Should I ask for more antibiotics, or just wait...?

D

DM69

Member
Joined
Dec 20, 2009
Messages
50
Hello dentists, sorry to bother you YET again.

I have an abscess on a lower left molar. I've had one course of Erythromycin and one of Amoxicillin - the latter I've just finished.

Although the pain hasn't come back as severely as before, it's started to twinge again. I'm using hot salty mouthwashes 3 times a day to try and keep everything stable.

The tooth is coming out on Jan 12th. Should I ask the dentist for more antibiotics in the meantime? Will anything of a sinister nature happen if I hang on in there for another couple of weeks?

Also, if the pain is raging again by the time the dental apt comes around, will he still be able to extract?

Grateful for any advice. Thanks :)
 
drhirst

drhirst

Super Moderator
Verified dentist
Joined
Dec 7, 2008
Messages
727
Hi,

You might be OK until the 12th, but if your gut feeling is that it is deteriorating, then it would be best to try to bring forward the appointment.
Nothing sinister will happen other that it becoming painful again.
One can extract an painful abscessed tooth as long as there is not too much swelling immediately adjacent to the tooth.
Keep going with the saltwater in the meantime.

Best of luck
Lincoln
 
D

DM69

Member
Joined
Dec 20, 2009
Messages
50
Thanks for the advice, Lincoln. I'll keep doing what I'm doing unless it becomes bad :)
 
Top