Should I ask for a root canal? (X-ray included)

D

deepsun

Had two fillings done in March, one of which ended up being larger. Since then that tooth with the larger filling has ached a few times and just started again yesterday after ditching a OTC night guard a few days ago and then eating some almonds, which caused some pain, possibly from clenching and grinding the couple days after not using the guard.

I went to my dentist and an endodontist back in April and had x-rays and tests done by each. Both of them determined I didn’t need a root canal. Also, they both recommended a night guard, with the endodontist saying he noticed evidence of grinding on the left where the filling is. I’ve had no luck finding a comfortable OTC guard after trying to see if I could avoid a $500 guard from my dentist that my insurance won’t cover.

Would it just ask for a root canal at this point? I’m sick of my tooth randomly aching, but I’m feeling very panicked about the possibility of a root canal. :cry:

I’m including a photo of an x-ray done by the endodontist back in April.

Thanks.

Attachments

• 2FE29697-7887-4154-9C5F-9D48277E4EE9.jpeg
    2FE29697-7887-4154-9C5F-9D48277E4EE9.jpeg
    514 KB · Views: 13
M

MountainMama

Not a dentist so I can’t advise on the root canal, but I used the OTC nightguards for a long time before finally breaking down and paying for an expensive one at the dentist. It is definitely worth it to get one made. I know it is super expensive (mine was $600) but it saves a lot of misery down the road. Grinding can cause cracked teeth, which is what happened to me.

krlovesherkids777

krlovesherkids777

Super Moderator
Staff member
Deepsun,

Sorry to hear your teeth are acting up again. That is hard.. Sounds like you have to consider a few options. I hope they give you clear answers and you can get a peace what to go ahead with at a price that is affordable.. Hope the tooth can calm down for you soon! :grouphug:

Gordon

Gordon

Administrator
Staff member
Verified dentist
That's a very lightly filled tooth, if you get a root canal done on it you'll be destroying a lot of healthy tooth tissue for little gain. It doesn't look like a very difficult root canal job but there's no guarantee it'll be successful...

Can't see your maths working out, surely 500-600 for a proper mouthguard is going to be cheaper than a root canal plus a crown on the tooth?

D

deepsun

That's a very lightly filled tooth, if you get a root canal done on it you'll be destroying a lot of healthy tooth tissue for little gain. It doesn't look like a very difficult root canal job but there's no guarantee it'll be successful...

Can't see your maths working out, surely 500-600 for a proper mouthguard is going to be cheaper than a root canal plus a crown on the tooth?

Thanks for your insight. I can see what you’re saying. I’m just tired of it causing me pain. I’m not convinced the pain is from grinding… kind of worried it could be headed towards infection. I haven’t had an x-ray since April so I have no idea its status. I’m just very nervous.