• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Shoeshine flossing an implant??

S

Scaredbutready

Hi
I’ve recently finished one implant with crown and just had two more inserted. I’m an extremely anxious person and am new to being back in the dental chair. Anyway, my dentist recommended the ‘shoeshine’ 360 method of flossing my implant. I’ve seen so much contradiction over this. I struggle with it and worry I’m doing more harm than good. So my question is I’m wondering If that’s an outdated approach given the research of broken off floss getting wrapped around the post and damage to the gums? Would it work just to carefully floss as I normally would and use interdental brushes/water floss? Sorry so long, just a huge investment I want to be sure I’m taking the best care of. Thank you

Does your dentist have a hygienist? If so get them to show you the best way to look after your implants, preferably with them watching you do it and advising you as you go. If not then ask the dentist to do it.

Thank you Gordon. They have showed me. I’m more concerned with that method of flossing around an implant after researching. One of those things where the professionals seem to be split on if 360 flossing should be done at all.

I haven’t heard of 360 flossing, but my oral surgeon and dentists have told me to floss down as far as I can comfortably go on the implant.
On here I learned to use the floss that doesn’t break into threads…it is called the Glide floss here. It breaks cleanly and doesn’t leave pieces or threads behind. I have never had any trouble with flossing around the implants.

@MountainMamathank you, as always! Glide is what I’m using too, the only one I can get up there comfortably. so The 360 flossing is wrapping the floss around he implant, crisscrossing it and then moving it side to side like shining a shoe or drying off your back with a towel. It’s all supposed to be way above the gum line. I think for now I’ll continue to just regularly floss like I’ve been doing and add my waterpik back in once it’s safe after my other implants. Hope you‘re adjusted to your new move and things are going well. Thanks again!

Back