACNLGal2013

Why did i have to go Jinx things... Tooth is causing problems again. Going to have to call in the morning.

A

ACNLGal2013

Accidently set the alarm for the wrong time and by the time i got moving, they had been opened for about 20 minute. I managed to get an appt for 11 a.m tomorrow.

A

ACNLGal2013

Went in today. They did a small filling on where i chipped the tooth at. Kind of having mixed feelings on it.

On one hand, i know that getting the small filling thing now will hopefully prevent issues down the line and, if possible, i'd rather not lose that tooth since i'd probably have to get a new partial that extends further back and... well ya'll know exactly how "Delightful" my history with partials are. That would be one expensive cost, both from a financial toll and an emotional toll, for something i'd literally only be using for literally 1 day a week for 4 hours.

On the other hand, I kind of wish i would of asked what would of happened if we took a "wait and see" approach or at least a temporary postponing of the filling b/c the bill was 235 bucks which means that we are now most likely going to have to postpone some holiday shopping.

A

ACNLGal2013

Nothing much has happened since then. Was supposed to go in for a cleaning but had to postpone. And Torture day has switched up a bit. Currently trying a 3.5 hour session instead of 4 hours.

Though when/if I go in for the cleaning, i should ask if i really need to be worrying about wearing the dang things.

A

ACNLGal2013

Currently stressing out. Unless my old dentist accepts the insurance i'm on or one i can trade to, i might have to switch dentists. I don't want to but the problem is money is tight and w/ my mouth it'd run us into the poor house to keep going to him. Cleaning, exams, and x-rays are about 180 or so and fillings run like 125 each i think.

And of course for the REAL fun. Thanks to this, i'm now feeling my Dental phobia trying to come back full force.

A

ACNLGal2013

Haven't made much progress. Checked a few things out, not much luck and might just have to use the guy my uncle used since the stress of trying to look is dragging me closer and closer to an anxiety attack.

Honestly its like part of wants to retreat back into dental phobia-dom where i was at least happier but I've found a major motive. Lose anymore front teeth and i might have to start wearing the torture devices outside the house all the time. I HATE those things worse then anything and the 3.5 hours a week i do is already horrible enough and if it wouldn't be for the fact that i wouldn't want to have to explain to the dentist how my partials "Accidently" Got flushed down the toilet, they would of gone white water rafting ages ago.

A

ACNLGal2013

Was supposed to do a call in to my dentist at some point this week to check on the status of the insurance and if they didn't take something i could switch to i'd then potentially set an appt w/ the new guy but honestly i wound up w/ a nasty case of cold feet and couldn't do it.

I know i need to do this but... I mean seriously come on. Ya'll know by now my history and how severe of a dental phob i am and how long it took me to be able to say "I trust these people" so can you really blame me?

A

ACNLGal2013

Will be calling my dentist in the morning to check on what insurances they offer and will see from there. I don't know what i'm going to do if they don't take it b/c my uncle pointed out today that there's a chance it might take time for his place to see me since he had to get a tooth yanked and it was a week b4 they were able to get him in.

If that's the same case w/ me, i'll have to find somewhere else since this would point towards it being long waiting times between appts on a more regular basis and that's not going to work w/ me. I know w/ all the crap i've been through that the longer the wait time, the worse i feel. Yet I can't put things off to long since when i went to brush earlier, i noticed a weird area on my canine(My right one) that's either some sort of like enamel dent or the start of a cavity and this is a tooth i can't mess around w/ since i know if that tooth goes rotten, i'm screwed.

A

ACNLGal2013

Time for an update guys. Called my place this morning and the insurances they take are ones where you can choose any dentist. Made a list of the 4 other policies i can choose from but by the time i thought about it only 1 was open to call. Ruled it out since there's no way for a non-member to call them.

Going to call the other places in the morning and also call my office back tomorrow. That weird looking area is turning a bit brown and i'm worried it might be a cavity. I tried brushing the area really well and i even used a rubber pick thing i have in a small kit to gently rub the area and i think the pick was starting to get hung up and the discoloring wasn't coming off.

Yea. Right. Great. Fun. I'm already fricking stressed out about potentially having to go elsewhere for a cleaning, now i'm most likely going to have to get a wonky tooth checked out tomorrow at my normal office?

A

ACNLGal2013

got a 2 pm apt and gotta get another spot on same tooth checked out also. Got what appears to be a shadow within the tooth. *Sigh* Its days like this that make me wish i stayed a dental phob.

A

ACNLGal2013

Groan. Back. Got a front tooth filling on both wonky spots plus need to save money for a cleaning.

A

ACNLGal2013

I'll have to go in Monday for a Upper partial adjustment. Guess that filling added bulk to my right canine and i noticed w/ my wear session today when i took the partial out my tooth really started hurting and i know from past problems that this is a wire causing pressure on tooth problem

A

ACNLGal2013

Called this morning and set up an appt for tomorrow. Couldn't find out for certain win/if the eclipse would effect us so i put it off since i knew we'd be heading in that general direction on the way out there. And AFAIK it never effected us in anyway. Guess to many clouds plus we were towards the edge of the path.

Ugh. I don't even want to do this since i know in about 2 weeks i'll be heading in again since i will have the funds for a cleanig but i have to do this. There's no way the excessive pressure on my tooth is good for it. That pressure would very well lead to problems down the line and the only thing that sucks more then me having to go in for a partial adjustment is the nightmare of having to deal w/ the whole process of getting a new one made and the adjustments and yadda yadda.