• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Shooting pain after root canal treatment

R

Root

Hi,

To begin with, I've had the root canal treatment over a week ago. Before the treatment I was in constant pain and on the whole the treatment completely helped. However, perhaps once a day or so, I get a sharp shooting pain for roughly a few seconds and then the pain goes.

Is this normal after a root canal or should there be no pain at all? Would an x-ray from the dentist find the problem if there is one? I know it seems trivial but I just don't wish to repeat this whole process.

Also, my next appointment would be for the dentist to insert the crown. Would it be wise to let him do that considering the fact the treatment might not have been done properly?

Thanks.

I'm not a dentist, I can only speak from my own personal experience. I got my first root canal treatment a few years ago. And that little bugger took about 6 months to settle down. I don't know how nerves and roots and things work, but I wonder if it's the body adjusting to the new pathways. I know a lot of people say that you shouldn't feel anything, but I think it does happen (it happened to me, and my sister experienced pain after RCT as well), and I don't think that it always means the treatment is failing. Every body is different.

I would definitely express your concerns to your dentist/endo. They do miss roots, or chambers sometimes, I'm not sure what the symptoms for that would be. I'm not sure if that's detectable on x-ray, or if they can do tap tests. Hopefully someone more knowledgable can chime in and help you out.

I hope everything works out well for you.

After multiple root canals, I have to say each one is different. Some hurt for a while, some stop almost immediately. And odds are, for those of us who need root canals, things are more problematic than usual in our mouths ... so don't necessarily believe people who say you shouldn't feel any pain. The people who say that can crack walnuts with only their gums. (That's the litmus test for "healthy gums", you know ...)

What you're going through seems to be par for the course - but definitely inform the dentist before the crown gets seated. Now is the time to catch any trouble.

Back