• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Side Effects to Locals

M

Mmt

Hi. Even without epi in local agents to numb, I tremble, feel faint, experience hot and then cold flushes, twitch, and feel like I cannot breathe. I have had extensive dental work and as one dentist remarked, 'you lived through the injections before. you will again.' This is certainly no comfort, and I suspect the hidden inference has been that I'm anxious and so it's all anxiety. I have a root canal tomorrow. No infection or anything, just a broken tooth too far below gum line to avoid one. I think I WILL live. :) But I am nonetheless terrified yet again. Support please. I really need to do this and get it over with. Thanks :)

Hi Mmt,
That sounds like panic attack symptoms to me, but people experience panic differently. You will live. Try some kind of distraction when you feel the symptoms coming on, like counting backwards from 100. One of my most effective distractions is to count backwards in 7’s... like 100, 93, 86 etc. It keeps my brain engaged long enough to realize my panic is unnecessary. You can do this, we’re here for you!

I have a lot of anxiety around anesthetics because they typically don't work well for me (hard to numb and wear off quickly). This past year, I had a lot of dental surgeries and found that using nitrous oxide, or an oral sedative helps a lot! Do you have that option, or would you be open to it?

Hi Mmt,
That sounds like panic attack symptoms to me, but people experience panic differently. You will live. Try some kind of distraction when you feel the symptoms coming on, like counting backwards from 100. One of my most effective distractions is to count backwards in 7’s... like 100, 93, 86 etc. It keeps my brain engaged long enough to realize my panic is unnecessary. You can do this, we’re here for you!
Thanks :) I do not doubt that anxiety is part of it, at least that it makes real responses worse. But it is not 'in my head'. It is a real thing. Thank you for answering. Even the office calling to confirm for tomorrow got my knickers in a bunch :p

I have a lot of anxiety around anesthetics because they typically don't work well for me (hard to numb and wear off quickly). This past year, I had a lot of dental surgeries and found that using nitrous oxide, or an oral sedative helps a lot! Do you have that option, or would you be open to it?
I am considering taking something before hand. But I have to get myself there and back. I'd prefer to take your suggestion. We shall see. Thank you for your kindness. I sincerely appreciate it!

I am considering taking something before hand. But I have to get myself there and back. I'd prefer to take your suggestion. We shall see. Thank you for your kindness. I sincerely appreciate it!

If they offer nitrous, you can still drive yourself. It is out of your system within minutes of it being turned off, especially if they give you oxygen after. I have had to drive myself to almost all my procedures. The only time I took an oral sedative was at my dentist, because he doesn't offer nitrous, so my husband had to drive me.

I know it isn't "in your head", because I get it also. It is a real reaction to a fear, and it is very scary. Panic attacks are nothing to dismiss.

If they offer nitrous, you can still drive yourself. It is out of your system within minutes of it being turned off, especially if they give you oxygen after. I have had to drive myself to almost all my procedures. The only time I took an oral sedative was at my dentist, because he doesn't offer nitrous, so my husband had to drive me.

I know it isn't "in your head", because I get it also. It is a real reaction to a fear, and it is very scary. Panic attacks are nothing to dismiss.
Thanks. He does not offer it. And it is not a panic attack. It is a real physiological response to one or more ingredients. I do realize that when I have a negative response, my anxiety goes through the roof. That's the part I need to deal with, I guess. The alternative is not what I would choose. Thanks again. Very Much.

Hi Mmt,

sorry to read about your situation, those symptoms sound awful. I do not have any quick advice for your appointment tomorrow, but if you haven‘t seen it already, we have an article about bad reactions to local anesthetic here on the page. It might offer you some orientation about the things that local contains and what reactions it can provoke:

Hope you find a way to get through your appointment tomorrow, let us know how it went.

Thanks. He does not offer it. And it is not a panic attack. It is a real physiological response to one or more ingredients. I do realize that when I have a negative response, my anxiety goes through the roof. That's the part I need to deal with, I guess. The alternative is not what I would choose. Thanks again. Very Much.

Sorry, I had thought you had said it was anxiety. I do know people who have reactions to local anesthetic, and I hope you can get something to help combat it.

Hi Mmt,

sorry to read about your situation, those symptoms sound awful. I do not have any quick advice for your appointment tomorrow, but if you haven‘t seen it already, we have an article about bad reactions to local anesthetic here on the page. It might offer you some orientation about the things that local contains and what reactions it can provoke:

Hope you find a way to get through your appointment tomorrow, let us know how it went.
Thank you! The article was helpful. As I said, I never get anything with epi anymore. Whatever ails me when I get the injections is a mystery to me. If I wanted, I suppose I could go get allergy tested to see what if any ingredients are the problem. It's hard to be told its all anxiety when I know it is not. But I lived through them before. Good chance I will again ;-) Thanks for your time and information.

Sorry, I had thought you had said it was anxiety. I do know people who have reactions to local anesthetic, and I hope you can get something to help combat it.
Me too. Oops :(

Me too. Oops :(
:) I won't die. (I think to myself on a good day lol) But I was just hoping someone could talk about what they feel like similar to my concern to make me feel better. And braver - thanks so much for reading

Hi,

Maybe one of the computerised dental anaesthesia (such as the WAND or quicksleeper) can do the trick. They also prevent the aesthetic solution to spread though the blood circulation.

But I was just hoping someone could talk about what they feel like similar to my concern to make me feel better. And braver - thanks so much for reading

That‘s exactly the point. The reactions you are describing are really common, but for the most people it comes from stress or panic. The feeling of numbness as such also can be stresfull. I used to have the same feeling when gegting LA up to a point I started to state LA in the allergy section at any doctor I went to. Two years ago I went through desensitization with my dentist which basically means many appointment of doing minor dental stuff that you don‘t necessarily need in order to get used to treatment. I had two appointments that were just about getting an injection (and a lot of talking and explaining beforehand, afterwards and during that) and being able to cope. From the second apt on I haven‘t had any reaction and one appointment later I was able to have LA for an emergency appointment without problem.

There are still things like other techniques, allergy tests etc., but having a dentist who believes you and is supportive is the most helpful thing I would say. Allowing you to get a break, a glas of water, sitting upright for a while or even stand up and get out of the surgery, if that would help, is what comes to my mind. So if your decision is to get through it today without any adjustments in the actual anesthetic or the device used, then I just hope you have a kind caring dental team that knows you have this reactions and is ready to make sure you feel better and stabilised before any procedure gets started.

Hope all goes well today, keep us posted.

That‘s exactly the point. The reactions you are describing are really common, but for the most people it comes from stress or panic. The feeling of numbness as such also can be stresfull. I used to have the same feeling when gegting LA up to a point I started to state LA in the allergy section at any doctor I went to. Two years ago I went through desensitization with my dentist which basically means many appointment of doing minor dental stuff that you don‘t necessarily need in order to get used to treatment. I had two appointments that were just about getting an injection (and a lot of talking and explaining beforehand, afterwards and during that) and being able to cope. From the second apt on I haven‘t had any reaction and one appointment later I was able to have LA for an emergency appointment without problem.

There are still things like other techniques, allergy tests etc., but having a dentist who believes you and is supportive is the most helpful thing I would say. Allowing you to get a break, a glas of water, sitting upright for a while or even stand up and get out of the surgery, if that would help, is what comes to my mind. So if your decision is to get through it today without any adjustments in the actual anesthetic or the device used, then I just hope you have a kind caring dental team that knows you have this reactions and is ready to make sure you feel better and stabilised before any procedure gets started.

Hope all goes well today, keep us posted.
Two hours - and I will be there. Thank you for your note, it was very helpful. I think they're a nice/competent group of people, and I have already spoken to them about this during consult, and then when I went to have my teeth cleaned. I'll drop a line when I get back. Thank you :)

Two hours - and I will be there. Thank you for your note, it was very helpful. I think they're a nice/competent group of people, and I have already spoken to them about this during consult, and then when I went to have my teeth cleaned. I'll drop a line when I get back. Thank you :)

Good luck, may all go amazingly well!

So... I went. I spoke with the dentist, reminded him I was concerned about the injection side effects. He explained he understood and then told me, 'I have been dreading this appointment, too.' Umm. He went to explain, 'at this point in my career I don't like nervous patients.' Great. Not. Gave me the injection. It was fine! No bad sensations. Yah! right? Nope. He couldn't get me numb enough. he grumbled. He gave me another. Still fine. He started the procedure. I winced once. He asked if it hurt, I said no, but I feel more than pressure. He blew air on it, I felt it. He told me he thought I needed a crown lengthening, and even then it might not work in the end. He got testy. He gave me options. Decided on putting the dang crown back on. he told me that if I was going to wince at all he wouldn't work on me. I told him I can't control if something wings my gum or hurts. He said, I am sorry but maybe you need to find another dentist because he is worried if I wince he will break off the instrument in my tooth. I was in tears. Left. The damn tooth never hurt me. All this over a crown that fell off. It may last or maybe it won't. I will consider what to do next. A good take away from this is that I know I can take the numbing agent when administered properly. Sigh. Thanks to all for the great support.

So... I went. I spoke with the dentist, reminded him I was concerned about the injection side effects. He explained he understood and then told me, 'I have been dreading this appointment, too.' Umm. He went to explain, 'at this point in my career I don't like nervous patients.' Great. Not. Gave me the injection. It was fine! No bad sensations. Yah! right? Nope. He couldn't get me numb enough. he grumbled. He gave me another. Still fine. He started the procedure. I winced once. He asked if it hurt, I said no, but I feel more than pressure. He blew air on it, I felt it. He told me he thought I needed a crown lengthening, and even then it might not work in the end. He got testy. He gave me options. Decided on putting the dang crown back on. he told me that if I was going to wince at all he wouldn't work on me. I told him I can't control if something wings my gum or hurts. He said, I am sorry but maybe you need to find another dentist because he is worried if I wince he will break off the instrument in my tooth. I was in tears. Left. The damn tooth never hurt me. All this over a crown that fell off. It may last or maybe it won't. I will consider what to do next. A good take away from this is that I know I can take the numbing agent when administered properly. Sigh. Thanks to all for the great support.
I think I’d have walked out when he said he’s been dreading the appointment too. Yikes. Way to instill confidence in a dentist.

Wow. That is awful. I cannot imagine a dentist saying they were dreading the appointment also.
I have issues getting numb, and my dentist has never once stopped a procedure or gotten angry with me. He always jokes about it, and says they are not stingy with the "juice", as he calls the anesthetic. He tests for numbness by prodding my gums with that metal pokey thing. If I wince during a procedure, (and I have plenty of times), he stops and gives another shot.

I am so sorry you had to deal with that. I would have been in tears. I think it is time to find another dentist!

Back