• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Sickening attitude of the NHS dentists where I live

A

ANYMS2017

There was very few dentist accepting NHS patients in my area so I didn't have much choice, to begin with, -and reading the reviews on the dentists that were accepting patients, made me extremely nervous!

Initially, (last year) I visited a "Community Access Centre" to have a couple of teeth extracted with gas and air and they were great. Unfortunately, it's very hard to get an appointment with the Access Centre and they can only do a short course of treatment. They said for the moment, they wanted me to have my teeth cleaned every few months with a local dentist because they CARED about my dental health.

I was discharged and registered with a local dentist and after a few visits with him, I was referred back to the Access Centre for more treatment with gas and air.

I was discharged back to the local dentist again and the Access Centre had to TELL him to clean my teeth because it wasn't something he had suggested or had any initiative or inclination to do himself. I had to leave that dentist and you might want to read my first post in the Journals to find out why.

The second dentist, that I am going to now, has also made no suggestion of cleaning - yet she was eager to point out a tooth that is becoming loose at the back of my mouth and said - "we can make a prosthetic replacement for that". How about HELPING ME, as a dentist, to try to SAVE the tooth! I have found out everything I need to do to care for my mouth by looking online because there has been diddly squat advice from either of these idiots. Again, just a non-caring, I don't give a shit because she's not paying attitude! It's sickening and there's nothing I can do about it because I just cannot afford to pay privately. It's sickening and it's making me hate this country!

Rant over.

ugghhh.. ready your post and so sorry you are going through this.. I was on our county system for a long time here in us. and not many take it and I got real shoddy care nothing lasted. they weren't looking long term so I can know the frustration. I don't know or understand the system with the NHS so much and private over there but i really hope you can find someone who listens and cares to the true thing you are looking for and that is saving the teeth!! preventiaive and long term care!! Wish you the best!!

Back