• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Should my wisdom teeth be removed?

G

Former Member
I know this sounds bad but i want an impartial opinion on a dental issue because i don't fully trust my dentists' opinion.

A few years ago i had my upper and lower braces removed. At around or before this time it was known that i had two upper wisdom teeth. They have since grown through without issue - they haven't impacted, they haven't decayed - they're both healthy new teeth. My dentist however recommends i have them removed, and here's why...

Since my braces were removed several years ago one tooth in my upper arch has moved, and i need to get braces again, for a short period, to fix this. My orthondonist suggested that the wisdom teeth did not cause this movement, but my dentist says it did cause the movement. My orthodonist has said whether or not i remove the wisdom teeth the braces can still be put on without any trouble. What i'm wondering is, are the wisdom teeth really causing the movement, and will they keep putting pressure on my teeth later in life if i don't remove them? Do they stop exerting pressure once they're through?

I'm having trouble swallowing the theory that they cause the other teeth to move, for two reasons - (a) i've read there is no scientific proof to suggest wisdom teeth can actually cause movement, and (b) i've also had movement in my lower arch since my braces, however i dont have lower wisdom teeth, suggesting wisdom teeth cannot be responsible for movement.

Everything is so contradictory, i don't know what to believe. I'd like to believe i can keep the wisdom teeth, and take good care of them so i don't encounter the known issues with fully grown wisdom teeth like gum disease and decay...

Thanks in advance for any light you can shed on this issue

The standard guidance for dentists is that wisdom teeth should only be removed if they're causing problems. Do a quick google for N.I.C.E. , the National Institute for Clinical Excellence, which did a paper on the subject a few years ago.

It's generally thought to be an old wives' tale that third molars can cause movement of the remaining teeth.

I think if you have this much of a problem trusting your dentist on this issue you should consider changing dentists.

--
Gordon

Impacted Wisdom teeth and gone! Sedation is awesome! I have a cheek thatsswollen to the size of a baseball, but pain meds rock! woohooo!!! 100% believer in sedation :jump:

Back