• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Shorter Dental Cleaning Sessions

C

CourtneyM87

Hi!
I am fearful of all dental related stuff. I don't want to get to the point of frequent severe dental issues, but I fear that has started because last Spring I needed a crown.
My mouth hasn't felt the same since then. I rarely chew on the crown because I fear food getting trapped under and creating an infection.
I need to go for a cleaning too. I had an idea that would help me get more comfortable at the dentist, but my 2 dentists say it doesn't make sense.
My idea was to split 1 cleaning into 4 sessions. I know it sounds like a waste of time, but I think I would do a little better at the dentist if I was there more often for something that isn't a filling. I thought each quadrant is cleaned in each appointment. Short and frequent until the cleaning is done, 4 sessions. Or 2 sessions; top and then bottom the following week. Then I do this every 4 months instead of 6.
The dentists don't seem onboard. Has anyone had a dentist do these smaller cleanings?

Hi,

I think it is a very good idea. Advancing in small and safe steps will help you deal with the fear much better. It will help you to get more familiar with the dental set up, allow the care provider treat you without time pressure and will ensure positive dental experiences which are crucial for overcoming the dental fear.
mine more thing: you as a patient decide on how the cleaning will be, and the entire dental team has to comply.

Hi,

I think it is a very good idea. Advancing in small and safe steps will help you deal with the fear much better. It will help you to get more familiar with the dental set up, allow the care provider treat you without time pressure and will ensure positive dental experiences which are crucial for overcoming the dental fear.
mine more thing: you as a patient decide on how the cleaning will be, and the entire dental team has to comply.

Thanks! How come my 2 dentists are not interested? One of them deals a lot with anxious patients. I don't want to keep asking and be annoying. His solution was to book a longer time slot so the hygienist can go slowly, but I don't think that will help me.

Thanks! How come my 2 dentists are not interested?
Dentally speaking it is better to clean as much as possible in every session. Also as far as Covid-19 safety is concerned, it is better to visit a dental practice as little times as possible.