• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Should I call in?

M

MountainMama

I saw my oral surgeon last week, and he gave me a tentative diagnosis of Atypical Facial Pain, as I have been having weird pain in teeth that haven’t even been worked on. I see my general doctor this week, to start some neurological testing and get a full blood panel done.
Two weeks ago, I started having fairly severe pain in the upper right quadrant. It seems to be located between my first and second molar. There were no issues with those teeth at my February checkup. The teeth are not heat and cold sensitive. The pain lasted about 12 hours then went away.
Yesterday the pain came back. It radiates up through my sinus and my eye. It feels sharp around my teeth like it radiates from between my two molars. The pain is pretty bad today, but feels “tight” like pressure in that sinus and my upper jaw.
Is it even worth it to call my dentist? I know neuralgia pain can’t be treated by the dentist. If it possibly an actual tooth issue, I don’t want to ignore it, though. I have gotten an occasional sharp pain the few times I tried to eat something crunchy, but have been chewing things like pizza crust with no pain. It is just so odd. I hadn’t used those molars for almost a year, since I had no molars under them until I got my implants. So there is nothing that I did to crack the teeth. Both molars have fillings that are older than 10 years, but never had issues until recently. I also woke up a few times last night and felt pain in the teeth, although not severe. It didn’t wake me up...just hurt when I was awake. I should add that the pain isn’t consistently severe. It faded to a dull pressure at times.
My dentist is on vacation for 3 months so I would have to see a different dentist.

Well, I held a heat pack to my upper jaw for about ten minutes and the pain is barely there anymore, so I guess that answers that question. It is a very dull pain now, almost like pressure. Ugh.

Glad the pain went down a little , hope it stays down and someone is able to help you . aghh. frustrating MM.. Sorry you are going through all this.

Glad the pain went down a little , hope it stays down and someone is able to help you . aghh. frustrating MM.. Sorry you are going through all this.
I don’t think anyone can help. It seems that my only option is medication, which my oral surgeon said may or may not work, and has some pretty bad side effects. It just seems hopeless.

Back