• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Should I ask for new crown?

Y

yelsiapt

I had a root canal performed on a molar and then a crown put in afterwards. One month later I am again in pain so I go back into the same dentist. He took a couple of x-rays to see what's going on with it and suspects that at some point between the two procedures a root canal fillings (gutta percha) was accidentally pulled out but went unnoticed. Dentist thinks it likely happened when the excess gutta percha was being removed with hot iron before crown was installed. Now dentist wants to drill thru my new crown to correct the problem. My question/concern is this...the crown's longevity will in all likelihood be compromised as a result of this procedure. I am inclined to request a new crown after the problem is corrected since the mistake was his. Please advise. Thx.

You certainly can request it if you prefer, but as Annie mentioned, some crowns can be perfectly fine with the root canal access opening closed up with a permanent filling. It would be up to the dentist to decide whether they would redo the entire crown or not, but if it were me, I would have no problem with the redo if the patient requested it and just chalk it up to one of those unfortunate events that can and does happen.

Back