• Welcome! This is a forum for anyone who is affected by a fear of the dentist, dental phobia, or specific dental fears.

We are lucky to count a number of dentists among our members and moderators. Look out for the "Verified dentist" badges. If you are a dental professional who likes to help, please join our community!

Register now to access many more features and forums!

Sherrie's journal - a journy to trying to defeat dental phobia.

S

SheDaisy

Decided to add in a photo of my new mouth. Not for myself but for the people that have been reading this journal from the start.
I just finished reading your journal. I've started my own journey and reading yours has really helped. Thanks for sharing and taking the time to write it all down.

A

ACNLGal2013

no problem.

carole

carole

Super Moderator
I think your teeth look very nice, but that isn't the problem is it. I really hope you can get the teeth to behave and that one day you will be pleased with them. But if not then as long as you are happy with or without them it has to be your choice.

Thank you for posting the pic :grouphug::grouphug::grouphug::butterfly:

A

ACNLGal2013

If I could get mom off my case on having to wear them, your teeth will space out from not having them in, it'll be a mess to get straightened out, your aunt spent a lot of money on all your work, etc. comments; I could probably get a pretty big monkey off my back and be able to finally put the biggest part of the current problems behind me. I prefer going without the things since it's way less of a hassle, i'm way happier without the things in since w/ them in I hate the way they look, and I can actually eat and talk but mom won't see past the above reasons on why I should be wearing them at least a little bit most days.

I mean seriously mom and I had to run a bunch of errands on wednesday and I decided to pop in the partials for the first time in about a week and we stopped by BK for a late lunch since at that point we still had 3 places to hit and we were hungry. I got a kids meal since I really wanted a tom and jerry toy and I couldn't even bite through just the patty!!! I kind of had to semi break it up in my mouth and swallow it that way. By the time we got home(a little over 5 hours after we took off), I was ready to rip them out my mouth(well, not literally rip since I would of probably damaged a couple of my remaining teeth, but ALMOST literally) b/c I was so miserable.

Am defiantly fed up with the lower partial. not only do I have no bite strength but also if I choose the wear it when eating, i can't chew on the left side w/o it feeling like the whole partial is shifting over to the left.

A

ACNLGal2013

!

What does it take for me to catch a break!!! every twist and turn of this journey has been 1 step forward and 2 or 3 steps back, I get it straightened out, and am faced with another problem.

tonight is only the latest example. while eating dinner(a mystery meat, probably pork, cooked with veggies stew and pasta), I accidently bit down just the right way on the left side to cause a semi-dull lighting bolt of pain going through a recently filled tooth, the back left one. Had to grab an OTC pain pill since I'd been having a dull ache off and on for at about 3 hours b4 I popped the pain pill when I went to swipe a sip of moms soda through the straw and some liquid went over the area, I began having cold sensitivity. Am still having some minor pain but it's not quite as bad as b4.

I am now pretty screwed on how the heck am I supposed to eat since a couple of the teeth I started chewing with are in the vicinity of the recently filled tooth(yes, looking back on my choice, it's kind of a stupid mistake) but there is only 2 teeth on the other side that I can't do a ton of chewing with. About the only option I might have is to start using the stupid lower partials to eat even though I hate the things.

A

ACNLGal2013

am defiantly having a "Why did I decide to do this" scenario going on.

Popped in the partials today for errand running. Tops aren't sitting quite right on the right side and try to pop off when I go to take a bite of food and still having the bottoms pulling to the left when eating issue.

I don't even know what to do anymore. on one hand, after getting this far, It seems like I really shouldn't just give up, but on the other hand the odds of the partials ever getting properly sorted out are probably against me since I have issues with teeth that are a little shorter then an average persons so why should I even bother...

A

ACNLGal2013

Evening thoughts:

Spent a good part of my free time hiding in my room. reorganized a few legos, listed to radio on my personal FM, used my tablet and laptop, and tried to decide what to do regarding my partials.

I still don't know. I just don't want to begin trekking back there and having to go through how knows what especially since I have issues with shorter then normal teeth that are NOT helping the case at all but the thing is that i'm kind of going back and forth between wanting to do it and not wanting since if I go in an deal with it, i'll be past that.

A

ACNLGal2013

Have to remember to clear out my tablets history one of these days. got mostly caught up on stuff I needed to do(pretty much the only thing left is I want to start playing animal crossing new leaf again), Got bored, decided to hop on the history and found my old partial search results and began looking at the searches I did. Talk about a good way to really start questioning myself again about why did I do this and was(is?) it really worth the crap i'm having to go through now.

I mean sure it could be worse but here I am about 3.5 months post where all this started and i'm just as miserable, probably even more miserable, compared to the start of all this.

i'm still having issues with my uppers and lowers that while it seems like i should get things worked out, i just am not up for another round. i mean seriously if i really felt like this was still a battle worth fighting(at one point it WAS, not so much at the moment), i could call the office in less then 7 hours to see if i could get an afternoon Appt but i just don't know it's worth continuing the battle of the partials anymore

Seriously, I've already had 2 upper adjustments and might need a third (if i choose to go). i had 2 lower adjustments, neither of which worked out, then molds for new ones, the trial fitting(Plus adjustments with that session), and getting the new ones and a round adjustments at that appointment that started trouble shortly after i got them and currently are now deciding to shift over to the left whenever i try to eat on that side. Am not sure what options i'd have left since he already tried the "drilling a few small dimples on a couple lower teeth to try and get the lowers to grab on" method.

ARGH!

A

ACNLGal2013

sometimes I wonder how mom and I can get together under the same roof. Mom, my aunt, and me were eating at subway and we were talking about something and she then made a comment on how I didn't have my partials in and why didn't I put them in. I point blank told her that i'm having some issues with them. Well, she made the comment about how she's having to set up an appointment for my aunt due to some sort of issues shes having with her uppers and she could make one for me at the same time. I point blank said "no" and she asked "why not". I told her that I've given up and she tried using the "why not try one more time" almost guilt trip like comment to which I responded NO again and thankfully she must of gotten the message since she dropped the subject PDFQ.

I've aready have had 4 adjustments total to the uppers and lowers(SIX if you count the newly gotten lower ones being adjusted during the apt I got them and the trial fitting adjustments) trying to get them to work, getting new bottom partials, the drilling a couple small dimples to get them to new ones to work b4 the molds for the new ones route, and i'm pretty sure i'm out of options at this point as far as getting my partials to work.

Will I go with them to the Appt? Only if mom plans on hitting the store afterwards only since it's easier for her to help my aunt in the store. Will I go in at the dentist? no. i'll stick with the steps near the building.

A

ACNLGal2013

Nothing new to report. Still felling like crap, still haven't decided with 100% certanity what i should do about the partial. I mean sure I could 'just do it' like with the first visit ever with the guy but we all know just how well the turned out(holds up sarcasm sign).

I mean yes if this was a first adjustment needed, this would be nothing but its not. That'd be adjustment number 3 for the top and I'm not even sure what to call the bottom. As far as total number of adjustments for bottom regardless of old, new, or trial; that'd make for number 5 but the 2nd adjustment as far as the current ones go. I'm sick of going and doubt theres really any options left.

A

ACNLGal2013

I need to post one quick, but very important message:

over the last few weeks, I've been getting at least 2 or 3 calls a week on my cell phone from an area code + first 3 digits that match where the dentist office is located and the final 4 digits seem to be consistent with one of the numbers that the dentists office calls from, but i'm not positive since I refuse to waste my cell phone time(Tracphone) answering a number that i'm not sure who it is

IF it is the dentists office and one of you people, be it silent reader or otherwise, happens to be a worker from said office that's calling, CUT IT OUT WILL YOU??? If I choose to return to the office to try to get things straightened out, you'll be the second to know.

A

ACNLGal2013

Solved part of the mystery of why I've been feeling like crap. A certain "aunt" decided to pop in w/o much of a heads up. :mad:

Am still debating on what to do.

A

ACNLGal2013

Wore my partials for the first time in about 2 weeks. Went out running a lot of errands. really hating myself for doing my partial time while running errands since we ate popeyes and it wasn't fun trying to chew fries with almost no bite strength on the right since and the left side not agreeing at all! Plus I think something needs an adjustment on the right since it felt like something was pressing into my right side gums under the partials almost everytime i was chewing. Not painful but really uncomfortable. Was going nuts by the time we were wrapping up at Walmart.

Thinking about just going in and getting it over with next week I guess. Just not looking forward to the what if's scenario going on in my head.

Really grateful we have a DVR so I can record shows and fast forward through them or at least pause a show and fast forward a minute later. This commercial about stop smoking keeps popping up almost every day and it's making me sick to my stomach. The guy talks about the effects of smoking and problems it caused with his mouth and he pops his upper and lower partials out right there in front of the camera!!!

I am stuck between a rock and a hard place on what to do and already am hitting max stress levels with all this stuff i'm going through so that's the last thing i need to be seeing!

About my only hope is that the crap will be yanked within a few months from the air. Seems that way with most really bad commercials. just REALLY hope it won't do like the "smiling bob" guy and start playing at every commercial break. Happened on spike tv when csi used to play on there a lot but tragically b4 i started using the dvr so i had to sit through the same horrible commercial over and over again. Even worse though was when for an entire year, they did the "smiling bob" Christmas commercial!!!

A

ACNLGal2013

Starting to feel like i'm fighting a losing battle with my teeth. Recently noticed it looks like my bottom teeth are starting to get dingy looking and I got yellow crap starting to build on my canines. Gotta track down plaque busting toothpaste I guess but about all I can say at the moment is that this point blank sucks!

I've gone through a mountain worth of crap getting a deep cleaning, extractions, molds, and partials. I've gotten into a pretty good brushing habit, cut out most of my soda habit in favor of flavored water mixes(low cal, salt free, and sugar free), cut out most of the sugary snacks that I like, and yet I can't catch a break!!! It's been nothing but 1 step forward and 2 steps back and i'm starting to wonder why I should even bother trying anymore. I get past one problem just to be slapped in the face with another.

A

ACNLGal2013

Been a few days since my last post. Things still are looking pretty bleak on the partials front for me. Uppers and lowers were not agreeing with me at all yesterday.

2 days ago, the uppers stopped doing that creaking thing they had been doing. Did I think it'd last? Of course not but did I silently celebrate the moment of no creaking? Guilty as charged. But when we went to eat at my favorite fast food place, i kept having the stupid tops keep trying to pop loose. Barely managed to get past the fries and had to save the burger for after we got home and I got the uppers out. Yesterday they were back to the creaky creaky route and attempting to start a fight on a couple occasions.

the day b4 yesterday, the lowers were still doing that weird thing where I can't really bite down on the left side with food in my mouth and yesterday they were shifting over to the left a bit and pushing into one of my lower front teeth. remember the pre work image of the group of crooked teeth? It's the one that's next to the gap.

Have been going back and forth on what I should do. I mean yea it's getting to the point that I really should go but the problem is that all signs are point towards a long road ahead if I go. The last time I had to go through that not only did it take everything out of me and push me to my limits but also it seemed like my life was revolving around the office visits. I just don't know if I can put myself through that again. If I wasn't at an appointment, I was waiting for an upcoming appointment and it's kind of hard to relax with that breathing down your neck

I've been spending the last few days racking my brain trying to find so much as a single pro to putting myself yet another office visit and probably another round of who knows what but I just can't think of any.

A

ACNLGal2013

Finally decided to go in. Turns out that the filling itself is fine but the bottom partial needed a bite adjustment on the left side since that's where the problem is mostly likely stemming from. Upper needed acrylic stuff to deal with a gap between the partial and my gums.

A

ACNLGal2013

Nothing new to really report. Started having, and still having, cold sensitivity isssues again. t-minus 4 months till check-up time.

Lately been filled with nothing short of a case of that what ifs. Been wonder how things would be different now if mom had found a more patient and understanding dentist when I was a young'in or how things would be different if I could of gotten up the courage to go a lot sooner. Heck, even a couple years(if that) could of probably made a big difference with some of my teeth. Been wondering if I just say screw it and go back to being a dental phobic.

A

ACNLGal2013

Feeling like crap. Still having cold sensitivity issues that started to subside but is starting to come back and the fricking left part of the up partial is starting to act up. Why do I even bother trying anymore. Everytime I get past one problem, i'm just about literally slapped in the face by another. Currently debating about saying screw being a previously severe dental phob and going back to being one.

Wish I could go back in time and kick myself in the butt for even thinking about putting myself through this. B4 this went down, I was at least able to eat pretty ok, I was able to drink w/ no threat of cold sensitivity, and at least I could look myself in the mirror and like myself instead of wanting to put a towel over the mirror.

Here I am not even 5 months past the first trip. I've had to endure one thing after another. My life revolving around the visits at one point. I've had to deal with the initial visit, deep cleaning, molds, 2 rounds of extractions, fillings, 2 upper adjustments plus the acrylic gunk added to deal with a problem spot and 2 lower adjustments and the molds for new ones and then the 2 trips that followed if anything, i'm WORSE off then b4 this went down!!! I can't eat right and am in fear of drinking cold stuff!!! b4 this, there wasn't many foods I couldn't handle and I had no issues with drinks.

A

ACNLGal2013

Ah dental phobia, perhaps the loneliest club in the world. Am still having some cold sensitivities and left partial problems and guess that the thing holding me back is yet another severe case of the what ifs. I mean sure could go in to try to straighten out the issue but what then? Will it be a case of needing a new filling which is nothing or could it be root cannel lane for me or what if it's a nothing can be done case?

And it's a kind of similar situation with the partials to. What happens there? Do we try making a new partials or do we keep trying to get the stupid thing to work or is there some other option i'm not thinking about???

at this point, i'm currently feeling screwed no matter what i do. If i go in, it's going to be an unknown situation and if i don't go, i can't enjoy cold stuff and i'm living in constant fear of cold induced sensitivity.

A

ACNLGal2013

Despite the fact of having no real updates, I might as well give yall the run down on the current scenario.

Still having cold sensitivity if I'm not really careful, still can't bring myself to the point of wanting to head back in, and am debating about just giving up on heading out there again. not just the filling problems but even the cleaning. I've pretty much have given up hope and It's just not worth doing it anymore.

Everyday is filled with me missing my old teeth more and more and me try to remember what it was that triggered me to want to do this in the first place and why didn't I stop myself when I could.