• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Sinus Communication, Can't talk! Help!

K

kaiichann

I recently had 3 of my wisdom teeth removed last Friday (the 25th of October). Two of them were up top and one on the bottom right side. After days of being in pain and looking like a chipmunk, swelling has gone down and I am recovering even though half of my tongue is numb and I am unable to taste on that side. Aside from having 3 of my wisdom teeth removed, one of my upper molars on the right side of my mouth had been knocked out (tripped on ice) prior to my surgery. My dentist said that the root of the molar was still inside of my gums, and that when I got my wisdom teeth removed the Oral Surgeon would remove it as well.

After my surgeon removed the roots, he stitched it up with the stitches that dissolve. On Monday (the 28th) the gums that were stitched shut came loose and air was now passing through. It hurt like you know what, so I called my surgeon in hysterics. He called me in for an emergency check up the following morning, and said that the hole was small and with antibiotics and antibacterial mouthwash I would start healing in a week. If I don't start healing, he said he would have to surgically close it.

It is now Wednesday and I am still in a lot of pain. The awful taste in my mouth won't go away, I can't talk, and I have a dull aching pain on top of that. My saliva when I spit (I can't actually spit so I have to let it fall out..GROSS) is whitish and I get nauseated once in a while by having to swallow (swallow carefully might I add).

I am an 18 year old girl who is in college. I don't want to be in this kind of pain when I have finals to worry about. Please can someone who has experienced this shed some light on this for me. I am scared.:shame:

Hi Kaiichann,

You really are having a bad time! You are so unlucky, some people get no complications, some get one but you get the whole lot!
The advice your dentist has given you is correct. It is early days and even though it may not feel like it now the symptoms will resolve. The body is very good at healing itself. The vast majority of sinus perforations spontaneously heal. Keep taking the painkillers and hang in there!

Lincoln

Thank you so much for your response, Lincoln. How long until I can talk? :( How long until it heals?

My luck really does suck...:clover:

Generally closed in about 2 weeks You must not blow nose, suck through a straw, or do anything to cause a pressure gradient between nose and mouth. I assume you don't smoke.
This problem will end!

I have a similar problem. I had my wisdom tooth out and it created a tiny hole (tiny was the word the oral surgeon used) in my sinus. It was seeping some salty fluid for a few days. I went back to the oral surgeon and he did something to help that. I dont know exactly what he did but the fluid seemed to stop. A few days after that I've noticed that the extraction site now has some white tissue in it and surgical area looks like it may have shrank a little bit. So maybe this is good news that it is healing. But I still noticed that while looking at it in the mirror, the saliva covering the site seems to move slightly inward if i take a breath (not real hard as i dont want to worsen it) through my nose. I dont know if this is normal healing or if I should still be concerned that the communication is not going to close up? It's been a total of 10 days now since the extraction.

I went through 3 weeks anxiety leading up to getting these things pulled, now Im dealing with anxiety over this problem. :confused:

Last edited:
Back