• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Should a dental abscess always be drained ?

D

dsr

After spending most of my life with a dental phobia. I finally managed to conquered it 10 years ago. I visit the dentist every six months, accept any fillings or treatment offered and am generally pretty relaxed in the dentists chair these days.

But in the past two years I have suffered from two dental abscess that have started in the gum and not in the tooth. Each time I have felt that tingle prior to the horse kicking pain, I have contacted the dentist immediately, but have always spent the next 3 weeks on & off anti-bionics until I can get an extraction.

Low and behold, two days ago I get the tingle followed by that unmistakable dental abscess pain and within 7 hours, I'm in the dentists chair and a quick x-ray reveals another infection in the gum, heading towards the tooth. Once again, all teeth are fine. I'm on the regimental amoxicillin ( 500mg x 3 per 7 days ).

But I have never had an abscess drained, except when I did myself out of sheer desperation ( cut the front of the gum below the tooth ), the feeling of relief as the pus hit the wall at 300mph was on par with a sexual experience I once had with...............<cough>.

I've been told by the dentists, that they dont like working on patients in case the infection spreads, but at the same time the pus ball in the gum or tooth is not broken down by the anti-biotics, so what breaks the down the pus relieving the pressure on the nerves and therefore giving pain relief ?

I've had similar experiences- Have these teeth already undegone a root canal? have you seen an endodontist to try and save it?

One of two things happen per my dentist, either the pus reabsorbs slowly or a tract forms like you desribe and it eventually pops and drains. If the source of infection is not eliminated it won't just go away.

RP

I've had similar experiences- Have these teeth already undegone a root canal? have you seen an endodontist to try and save it?
RP

Both teeth were subject to a small filling, but in good nick. I have had root canals in the past, but all have failed within the year, so I only do extractions these days.

If the source of infection is not eliminated it won't just go away.

RP

I had three lots of anti-biotics last time over a three week period, so Im hoping this 7 day stint is going to work.

But according to my dentist the infection has not reached the tooth.

Back