• Welcome! This is a forum for anyone who is affected by a fear of the dentist, dental phobia, or specific dental fears.

We are lucky to count a number of dentists among our members and moderators. Look out for the "Verified dentist" badges. If you are a dental professional who likes to help, please join our community!

Register now to access many more features and forums!

Sherrie's journal - a journy to trying to defeat dental phobia.

A

ACNLGal2013

21 hours until the event. didn't sleep well this morning( it was 2:45 am when I headed to bed and I was up by 10ish). Feels like the time is just dragging by.

A

ACNLGal2013

10 hours(give or take) till i'm getting prepped for the "fun". Got to eat at a buffet place I really like this afternoon as an early dinner. Starting to get tired. I know that I should get to bed since we'll have an early morning, but on the other hand, I don't want tomorrow to arrive any faster then it has to. pretty much the only thing I have to look forward to tomorrow is getting to open a set or 2 from my post procedure lego pile and rupauls drag race tomorrow night.

I guess on one hand that I should be glad that i'm this close to being done with the worst part of what I need to get done but on the other hand, I am not sure how much more I can take. I've had to deal with the initial visit, the deep cleaning, the molds, now the extractions and fillings and getting partials happening tomorrow, and they still want me in for a final cleaning.
:faint::frantic::faint::frantic::faint::frantic:

A

ACNLGal2013

Chapter 9 - an unexpected twist

turns out due to human error on the office's end, the partials actually aren't going to be in until the 6th! I got to make the call on what would happen and I chose to get it over with.

Turns out since the bottoms are metal, they want to wait until the partials are in to do that one. However, I did get 7 extractions on the top though... yea... that's about as fun as it sounds.

Got my radio on, got the gas, got the numbing gel, and injections a short time afterwards. kind of faded in and out through the work.

When I got back, I removed the gauze to down a baby food pouch and a pain pill and put some fresh gauze on the spots still bleeding a bit.

Currenty wishing i'd stop drooling and sliming the gauze so I could get the last of the bleeding to stop. Since I technically didn't have all the work done, I still have to keep a lot of the post procedure lego sets sealed for now but I get to open a couple. Trash chomper is going to be built soon :D

A

ACNLGal2013

Chapter 9.5 - updates

stopped most of the excess drool a couple hours after the post and also built my lego trash chomper set. Over the course of the afternoon, I ate the taco bell meal I got. Mom would chop up one item at a time for me really well and i'd have one thing at a time. had some ice cream for dessert.

guess my current game plan is focusing on resting, healing, and trying to prepare myself for round 2 of extractions and fillings.

REALLY would of loved to get all this crap out of the way today but I guess I shouldn't really be complaining about being almost half way done now.

A

ACNLGal2013

Morning thoughts:

I chose to assemble the trash chomper set on Monday and the technic backhoe loader yesterday and I'll save the rest of the sets for afterward the second round. Can't wait to get the second round done.

it REALLY sucks having to wait for the next round to start since i'm pretty much back to climbing the walls at the moment.

A

ACNLGal2013

Evening thoughts:

Not sure how much more I can take. Already had to go through 4 appointments and still have 2 left. time is just dragging by.

Can't eat normally, am having to eat whatever soft or mushy/mushed up foods I can put together or if mom chops up something really good. Like tonight was mushed up chicken w/ noodles and desert will be dump cake soaked in milk. sure it sounds good but when you're craving solids, the mushy route doesn't really work.

i mean yea i couldn't eat that well b4 either, but at least i could eat a corndog or a PB&J or something.

I have stuff to do but nothing has kept me busy for long enough to make much difference in making the time pass more smoothly.

A

ACNLGal2013

afternoon thoughts:

Decided to play a couple Gameboy games I downloaded on my 3DS XL and have been watching random stuff on youtube. Never thought i'd be thankful for forgetting to clean out my favorites list. I found the epic fail light switches video, brickcrate's how to sort lego video, the minifig presentation at brikcon video where the guy compare the CMF's to a virus, the epic fail ACCF is evil video, and several other goodies for a total of 44 videos and 4 hours and 5 minutes of video watching pleasure!! I may just having finally found something to keep me busy.

Still am freaking out about Tuesday but at least I finally found something to distract me.

EDIT: Correction. First i'll have to get my favorites up to date THEN it can keep me busy.

Last edited:
A

ACNLGal2013

Evening thoughts:

Roughly 37 hours till the next part. To an extent, i'm actually starting to look forward to it(OMFG, am I the same person from 2 months ago???). Don't like the "vampire" look with my front teeth at the moment. at least I found a few things to do to keep busy.

A

ACNLGal2013

evening thoughts -

getting close to the appointment. Valium is ready, FM radio is ready, and i think i'm ready. Been playing some Kirby's dreamland 1&2, super Mario land 3: 6 golden coins, and animal crossing wild world. Worked really nice at keeping me busy yesterday and today. managed to score a nice big 45 gallon tote to round up some lego related stuff on my bed at some point. Guess i'll head to bed and get some rest.

A

ACNLGal2013

Chapter 10 - Victory is mine!

Got done about 6 hours ago. Looks like about 7 or 8 extractions done plus 1 filling. and Got my upper and lower partials in :D Will have to use moms phone to send a current image to my email so I can share my new smile

I was aware for about a third of the work but at least the numbing worked until I need a top off in one area. And the FM radio did really well at blocking off noises.

And that means that since all the extractions are done, the rest of my post extraction lego stash is free game. assembled the ice cream machine earlier and planning on cracking open my mini off roader tomorrow.

took pain killer earlier and just took another at 5(yes I am following the instructions and I am writing it down). What's not helping is that the bottom partial keeps shifting a bit. not by a lot but just enough to be REALLY annoying, causing minor discomfort, can't shut my mouth right when it shifts the right way, and might be the main cause of the excess drooling at one point.

Uncle called about 50 minutes ago and I have a 10:30 appointment for tomorrow since the shifting denture is actually what is causing the most discomfort at the moment. I get that there's bound to be shifting with the denture, but this is getting really aggravating!

not sure how the heck i'll eat tonight. Might be a couple baby food pouches and a malt for me tonight.

A

ACNLGal2013

Solved the dinner problem. Got a malt and an order of fish and tater tots and mom chopped it up pretty good. Not the easiest to get down but I managed. Plus I've been trying to drink extra water tonight. Thankfully I have a little extra of my flavored water mix available but I might need some extra mix soon.

I think things might be starting to settle on the bottom partial but something on left side partial is poking me and I could see that causing a sore plus i'm still feeling some shifting especially towards the front when trying to swallow food or drink so i'm still going to go in tomorrow. Side note with the food and drink: Beverages are drunk with no straw, water is poured into my mouth from a bottle, I had a spoon I used to get the malt into my mouth(mostly a pouring it from the spoon scenerio since mom asked them to ask a little extra milk), and i'm doing my best to eat carefully and only soft, mushy, or well chopped up stuff.

had to grab another pain pill a little while ago. If it wouldn't be for the bottom partial being a pain in the ash, I wouldn't of needed one tonight. things aren't at pain levels at the moment but I could see it getting there when I begin moving around in my sleep tonight.

I am starting to talk a bit but it's pretty weird.

A

ACNLGal2013

Morning thoughts:

Bottom partial still shifting around a bit. Hungry, but not going to bother to eat until after the appointment since i'm getting tired of the thing shifting around and swallowing seems to make things shift faster. Something is defiantly poking me on the left side. I think it's the plastic part of the dentures doing the poking.

carole

carole

Super Moderator
All the best for your appointment. :butterfly:

A

ACNLGal2013

All the best for your appointment. :butterfly:
Went in this morning and got some adjustment done to the left side. They still want me in on Monday for another adjustment if I decide I need one. Will defiantly have to go b/c both sides in the back are now starting to pop up when I talk. ARGH

Wasn't to bad when he took out the bottom partial for adjustment except for one spot . MOST of my mouth didn't put up a fight with letting the partial go but one spot in the front(remember the tooth in the front lower that was almost completely busted to the gum line from entry #2?) was hanging on for dear life and it took a little wiggling and fighting. Not fun with him having the put it back in either since that spot was a bit tender.

I'm planning on removing the top partial tonight to brush but i'm not going to remove the bottom until that sore spot becomes less tender. Will just brush the remaining bottom teeth the best I can.

A

ACNLGal2013

Evening thoughts -

Miserable. Challenge learning how to eat or drink with partials, got 2 areas on the bottom dentures that WILL need a tweak on Monday since they are rubbing the inside of my mouth and the top needs a tweak on the part that's between the lips and gums plus the right wire is a little off at the moment plus a swear I keep hearing a weird creaking once in while, I did manage to remove the upper partials this morning but the part that needs to be tweaked was rubbing a sore part of my gums when putting it in and taking it out so i'm not really in a rush to do that again but I have to at brush in the morning, still am talking in pretty much semi garbled speak at times, I am starting to wonder if it's possible for one to miss there old teeth even if they were in bad shape, and am currently just trying to stay sane.

Overall it's an uphill battle that i'm having to take one day at a time.

A

ACNLGal2013

afternoon thoughts:

Took out the uppers to brush the real teeth that are left this morning. Having to leave it out since once again, that to long part in the front was rubbing the wrong way when I was taking them out and I was finding it a little painful and am NOT in a rush to begin putting them back in. I'm actually a lot happier at the moment since wonderful thing has happened since I took them out: I can actually swallow food a lot more easily without the top and bottom partials tag teaming on me. Am debating about going w/o the upper partial for the weekend and popping it back on Monday to give the sore area a break.

Had to remove the bottoms recently since I really needed to give my mouth a break. Got a couple sore areas. Might have to keep them out for the time being since one fricking area(the same spot from the follow up appointment) was hanging on for dear life again. Gotta see if there's anyway they can loosen up that area a little bit on Monday.

Feeling ok today, pretty much just hanging in there.

A

ACNLGal2013

afternoon thoughts:

Miserable. Not really looking forward tomorrow to having to head back into the dentist to deal with the bottom partial. REALLY hoping that he says the bottom gums are 2 swollen and I have to go sans bottom partial for the time being or at least they can get rid of the stupid front replacement teeth(2 small ones) for now since that's where the major problem is coming in. I tried doing the bottom partial yesterday and it was like a knife stabbing me in the lower gums where the front replacement tooth is. Uppers are at least kind of agreeing.

Currently not even hungry. Only reason i'm getting ready to eat is that it's been about 24 hours since I last ate and I know from experience I can only go about a day w/o food b4 I start feeling bad.

A

ACNLGal2013

Chapter 11 - The long appointment.

I went in Monday and it was an hour long appointment in a classic "you can't make this crap up" scenario. Started off with at least 20 minutes of him shaving(well, dremal drilling thing that went eeeeeeeeeeeee, but shaving is easier to type) the partial and trying to get it to fit in my mouth, and shaving and fitting , and shaving and fitting... and well, you get the image. It would fit in one area but when he'd try the other side, it'd pop off. Then he was also checking the way my bite was with and without the upper partial

He decided the partial must of been bent somehow, most likely when it was being made, and said they'd have to make a new bottom partial since even after all that shaving and fittng, it STILL wasn't fitting right. Since I have short teeth on the bottom, he had to use a handpiece(i.e. a drill) to make a few small dimples(as he put it) on a couple teeth for the new partial to be able to grab onto. Didn't need local numbing or gas unless I wanted it. Chose not to since we were departing on a mini vacation(just got back) shortly after that appointment and I wanted to get out of there so we could go. Got through it.

then we had to wait a short while for the REAL fun of the molds. First was the top mold with upper partials in and of course the upper partials came out when the upper mold was taking out then another mold without partials in. Then was a bottom mold with the plastic molds then another bottom with the metal tray. Luckily I didn't lose any of the blood clots that formed on the bottom but I had a couple sites that bled a tiny bit that did stop a short time later. Don't know where it can from but about 10 minutes after that, I had a small bit of the molding crap pop out from behind the right canine area(YUCK!)

Problem is that now the top partial won't sit right since my top gum is a bit swollen from everything but the swelling is going down. moms saying that should still try to have my lower partial in at least a little each day to keep the bottom teeth from shifting. but i'm not sure if i should even bother if the bottom partial isn't sitting right. Up until the gum swelling, i was wearing the upper partial more and more and will try it again shortly.

So if it's like the last mold waiting session, it'll be about 2.5 week b4 I get my new bottom partial. ARGH!!!

Last edited:
A

ACNLGal2013

Evening update:

I put my upper partial in for 2 hours. Will have to switch to shorter sessions until the swelling goes down. Was feeling some minor pain between the right canine and the tooth behind the canine after I removed the partial.

A

ACNLGal2013

afternoon thoughts

Will have to start using a few drops of polident on the top partials tomorrow. I was wearing the uppers for a little bit earlier and had an ill timed sneeze that came out of no where. Partials shot out of my mouth and half way across the room I was in, lmao. didn't even partials could fly like that.