• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Should I go back to this Oral Surgeon? I feel he emotionally traumatized me

Camisa

Camisa

Before resorting to an oral surgeon I saw a couple of dentists to have an extraction of an upper regular molar. They referred me to him because my tooth is broken at the gumline making it difficult for them to extract it.

I have been in emotional agony since October when it became abscessed. I was on 20 days of Amoxicillin in November which made very sick.

I finally saw this ORal Surgeon three days ago. I pre-paid for....
Nitrous Oxide: $175.00 USD (never administered)
Surgical extraction: $200.00 USD (never performed)
I was so frightened that I was asking a lot of questions; but he kept getting very frustrated with me and reminding me that he has other patients ---- he made me feel as if I am not as important as his other patients. At first they were just going to do the extraction; but I had to remind them that I also paid for Nitrous.
The surgical tech put the Nitrous Mask on me. Then another nurse came in and said, "Oops! I forgot to fix up the Nitrous tanks. Let me turn them back on." SO I had been breathing in Oxygen the whole time, so I still don;t know if Nitrous would be beneficial to me or not but I digress. I took the mask off because their unprofessionalism made me insecure about it.

Five minutes later he came at me with the needles. I asked, "these are plain right? No epi?" and the nurse said, "Oh, you don't want epi?" (I have a written and signed document by my Cardiologist stating that I should have "NO EPI" for dental treatment---I had given it to the staff but they apparently forgot about it?) I reminded him of the "no epi" document and so he got out the plain needles.

He gave me three shots of local anesthetic. He dripped some of the anesthetic in the back of my mouth and I swallowed it. I wasn't aware of that but I absolutely started to cry because my throat went numb. I began also began trembling and my hands were shaking like a washing machine.

Merely SECONDS after giving me the shots he said he wasn't going to do the procedure. (He just seemed to quickly shoot me up with the local so that perhaps I wouldn;t get a refund if I requested one? I don't know).

He walked over to the sink and washed his hands;
When I began to sob, I kept saying, "I can't feel myself breathing"

Instead of telling me he dripped some of the shot down my throat, he just walked away, and said "Well you can just LAY THERE and NOT BREATHE until you are discharged. I am not working on you unless you're sedated."

His tone of voice frightened me and so I began to call for my mother, who was not allowed in the room for some reason?? It wasn't an OR. Just a room with chairs. Anyway they told me she was right outside the doorway but she wasn't ---- instead they told her to go into the waiting room so i was calling out to her but she could not hear me. Nor did she hear any of the snide and sarcastic remarks that the doctor was making to me.

Finally the surgical technician came in with my mother. She told me the reason I felt that way was because the doctor had accidently dripped some of the local in my throat. She also told me to expect some drooling.

WELL WHY COULDN'T HE HAVE TOLD ME THAT?!?! WHY DID HE HAVE TO TELL ME TO JUST LAY THERE AND NOT BREATHE?!

I SPRINTED out the doors, drooling and crying into a tissue.

*Note that there were no other patients!! I was his last patient!

I told my mom what the doctor ket saying to me, and she said about me taking too much time and his concern for his other patients, "What other patients? You were his last patient of the day. There were no other patients. Why would he say that to you?"
I don't know - he just kept telling me he had other patients to tend to.

The most agonizing thing he said to me, and I keep thinking about it over and over again was his sarcastic comment telling me to just lay there and not breathe.

When I got home I panicked so badly in a state of shock that I had to call 911 and have oxygen for a few minutes.

After that panic attack subsidd, I slept for five hours.

WAS HIS BEHAVIOR NORMAL?!
I FEEL INCREDIBLY ASHAMED FOR WASTING HIS TIME.... Is it all my fault?! Am I THAT much of a "pain in the ass?"

And I'm SCARED TO DEATH of seeing him again, or any other doctor for that matter.

Or am I over-reacting??
Do I have a right to ask for some of my money back??

*sidenotes: I suffer from post traumatic stress disorder, panic disorder with transient agoraphobia, depression and I was raped at age 19. I don't know if any of this matters, but I guess in my defense it is worth noting.

Please help, need encouragement very badly.

Andrea

Last edited:
Re: Should I go back to this Oral Surgeon? I feel he emotionally traumatized me

Oh my, firstly I am sorry that you had to go through that!! What an awful way to treat someone.

His behaviour wasn't normal and you are not in the wrong here. You didn't waste his time at all, he had no one left to see. Sounds like an impatient so and so who doesn't know how to deal with their patients (esp phobic ones) in a professional and caring manner.

I wouldn't go back if I were you, I personally wouldn't be able to feel comfortable being under their care. I would go back to the dentist who referred you and explain to them what happened. See what they think and suggest. Ask them to refer you to somebody else. I would also ask the Oral Surgeons office for my money back, you didn't get the treatment so why should you pay, you may still have to pay a little for the appointment time, I'm not sure how things work in the U.S. If you get a referral to another surgeon I would make a formal complaint too or make the complaint after you have had you tooth seen to.

With regards to your sidenotes there is an article on this website (I think in the common fears section) which was written by an abuse survivor....some of the tips in that may be useful or interesting to you. Also there is a poster called odette who has PTSD too, her posts may be of interest.

No not normal at all...file a complaint and get a different surgeon - there are some humane ones out there, if you look hard enough. :mad:

This is the article Fatcat is referring to: https://www.dentalfearcentral.org/fears/abuse-survivors/

Sedation probably is the way to go but you need to trust the person sedating you and this guy has broken all the rules already. BTW nitrous is a form of mild sedation.

Last edited:

Thank you both, I was feeling completely alienated, like I'm the only person in my town that is afraid.... I see teenagers walk in and walk out FINE. But not me, I freak out---- shake and cry. I'm 23 btw... so they really love treating me like a child.

BTW nitrous is a form of mild sedation.

Brit, I don't know what I would expect to feel with Nitrous, the OS never informed what it was like. He acted like it was nothing important; when they put the mask on me (it was just O2) they didn't monitor my bp or put an oxygen monitor on me or anything .... so I took it off before they began administrating the Nitrous--out of sheer insecurity.

If Nitrous would be enough of a sedative to get me to stop shaking, panicking and crying, I bet I could get it done without IV sedation (which I really do not want.... I can't take benzodiazepines like Versed....so I would have to opt for a heavier type of IV sedation, which comes with loads of risk :( )

What do you think??

Andrea :hidesbehindsofa:

Hi Andrea:

The way you were treated is a couple of notches down from abysmal. That was not professional nor ethical. You do have dental phobia but that is not an excuse for you to be treated in that manner.

I am sure this did not help with your situation. You are not a baby and should not be treated in that manner. Many dentists and OS's do not understand anxiety/phobias and PTSD. You deserve much better. If I can help you, please let me know.

Hi Stress Doc!!

Thank you soooo so so much for your compassion!! I am glad someone out there cares!! :) Sometimes I feel like I'm being a pain in the arse even on support forums :censored:
I am all the way on the other side of the US, I notice you are from Cali. Wish I was in Cali about now!!
It is almost a week and I still keep thinking about what he said to me :( I may have forgto to mention that he is also a plastic surgeon (facial) so I bet he is more accustomed to patients who actually enjoy getting surgery!

Onward, though, I see my new OS for "special needs" patients the Monday after Christmas for just a consultation so he can discuss eerything with me. That definitely helps put me at ease, despite my aching tooth (or lack thereof) but I suppose I am having trouble trying to figure out what options would be right for me considering I don't like the idea of IV sedation, but even if it is necessary, I don't know what they could use on me since I can't have benzodiazepines (like midazolam/versed or valium, halcion etc.)

I was reading on this site that some places may use Propofol when benzos can't be used. Then I heard about "risky" it can be and how it is much like GA. The place I am going has 10 anesthesiologists, and the OS's there are also anesthesiologists. So I know it would be safe, but if I could get this done under Nitrous, I would skip all those risks.... just wish I knew where to draw the line at. I am pretty severely phobic, but not of pain. I do not mind pain, it is the "idea" of cutting open my gums and all that stuff that frightens me. The feeling of being numb is also frightening to me. I sound like such a coward!! Kids walk in and out of the doors, with their parents patting them on the head, and there I am, shaking like a leaf, acting fearful at the age of 23.
I guess that is why sometimes I feel ashamed for not being as brave as the kids. The OS staff would look at the kids and baby them, and then look at me in disgust and treat me as if I were a kid and the kids were adults.

I am definitely trying to get this whole experience out of my head!

And again, I can not thank you guys ENOUGH for your encouragement, and support! :XXLhug:

Andrea :)

Hi Andrea:

It is good that you are able to zero in on the source of the fear. This makes it much easier to deal with. There are commonalities that exist in anxiety/phobia.

If you want to talk in detail, PM me and i will be happy to chat.

Blessings. :)

Andrea,

There is NO way you should have gone through this ordeal and I'm sorry for that. Believe me, I understand EVERY emotion you felt and agree with Stress Doc that this was below the abyss, if there is such a place. If you live in the U.S. you can file a formal complaint with your local ADA and I wouldn't hesitate IN A HEARTBEAT to do that. Also ask for any of your money back. NO ONE should be made to feel like they are not important.

There are compassionate dentists out there and you might want to ask your friends and colleagues who they recommend.....that's how I found my dentist who is pretty awesome and understands my fear.

I hope you can find a dentist soon that is cognitive of your fears and treat you accordingly.

My best to you

Trish

Back