• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Should I redo my root canal even though there is no pain?

D

Donut

Hello everyone,

A couple of days ago my dental crown cracked, I went to my dentist to get a new one. He took some x-rays and informed me that he also has to redo my root canal treatment on that tooth. I informed him that I haven't suffered from any pain from that tooth ever since I had the root canal treatment 5 years ago. My dentist insists that I have to redo it because it was not done right.

Should I redo the root canal treatment even though I don't suffer from any pain? I afraid that something might go wrong with the treatment and actually cause me pain afterwards! on the other hand, I'm also afraid of just getting a new crown and then suffering from pain a few months down the line because I didn't redo the root canal...

What are your thoughts about this? I would appreciate any advice on this matter.

Thank you

Hi I would follow your dentists advice, have they explained what the problem is with the rct'd tooth and why it is wrong.

You shouldn't have any pain after a re-treatment, also if at some point down the line you need to have it re-done because you leave it now they would be drilling through a new crown. It would be best to get it done before the crown is put on.

It has to be your choice though and you need to talk to the dentist so that you can make an informed decision and agree the treatment, or not.

Good luck :clover::clover::clover: let us know how you get on please :butterfly:

I would ask the dentist to explain what exactly was done wrong with the root canal and show me on the x-ray. if he can and he should be able to, have him also show you an x-ray of a properly done root canal. Then find a dentist to give a second opinion. Some will do that for free or for a small fee.

Back