• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Should I be getting a second opinion?

U

User1965

I was diagnosed with a possible split tooth in the front lower left molar after coming in to my dentist with a minor (minor pain only) infection below the gum line. Antibiotics cleared it up quickly and I haven't been bothered since (about 2 months). Part of the reason that I only had minor pain from this was because a channel developed that leaked out the infection build-up before pressure could build up.

The periodontist I saw wasn't so sure there was a fracture there, and suggested I have a root canal so they could either fix the problem or at least see better what is going on.

Well, the endodontist confirmed (by dye) that there is a vertical root fracture and that extraction is the only real course of action. I should add, that I really had no pain after the partial root canal.

I'm scheduled for tomorrow afternoon to have the extraction done, but am having serious second thoughts.

Can't an epoxy of some sort be put in to seal things up? Should I be getting a second opinion about the treatment?

From what I saw from my x-ray, there is some change to the bone around the problem root.

That change plus the channel make me think that things are only going to get worse over time if I leave it to fester in its own juices. So, is this the reason for the extraction? I am having a difficult time finding anything objective about viable treatment options.

On top of the other things, I am osteopoenic and am worried that my jaw won't be able to get built up enough to support an implant and that I'll have to then live with all of the repercussions from having no tooth there.

I'm usually more stoic, but as I've gotten older and developed more long-term ailments I have become prone to worrying excessively.

Last edited:
Hi :welcome:to the forum.

A cracked tooth that goes down the root cannot be saved. The dentist you saw has been honest with you. If left things will get worse over time and cause you pain and problems.

If there is no way an implant can be done then you could have either a bridge if the teeth are viable to support one at either side or you could have a partial denture. There is no reason to be left with a gap if you don't want to.

You would need to discuss your options with your dentist. Good luck for tomorrow and all the best to you :butterfly:

Thanks for the welcome

Some further research since my post has mostly convinced me of the necessity. I'm just a basket case for some reason and am having trouble getting my stuff together.

We are all basket cases when waiting for an upcoming appointment. I think by now you will have been, I hope it is over and done with now and I wish you happy healing. :butterfly:

Back