• Welcome! This is a forum for anyone who is affected by a fear of the dentist, dental phobia, or specific dental fears.

We are lucky to count a number of dentists among our members and moderators. Look out for the "Verified dentist" badges. If you are a dental professional who likes to help, please join our community!

Register now to access many more features and forums!

Sherrie's journal - a journy to trying to defeat dental phobia.

A

ACNLGal2013

Morning thoughts:

Got my lego shop order placed, slept... ok, feeling just overall "blech" today. just praying the way i'm feeling is NOT "Aunt flo" trying to do a sneak attack. I've got almost all the generic symptoms that fall in the "could be anything" category including the "aunt flo" visit category, but not the MAJOR chocolate craving or major hunger parts that means "she" is coming, or being really tired which is the last thing in the generic category.

I know if "she" drops in for a visit, i could go through with the dentist visit if I really wanted but... well... I can be an unpleasant person to be around at times when "she visits". combine that with an already uncomfortable situation, and i'd be better off waiting for the sake of everyone.

Nice and quiet in the house today since mom and uncle took off running a few errands. the apparently will be gone in a little longer then planned since they had a tire blowout(thankfully they have a spare).

K

kittykat

might not be aunt flo coming to visit....sometimes i feel "weird" when im anxious. all these chemicals and hormones start going crazy under stress and fear. could feel similar to the change in hormones right before

A

ACNLGal2013

Evening thoughts:

Am currently freaking out. apparently between mom and the dentist office, someone failed to tell my I wouldn't be facing a regular cleaning but a deep cleaning! REALLY????? I didn't even know that's what is going to be happening until it was brought up in conversation when we went to go eat with an uncle plus his friend and I heard mom tell his friend how i'd be going in for a periodontal cleaning on Tuesday! Sure maybe I should of taking the valium(10 mg at that!), laughing gas, and some talk going on about local numbing as a clue but I didn't since I do have a major dentist phobia and I figured they wanted me as chilled as possible.

but once again, REALLY??? it took me from the Wednesday or Thursday we went to line up the crap to this morning for me to kind of get myself kind of ready for the concept of a basic cleaning(or whatever the term is) and now this twist?

if I make it past this crap in one piece, i'll be in a more desperate need of a vacation more then ever(it's been 2 years and counting since our last real one).

Am currently watching different videos from my youtube play lists just to try and stay sane. Never thought i'd be thankful to be a playlist packrat.

A

ACNLGal2013

Morning thoughts:

Didn't sleep very well again. Getting stress by the fact that in 23 hours and 45 minutes, i'll be getting in the car to take my valium and head to the dentist(NOTE: get into the car as in PASSENGER, just to clear that up).

Afternoon thoughts:

Had a good afternoon. Went out to eat pizza at my favorite place with uncle and one of his friends. Tried 3 rounds of minibowling but stopped since it's now 2 dollars per 5 frame game instead of a buck a game and I wasn't bowling worth a darn so it wasn't worth continuing. Even when I slowed down and took my time, I was still getting more gutters and 1's then I was getting more then 5 or 6. And last time I played, I was able to get a couple strikes and this time my best was maybe 1 or 2 8 pins down.

stopped at target and found a lego highway cruiser set on sale for 8 bucks(retail is 12). It seems like there were a lot of city and creator stuff on a small clearance. Guess they are trying to make room for stuff that might still be in the stock room.

i'm not to wild about the overall look but 8 bucks for 129 parts that have not only lime green but also technic PLUS 2 of the bigger(but not giant) tires that I've been after plus it being something I can use to distract myself tonight is a GIANT win in my book.

Rest of today is just going to drag on. Unless I decide to pull out my legos to build, all I really have left to do today is tend to the dogs, watch rupaul tonight, have a very light dinner, and shower.

And at best that'll only take me to 9:30ish since i'll be doing dogs soon, then i'd hit the shower, then eat, then rupaul and RP's DR ends at 9:30. Well, technically 9 if I choose not to watch untucked.

Night time update:

Still freaking out. Decided to crack open the 4 lego animal friends series 3 polys I've gotten lately(NOT the post extraction pile ones) and decided to try and make my own building or something just from the parts between the 4 packs. Kept busy for about 15 minutes at most.

Watching rupaul. Double episode tonight, super steamed at result of the lip synch on part one. the stunt rupaul pulled is my second most hated one. not really even watching the current events of the second episode at the point, just worried about the "sissy that walk" fashions and who sashay's away.

Currently just over 13 hours until we leave.

:faint:

Last edited:
A

ACNLGal2013

night time thoughts:

Still panicking a lot. Want to sleep but don't want tomorrow to get here any faster.

ALMOST wish that i could of gone in today to get this over with since then i'd be sitting here DONE instead of freaking out but then on the other hand, then i wouldn't of gotten what was probably my last chance to hit my favorite pizza place for lunch and mini bowling b4 dooms day part 2 comes or get that lego set on sale today.

A

ACNLGal2013

Chapter 6 - Doomsday Part 1 morning

Didn't really sleep well. 1 hour and 40 minutes til valium time.

Still freaking out. just hopping that with me being tired that valium will really take effect.

Will update later on today or tomorrow pending how I am feeling.

A

ACNLGal2013

Part 1 is finally done

Took my valium right after we got in the car. Weird thing is a heard that valium is supposed to make a lot of people really chilled out, even super sleepy, but it did almost nothing for me.

It took until after getting the numbing gel, the laughing gas, the local sedation AND after they started b4 I FINALLY chilled out enough and fell asleep for a bit. Still wound up waking up towards the end though at that point, I just didn't care enough since I think the valium had finally kind of kicked in.

However at the moment, except for a little fatigue, I am not feeling that bad but who knows once the numbing finishes wearing off.

Depending on when they can get me in, I have to do the molds then at some point will be the "real fun" after the molds are ready then they still want me in for a cleaning after that!

ugh!

A

ACNLGal2013

afternoon thoughts:

Honestly don't know which is worse, just going through the deep cleaning or waiting for the next part to happen!

On one hand, the deep cleaning was a lot for me to handle, even with the valium, laughing gas, and local numbing on board but on the other hand, which is really weird, is that the numbing's worn off but im not in pain. Probably the aleve I took(1 capsule) a few hours ago but it seems like I still should be feeling some pain or discomfort.

But then the next part is the mold process and I have no clue at all when that'll be and after that is the big event AND there's still one more cleaning to come. and all 3 of those dates will mend on when they can get me in for first of the 3 parts.

UGH

A

ACNLGal2013

Chapter 7 - molds are done and random thoughts!

Went in this morning. Had to do a top then bottom mold, then the dentist came in to do a double check on which teeth need what done, then a second set of molds. would be REALLY nice if they had a flavored version of the mold goop. YUCK! kind of surprised that i didn't loose a part of one my teeth that are bad shape especially since the 2nd goop molds seemed to hold on a lot tighter.

Hit McDonald for lunch and even got 4 Nintendo zone relay hits on my xl. No ACNL houses but at least I got 4 new puzzle pieces today plus finally burst through the fire wall stage in Find me II.

Will now be a waiting game b/c according to the searches i did online, average denture/partial denture prep time as far as making them appears to be 3(ish) weeks but can go either way.

at least i'm pretty well set in ways to keep busy. I have a few Lego rebrickable projects I want to try, some sets I have that I haven't opened(those are separate from the post D-day part 2 trip pile), and I have been meaning to pull out new super Mario bros 2 3ds for a while now.

I've played NSMB2 in the past especially since that was the game that i pre-ordered to play on my 3ds xl(both came out the same day) but i haven't really had a chance lately. I really need to do that sooner then later since my Street pass data capacity is at 7/15 so i need to clear out my challenges section. might do that after i finish doing a spring cleaning session on my youtube lego playlist. Been a while.

Plan for D-day part 2 is to take the valium just a little earlier then the 1 hour mark since I realized that it took longer for it to completely hit my system. Maybe it has to do something with me being a chunky monkey :confused:.

EDIT: sorted out my lego playlist and cleared out my Watch later list. just gotta brush then it's Mario time for just a little bit!

Last edited:
A

ACNLGal2013

afternoon thoughts:

One of these days, i'm going to learn NOT to begin looking around online b4 dentist day. Was just starting to look around online about extractions and what happens and I have lost my appetite. However, I DID bookmark the article on e-how since that does make an effective appetite suppressant.

to an extent, I hate this waiting game. I could very well get a call on Monday saying its ready or it'll be another 2 weeks or who knows.

Been trying to keep busy but it's hard with part 3 of the visits(D.C., then the molds, next is the "fun" day, and finally a cleaning) looming.

R

Rod

Hello Sherrie,

First let me say it takes alot of courage to do what you are doing. I just got back from my dentist after having a back molar pulled. Actually I was more afraid of the pain after, then the actual pulling. And yes I had IV sedation. My son however uses gas and numbing for extractions. He has more fear of being put to sleep then the pulling. Go figure. He does get the dentist to really crank the gas though...Maybe you could get the dentist "crank" the gas a little more for you if IV is out of the ?...Anyway I wish you the best of luck..And please stick with it..Rod

A

ACNLGal2013

Hello Sherrie,

First let me say it takes alot of courage to do what you are doing. I just got back from my dentist after having a back molar pulled. Actually I was more afraid of the pain after, then the actual pulling. And yes I had IV sedation. My son however uses gas and numbing for extractions. He has more fear of being put to sleep then the pulling. Go figure. He does get the dentist to really crank the gas though...Maybe you could get the dentist "crank" the gas a little more for you if IV is out of the ?...Anyway I wish you the best of luck..And please stick with it..Rod
I actually had thought about asking them to crank it up but at that point, I began fading out but I woke back up pretty fast since they layed the chair back on me right be the point of totally being out and by the time they came in to start the actual work, I was trying to focus on chilling out and actually I wound up conking out shortly after that point and waking up right towards the end.

Felt weird once the laughing gas really kicked in and I guess by that point the valium must of kicked in. at first it was kind of like a buzzing sensation going from my nose down to my stomach and then almost like up to my whole head then next then I remember was I was Kind of like I was half awake, half asleep and feeling myself falling asleep slowly. But then I felt myself going back(gotta be when someone was reclining the seat) and I was awake again. I wound up staying awake for a short time once they started then I was out cold for a while.

for the next round, i'll be popping the valium just a little earlier then the 1 hour mark and hopefully i'll be out cold BEFORE they start.

Can not wait for that to be over with.

A

ACNLGal2013

Night time thoughts:

Been enjoying playing NSMB2 again. Got my total, including the coins from b4 I started playing again, to about 780K. I even downloaded another DLC coin rush pack, the first one. Got 16,800 coins which is now my all time high on the coin rush challenge.

Besides that, kind of puttered around my lego collection and youtube but not much else. Not exactly easy to focus on much with D-day Pt 2 being who knows when.

A

ACNLGal2013

Morning thoughts:

was not far off from the "Aunt flo" sneaking up feeling. at least she decided to give me a little warning this time!

can't believe it's only been 4 days since molds. Even if the partials are ready next week, i'm holding off until the week after. Me + "aunt flo" = me tending to be really grumpy at times so I don't think extractions and fillings and getting the partials(a trifecta that's already going to be pushing my limits) and "aunt flo" will mix.

Current plans: Try and do anything to keep busy b4 I drive myself nuts

A

ACNLGal2013

Evening thoughts.

Not really all that much going on at the moment. Haven't heard anything from the office but who knows what next week will bring.

In a way i'd love to do it next week if I could(yea right. I doubt that both partials, one being plastic, and one being metal, would be ready in a week and a half), but on the other hand, we have plans going on Monday and plans on Wednesday AND something going on that weekend(all 3 I don't want to miss out on), so i'd rather it not be next week.

A

ACNLGal2013

night time thoughts:

No word from the office yet. can't wait to get this crap over with. Getting tired of having to swish out bits of stuck food from a few areas of my bottom teeth and tired of pretty much spending every day just climbing the walls waiting for the day to come.

Tried doing a few things to keep busy but nothings helping. Emailed them tonight to see if they have an idea when the partials might be ready.

A

ACNLGal2013

Chapter 8 - doomsday part 2 has a date: Monday morning

am officially freaking out! Just got call from office not that long ago. partials are READY. after talking with my mom about it, I've scheduled it for appointment scheduled for Monday at 9 am only for the sake of getting it over with since they don't do Appointments on Thursday or Friday and anyways, we have plans going on in a couple days.

I am NOT a morning person and can be very unpleasant if woken up too early so this is going to suck so much! Talked to them about the valium and they will be calling it in to the pharmacy soon. Not like the stuff did much that much to help me the last time(took the edge off but that's pretty much it) but taking into account how freaking stressed i'll be PLUS the having to wake early for it, i'll try it again.

I had mentally prepared myself for a "ok, they'll probably call me next week saying it's ready and they'll probably have me down for a Wednesday at the earliest, maybe the week after" Scenario not a "partials are ready and I can set up an appointment whenever i'm ready" route.

am currently somewhere between "oh crap less then a week till dooms day" and "YES! that means that this time next week, the work will be DONE!"

now comes the fun part: the waiting game. Problem is that there might be a few things I can do to keep busy but not much

EDIT for the night:

Valium's been secured, last of the soft food stuffs that I need have been secured, personal FM radio has been secured. Even scored a CSI NY novel for 3 bucks!

supplies are ready, but i'm not! I mean I know that if I don't this done now, i'll be kicking myself down the line for not getting it done at this point but on the other hand, I haven't had enough time to mentally prepare myself for this.

however, it'll be nice to get to did into my post surgery lego pile... at least the first part. Currently waiting on my lego Pick a brick stuff to show up.

Last edited:
A

ACNLGal2013

Night time thoughts:

currently using the FM radio to test it out. Had to ask mom if she had a pair of ear buds I could borrow since the ones that come with the system aren't that comfortable. I mean the existing ones are fine for a short stint but not for the marathon session at the dentist office. Managed to even catch my favorite radio station on it :D

still in the process of trying to mentally prepare myself for things. Currently everything except me is ready for this!

A

ACNLGal2013

Morning thoughts:

Can't believe that in less then 48 hours, i'll be heading into the office for the next part. too tired to freak out at the moment. Haven't really found much to do to keep busy.

A

ACNLGal2013

wee hours of the morning thoughts:

1 AM. want to sleep but this is pretty much the only time of day that I've been able to be alone with my thoughts lately. can't believe in just under 32 hours now, i'll be at the office being prepped for the big event. *SHUDDER*

Beginning to wonder which will be harder: the actual event or the post events. Sure, the big event is going to take a lot out of me but then afterwards, i'll be on a squishy food diet until I heal up enough then I'll have to completely relearn how to eat. Over the past half dozen years or so, I spent a ton of time(plus some trial and error) learning how to eat, what I can eat, what I can't eat, and being able to choose out a quick snack or something off the restaurant menu pretty fast. But after this, that's going to leave me at ground zero.

Then on top of that, I've grown used to being in charge of having to feed and water the dogs and give them medicine if needed(both inside and outside dogs) and going most of the work. Afterward the procedure, it'll be up to my mom and uncle until i'm up to taking it back over.

not really much planned for tomorrow, not sure how i'll keep myself entertained much of the day. Guess my current plan is to wrap up online and get to bed at some point... after I finish enjoying the peace and quiet around here. :innocent:

Last edited: