• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Sinus Headaches & Root Canals

J

josiegrossie26

I have several questions. First of all, I have really, really bad sinus'; everyone in my family does. So, lately ( the past week or so ), I have been getting really bad sinus headaches. I have recently had some dental work done ( 2 root canals and a temporary filling ) and I have noticed that whenever I get those really bad sinus headaches, it makes the whole left side ( the same side that I recently had a root canal and a temporary filling done ) of my face and jaw hurt; it doesn't necessarily make the tooth that had the root canal hurt or the tooth that was filled. But definitely my face and jaw so it sometimes feels as if those two teeth are hurting...does that make sense?

Secondly, at my last dentist visit ( about a month and a half ago ), I had a root canal done and on another tooth, I had a cavity; not a deep cavity but a cavity. So, after my dentist did the root canal, he put some medicine in the other tooth and sealed it up. He said he wanted to watch that tooth to see if that one would have to have a root canal also. My question is...how can you tell if it needs to have a root canal or not? It doesn't seem swollen or sensitive or anything like that...like I have been brushing it for awhile now and it doesn't hurt or anything like that. How long after he put the medicine in can you tell if it should have a root canal or not? What are the symptoms?

Lastly and this is kind of embarrassing but...ever since I have begun dental work ( after 10 years or so of not going to the dentist ), I have noticed that I have begun to drool more than usual. Now, I used to drool...does that have anything to do with it? Does the recent dental work have anything to do with it?

Thanks in advance!!

Hi - the roots of the molar teeth are closely related to the sinuses - see attached piccy - dunno how well this will show - but if you look at the big teeth on the top left of the x-ray - they almost push into the sinus. (the floor of which is that white line zig-zagging along sort of horizontal) Hence a toothache can be felt as sinus pain, and a sinus pain can present as a toothache sometimes.

floorofsinus.jpg

Re the second Q. If the dentist hasn't actually had to go as far as the nerve with the temporary filling, and it feels fine, then probably a ordinary filling will do.

Foreign bodies in the mouth - dentures, tennis balls, pebbles.. tend to make one salivate more, human nature. But I don't know why you are doing so. Maybe you're just more aware of your mouth at the moment... Look into my eyes - not around the eyes, just the eyes... 1 - 2 - 3 - you're under...

images-3.jpg

now imagine a running tap being slowly turned off - in the sahara desert..
3 - 2 - 1 you're back in the room! Cured!

Gosh - this hypnosis malarkey is a doddle!

Hope that helps!

Pars :)

Pars said:
Foreign bodies in the mouth - dentures, tennis balls, pebbles.. tend to make one salivate more, human nature.

Is "pebbles" a euphemism for something :confused:?

Honestly now! 'pebbles' - let me explain - if you are stuck in the middle of the desert (Happens from time to time I'm sure...) and yer wee mouth is parched, one source of help is to place a pebble in your mouth - stimulates the saliva flow you see. Old boy scout trick.

Tennis ball - is from the Gary Larson cartoon were the wee pt has had all this stuff placed in his mouth and the dentist says - 'and now we're going to try and cram in the tennis ball just to see if it will fit!'

Dentures - well that's an obvious one.

Other items are available for placement within the oral cavity - this is not an exhaustive list!   :p

Methinks you've been watching a little too much Little Britain LOL! :p Kenny Craig has a lot to answer for! ;D Look into my eye.... look straight into my eye and as you do you will become very tired... very tired and very sleeeeeeeeeepy.... :cloud9:

As for boy scout tricks, I wouldn't know much about that - being in the girl guides in my yoof... we never strayed too far from the campsite... certainly not as far as the desert anyway ;)

Pars said:
Honestly now! 'pebbles' - let me explain - if you are stuck in the middle of the desert (Happens from time to time I'm sure...) and yer wee mouth is parched, one source of help is to place a pebble in your mouth - stimulates the saliva flow you see. Old boy scout trick.

Is "boy scout" a euphemism for something :confused:?

Help! Gordon? Where are you when i need you??? :scared:

BWHAHAHAHAHA!!!! :devilish:.... In the forum.... nobody can hear you scream....... ;)

I'm hiding, like any normal man would do.

Back