• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Sick and tired of teeth issues, extremely anxious and depressed

A

Arkeresia

Lately it feels like it's just been one thing after another with my teeth I'm so so tired ?? For the last few months since I had to have an extraction due to an abcess it's just been problem after problem like I'm noticing every tiny thing about my teeth! I worry over every sensation and slight difference in how things feel in my mouth.
Now I've got an upper molar hurting when I bite on it so I have to back to the dentist AGAIN for more expense since I went private to help with my anxiety. It feels like things won't ever get better and I'm gonna end up toothless and miserable at only 30 ?? I never know if I'm overreacting or if it's anxiety making things worse or if I'm even feeling pain that's not even there. I'd appreciate anyone else sharing similar anxiety and thoughts chipping in to calm me down a little ?

@Arkeresia

Sorry to here how your feeling with it all. I know I found thst once I started going back to the dentist that it feels like one thing after another and I became overly focused on my teeth and sensations. But honestly most of them turned out to be nothing. It’s easy when it’s on your mind and a worry to become hyper aware. Hopefully this next appointment can put your mind at rest or pick up on anything needed early and get it sorted.

@Arkeresia

Sorry to here how your feeling with it all. I know I found thst once I started going back to the dentist that it feels like one thing after another and I became overly focused on my teeth and sensations. But honestly most of them turned out to be nothing. It’s easy when it’s on your mind and a worry to become hyper aware. Hopefully this next appointment can put your mind at rest or pick up on anything needed early and get it sorted.
Thank you I hope its nothing serious too, I dont wanna be that patient that keeps phoning every week in a panic so they get super sick of me! Definitely when you're so aware of everything it's hard to ignore every little sensation and being stuck in lockdown isnt helping overthinking one bit!

Thank you I hope its nothing serious too, I dont wanna be that patient that keeps phoning every week in a panic so they get super sick of me! Definitely when you're so aware of everything it's hard to ignore every little sensation and being stuck in lockdown isnt helping overthinking one bit!
@Arkeresia

Definitely more time to think about things in lockdown. Not much else to do ?. Aww don’t worry they won’t get sick of you! Hopefully they can reassure you it’s okay ?

Here if you needed to talk more. Or keep us updated how it goes

Hi I’m 29 and I’m feeling the same as you. Ever since a visit to the dentist all because one of my teeth cracked. (It’s the only reason why I went the dentist) she fixed my problem but then she would point out another and she fixed it and now I have cavities and need to remove two of my wisdom teeth.I also got two root canal done. Just waiting on my crowns. I feel so depressed and scared. I’ve always been scared of the dentist. I prefer to get vaccines or blood draw. Some nights like today, I can’t sleep. I’m just thinking of the dentist. Like I want it to be my appointment day already so she can get ride of more cavities. I’m scared that they’ll grow so rapidly... ?

Hi I’m 29 and I’m feeling the same as you. Ever since a visit to the dentist all because one of my teeth cracked. (It’s the only reason why I went the dentist) she fixed my problem but then she would point out another and she fixed it and now I have cavities and need to remove two of my wisdom teeth.I also got two root canal done. Just waiting on my crowns. I feel so depressed and scared. I’ve always been scared of the dentist. I prefer to get vaccines or blood draw. Some nights like today, I can’t sleep. I’m just thinking of the dentist. Like I want it to be my appointment day already so she can get ride of more cavities. I’m scared that they’ll grow so rapidly... ?

Sorry to hear you struggling at the moment. How far off are your appointments? I know I found the same, I wanted the appointment over with in an odd way, even though I was terrified and never wanted to go, as it was taking all my focus and sleep. Do you find anything helps for distraction, mindfulness exercise like tensing and relaxing muscle groups or visual imagery. Listening to music or anything to help?

I’m not a dentist so I’m not sure or can’t give advice obviously, but I don’t think cavities grown too rapidly in my experience. I know I had one that needed doing but as I had other work and my severe anxiety over it. It was put pretty much on the back burner to come back to, so to not overwhelm me with everything in one go.

Lately it feels like it's just been one thing after another with my teeth I'm so so tired ?? For the last few months since I had to have an extraction due to an abcess it's just been problem after problem like I'm noticing every tiny thing about my teeth! I worry over every sensation and slight difference in how things feel in my mouth.
Now I've got an upper molar hurting when I bite on it so I have to back to the dentist AGAIN for more expense since I went private to help with my anxiety. It feels like things won't ever get better and I'm gonna end up toothless and miserable at only 30 ?? I never know if I'm overreacting or if it's anxiety making things worse or if I'm even feeling pain that's not even there. I'd appreciate anyone else sharing similar anxiety and thoughts chipping in to calm me down a little ?
I cant tell you how similar your post was to what im going through right now.. i waa rushed to hospital with most excrutiating pain ive ever felt in my life had a tooth infected then i had 2 failed root canals then ended up having tooth pulled out.. since then its been issue after issue bite has been adjusted multiple times had a deep filling that failed due to a crack then tooth pulled (mistakenly thought i could handle in chair was traumatic) and now i have another filling that was recently replaced (11 days ago) and i cant eat on it without pain.. ive become a shell of a person super down and hyper aware.. i feel every little twinge.. and ive started clenching quiet badly due to stress.. along with the bad habit of constantly closing my teeth together to check if there is pain throughout the day... off to dentist tomorow.. just wanted to know if all of ur issues calmed and how ur coping now? Im so desperate to feel normal eat normal.. ive spent so much money.. sigh anyway thanks for reading hope ur ok x

I cant tell you how similar your post was to what im going through right now.. i waa rushed to hospital with most excrutiating pain ive ever felt in my life had a tooth infected then i had 2 failed root canals then ended up having tooth pulled out.. since then its been issue after issue bite has been adjusted multiple times had a deep filling that failed due to a crack then tooth pulled (mistakenly thought i could handle in chair was traumatic) and now i have another filling that was recently replaced (11 days ago) and i cant eat on it without pain.. ive become a shell of a person super down and hyper aware.. i feel every little twinge.. and ive started clenching quiet badly due to stress.. along with the bad habit of constantly closing my teeth together to check if there is pain throughout the day... off to dentist tomorow.. just wanted to know if all of ur issues calmed and how ur coping now? Im so desperate to feel normal eat normal.. ive spent so much money.. sigh anyway thanks for reading hope ur ok x
Oh omg that sounds like such a dreadful time you're going through! ? I can't imagine how awful this must be for you.
Well I'm doing okay! I went to my dentist again who was lovely, and said he suspected it was anxiety and clenching, as there was some inflammation. Also said flossing more would help things getting stuck which can cause pain. So far I'm not having any more issues so hopefully things are okay for now ? I know what you mean about money too ugh I'm glad I went private but I spend over £1000 altogether just on fillings and appointments and checks! I truly hope you can find some relief from this soon I honestly know how horrible and hopeless it can make you feel! Especially hyperfocusing on symptoms omg, I convinced myself that I had sepsis and all sorts, such huge overreactions!

Oh omg that sounds like such a dreadful time you're going through! ? I can't imagine how awful this must be for you.
Well I'm doing okay! I went to my dentist again who was lovely, and said he suspected it was anxiety and clenching, as there was some inflammation. Also said flossing more would help things getting stuck which can cause pain. So far I'm not having any more issues so hopefully things are okay for now ? I know what you mean about money too ugh I'm glad I went private but I spend over £1000 altogether just on fillings and appointments and checks! I truly hope you can find some relief from this soon I honestly know how horrible and hopeless it can make you feel! Especially hyperfocusing on symptoms omg, I convinced myself that I had sepsis and all sorts, such huge overreactions!
Aw thank you so much for kind reply. So glad things are sorted for you now
Ive been exactly the same!! Googling to no end thinking i have some neurological problem cos im getting phantom pain and also read so many horror stories about root canals so im really hoping i dont find out i need one today... sigh i feel like i can never have sugary foods and drinks again. So glad ive found this forum was feeling so alone. Thanks again lovely for replying and sharing

Aw thank you so much for kind reply. So glad things are sorted for you now
Ive been exactly the same!! Googling to no end thinking i have some neurological problem cos im getting phantom pain and also read so many horror stories about root canals so im really hoping i dont find out i need one today... sigh i feel like i can never have sugary foods and drinks again. So glad ive found this forum was feeling so alone. Thanks again lovely for replying and sharing
This can definitely happen! Or you pay so much attention to every sensation your brain is just hijacked and obsessed with what it thinks it feels, it can become a very psychological process ❤️ I'd recommend looking into some therapy and mindfulness to calm you, I'm beginning this too! Much love to you! I'm sure things won't go nearly as bad as you've convinced yourself they will!

This can definitely happen! Or you pay so much attention to every sensation your brain is just hijacked and obsessed with what it thinks it feels, it can become a very psychological process ❤️ I'd recommend looking into some therapy and mindfulness to calm you, I'm beginning this too! Much love to you! I'm sure things won't go nearly as bad as you've convinced yourself they will!
Yes i love this will definitely be visiting my therapist. Omg just have to say you were right i just got back from dentist and it wasnt anything bad he said that the other dentist (who did the filling) left a small margin so when i was eating food on it , ot was letting in air and causing the pain he replaced the filling and said i should be fine to eat on it tonight!! Im so excited but don't want to get my hopes up just yet. So will take it easy, getting a mouth guard made next week to help with night clenching then its just 4 minor fillings and i should be ok for at least 5 years haha. Thanks again for your support ❤ take care lovely