• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Should I be concerned?

B

baplove

Hi guys! I literally have no one who can give me substantial advice about this so I’m taking it to the internet. So the (long) backstory is I'm 17, I had four impacted wisdom teeth and I got them taken out on April 5th (four weeks and one day ago). My surgeon put dissolvable stitches where my bottom two teeth were. Fast forward to Monday, April 16th, I had my check-up. I went in and my surgeon looked at my gums and said they were healing great and he didn’t need to irrigate them or anything.

By then I thought I was home free. WRONG! SO fast forward AGAIN to Friday, April 20th, my left bottom side of my mouth was hurting pretty bad and I could barely go to sleep. It hurt all of Saturday and it started swelling up and hurting really bad Saturday (April 21) afternoon. (This is where it gets pretty gross so stop reading if you get queasy easily) So when I looked inside of my mouth I could tell it was really swollen, I could barely close my mouth because the inside of my cheek and my gums were so swollen. I couldn’t press my teeth together without biting the swollen tissue. So by then I had done my own research and concluded that it was probably infected. There was a little cut on the inside of my cheek because it was so swollen I think I bit it a little and I poked at the area and some puss and blood came out… so definitely infected. But what worried me about this was that it was a couple centimeters away from where the stitches were, I read a lot of other people’s experiences having an infection after wisdom teeth removal but nobody says where in their mouth the infection actually is. I would think it is supposed to be right where the tooth was removed but that wasn’t the case for me?

My mom called the doctor on call and I took all of the ones they gave me. On April 23 I went in to see my oral surgeon so he could take a look at my mouth. He irrigated where the stitches used to be (they had dissolved by then and the gums were almost all the way healed over). He also said that the antibiotics should do the trick and if they don’t and it gets infected again he’ll probably have to reopen the area and clean out the hole (idk what to call it sorry). I can’t remember exactly what day I finished the antibiotics, I think it was April 28th or 29th. The day after I took the first antibiotic pill the swollenness went down and it didn’t hurt anymore, and it hasn’t hurt since.

However, the problem I’m having is that I’m worried the infection is still there. I think this because I sometimes still taste puss in my mouth (I know, gross) and I was looking back at the area today (Almost a whole month after the surgery) and I didn’t notice it before because the inside of my cheek covers it but there’s a little hole at the bottom of my back molar on the outer side, and when I pressed near it more puss came out. It also comes out some along the edges of my gums on the outer side of the molar, the same way it did when I originally had the infection. It literally makes me so grossed out thinking about it. I don’t want to go back to my surgeon if it’s actually nothing because I’m so busy with exams and schoolwork right now. However, I read a lot of people’s experiences with infections in their mouth and about abscess and things of that nature and I’m afraid the infection is under my molar and it’ll stay there in my mouth for months on end until it rots my teeth out (I know that sounds dramatic but that’s actually what I’m really worried about). Anyone who is still reading thank you, I’m sorry for so many words but I hope someone can give me some advice on this or can let me know if they have experienced the same thing, thank you!

Last edited:
Could you, or your mom, call your surgeon office to explain the situation and ask them what they recommend?

The exact same is happening to me. every time I press on my gum next to an extraction a bit of pus and sometimes blood comes out. My mouth tastes horrible all the time. I went back to my dentist and she said " oh I expect you've popped whatever it was", and squirted some antiseptic into the little gap. She said if there was infection it would be hurting. I went away disappointed. It's still the same a month later, so I've got another appointment in 2 weeks. I know I need antibiotics and I hope she'll agree this time. I'll report back after I've been.

If you still have pus then this shouldn't be ignored. Go back to your doctor. the doctor might well take an x-ray. It is possible to develop a osteomyelitis. This may even take IV antibiotics.
I didn't say you had the above just to go back and get evaluated. It is very possible to get a bad infection even if everything correct is done.

I had my appointment yesterday. I told the hygienist what was happening. She told me that last time I visited her she wasn't able to clean deep enough around the extraction site which was still healing. She said that there was a heavy build up of tartar under the gum and it needed a thorough deep clean in order for the gum to close up properly and to stop any infection occurring. Because it was very deep it was quite a painful procedure and I had to stop her before it was finished. I've got to go back and she will finish it off with an anesthetic injection. She was far more helpful than the dentist who just seemed to fob me off as she was running late. I saw her again yesterday after the hygienist and she was just as hurried. Luckily I didn't need any fillings this time.There seems to be a slight improvement with the gum today. My next appointment is 12th June. I'll keep you posted.

Dspeed,

So good to hear things are improving and the hygenist is helpful ! Rushed and hurried dentists make me quite nervous myself so I hope the dentist can slow down for you a bit and you can feel fully heard and cared for :).

Did I get it right - she cleaned it without local anesthetic which was painful so she had to stop before you were done and will clean it under local at your next appointment? I am wondering why she didn't numb you up right away for you not to feel any pain and for her to be able finish it at once...

Thank you Kr. Enarete, I don't know whether it was because she didn't realise how far down she would have to go. She has been quite caring up to now. she did keep asking if I was OK, but yes it would have been better to get it done in one appointment. Luckily I won't have to pay twice.

Back