• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Should teeth hurt after a routine cleaning?

L

lisa667

Last January my wisdom teeth became severely infected because they were all impacted. I'd had no problems up till then, but went to a dentist who referred me into a surgeon who took them all out in one fell swoop. I went back in July to my dentist who done a cleaning and said that I needed two fillings. My very back tooth and if counting my wisdom tooth, the fifth tooth from the back on the top.
I got the two done and then was told to come a few weeks later to get my very back teeth top and bottom done on the other side. So I went in to get them done. Halfway through the top one, my dentist sent her assistant out to get some more stuff, and after she was finished she explained that the top tooth was really badly decayed, so instead of a filling, she put in a temporary filling and I was to go back in December to get it permanently filled.
I went back in November because that tooth was hurting me, but my regular dentist was away so I was seen by another dentist in the practice who said I needed a root canal (at a cost of €350, and eventually a crown at about €450). He wanted to do it there and then, but I wasn't as comfortable with him as with my own dentist so I made an appointment for the following week to either get a root canal or an extraction from my own dentist.
When I went in to see her, she done an xray (the small little one) and said that the tooth was fine, and didn't need a root canal and to come back the following month for the filling. I went back, got the filling done and it was all grand.
I was there again three weeks ago for a routine cleaning and my teeth are gorgeous and sparkling now, but unfortunately ever since the whole right side of my mouth has been sore. I don't know which tooth the pain is even coming from because it's that bad and it's spreading into my throat and eye too. Painkillers tend to get rid of the worst of it for about 16-18 hours and then it comes back with a vengence. I feel weak and nauseous because the pain is that bad. I'm not sure if I should go back to the same dentist, as every time I go, I seem to end up in more pain with more problems.
Just wondering if anyone has ever had pain like this three weeks after a cleaning?

(Sorry for the long winded post, but I figured if I explained everything then it would be easier for people to give advice)

This sounds urgent. Can you get to a dentist tomorrow? I have never experienced this myself.

I can definitely get there by Saturday (biggest attraction to this dentist is the practice opens Saturdays). Not sure I want to go back to this dentist though.

Hi WELCOME :jump::jump::jump: to the forum.

A clean may leave your teeth and gums feeling a bit sensitive for a few days after cleaning, but not in the pain you are in. If you trust your dentist and have a good relationship with them then go back and get them to have a look. Sometimes we think we have got all the problems sorted out and something else decide's to play up. It does feel never ending but eventually things do get sorted.

If you think a second opinion is needed then go and see another dentist and see what they say. You can always go back to the one you see now if you wish after the second opinion.

Don't suffer though it isn't worth it as I am sure you already know.

All the best to you :grouphug::grouphug::grouphug::grouphug::grouphug::butterfly:

Went to the dentist today and she said it's the back tooth that's causing it. I had a temp filling and then a permanent one put in but was told it was not a sure fire way to fix the tooth. She says it's just a coincidence that it started to hurt when I had them cleaned. Options are now a root canal or extraction.

Also, I know this is in the wrong section, but I couldn't figure out how to post it somewhere else!

Hi here is fine. I am glad you went back to your dentist hopefully now you will have an appointment to get the back tooth fixed.

It is your choice but if a rct is possible which your dentist says it is then I would go for that. :butterfly:

No.... I had routine cleaning today and it did not hurt at all.

Back