• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Shooting pain in jaw

K

KellyR

Hi there ☺️ 5 weeks ago I had a bottom pre molar tooth extracted, it was a straightforward extraction. Unfortunately I went on to develop a dry socket which was horrendous. I had it packed twice and was given amoxicillin as a precaution. The extraction site is healing well, but the last week I have been getting sharp intense shooting pain across my jaw bone. The pains are short in duration and come on unexpectedly. They are painful and make me freeze almost until they pass. I had 2 extractions in the side of the shooting pains within 2 weeks of each other. My dentist suggested it could be TMJ? Would this cause these shooting pains? Or is it a complication of the dry socket? I am really anxious as I don’t know why after 5 weeks I am getting these shooting pains? Surely the dry socket will have healed by now? Or could it be that it is TMJ. Thank you so much. I am totally stressed out and any help or advice would be hugely appreciated. ☺️ Thank you. Kelly.

Need a lot more information to even make a guess at what's going on, sorry. You'd get much better answers from your dentist.

Hi there. Thank you for your reply. Is it possible for dry socket healing to cause these shooting pains that are intermittent in my jaw ? It’s been 5 weeks since I had the extraction and the dry socket started the day after the extraction? The surface of the gum is healed practically, but could there still be an issue below the gum with regards to the dry socket ? Or would it be healed by now ? I am really stressed out and severely anxious because I have no idea if it’s dry socket healing or something else ? I have an appointment for a review with my dentist at the end of the week, but another opinion would be hugely appreciated. Thank you so much. Kelly. ☺️

You can't get an opinion because I really don't have enough information to make even an informed guess. Sorry.

Ok. Thank you. ☺️

KellyR,

So sorry to hear of all the pain, it sounds awful.. :grouphug: I hope you can get an answer soon and a bit of relief!

Thank you. I hope so too. ☺️

Back