• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Sick with fear... GA for a Wisdom Tooth extraction???

F

Foolishfairy

Hi folks,
Okay I'm feeling sick with worry here.It appears that I may have to have a General Anaesthetic for removal of a horizontally impacted lower wisdom tooth.Does anyone know can this be done without a GA??? Surely some lesser form of sedation can be used??I am a classic dental phobic patient and doing well in the past year but this is a huge setback as the worry is escalating.... I will be discussing it further at my next review but surely I don't have to put my self through this for one tooth removal... ( I faint for blood tests and feel physically sick entering a hospital even visiting!!!!) .Any words of wisdom appreciated !:)

Hi there

Sorry to hear you are in this situation.

I had my Wisdom a teeth out under a General Anaesthetic a long time ago (I should have had all 4 out but the surgeon decided to leave 1 alone due to its position relative to the Inferior Aveolar nerve, that has proven to be a good call as it's never moved). I was climbing the walls before I went in and did actually contemplate climbing out of the window at the Hospital but didn't as we were on the Second floor :o

In the end I was actually glad that I was knocked out primarily because I don't like the sound of the whole dentistry process but Totally understand where you are coming from as we are all different in terms of our fears.

Would it be possible to call your dentist or the surgeon and ask about the possibility of getting the teeth removed with a local and possibly sedation? It's certainly a question I would be asking in your position.

hope you are able to get sorted.

kind Regards

Hi there

Sorry to hear you are in this situation.

I had my Wisdom a teeth out under a General Anaesthetic a long time ago (I should have had all 4 out but the surgeon decided to leave 1 alone due to its position relative to the Inferior Aveolar nerve, that has proven to be a good call as it's never moved). I was climbing the walls before I went in and did actually contemplate climbing out of the window at the Hospital but didn't as we were on the Second floor :o

In the end I was actually glad that I was knocked out primarily because I don't like the sound of the whole dentistry process but Totally understand where you are coming from as we are all different in terms of our fears.

Would it be possible to call your dentist or the surgeon and ask about the possibility of getting the teeth removed with a local and possibly sedation? It's certainly a question I would be asking in your position.

hope you are able to get sorted.

kind Regards
Thank you for the kind reply.I have experience of being given IV sedation for fillings and that worked a treat.
If I was told this wisdom tooth could be extracted in a similiar fashion it would not seem so bad.I never thought a GA would be suggested for just one tooth removal.This seems like a major event for me, hence the panic at the thought!!!!
On the other hand, maybe my dentist feels I would not cope with the procedure so a GA it is....I will surely be asking her again.
Thank you, your words are appreciated

Back