• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Sinus lift complications

M

ms0101ms

Hi,
I had all of my teeth removed. I had a sinus lift done in my lower and upper jaw. 12 days After operation I was still tender and had some facial Swelling near my nose/cheek/lips. My dentist prescribed different antibiotics. I was on Amoxicillan, Clindamyacin 500mg 3x a day, Levofloxacin 500mg 1x a day. Nothing really helps. I thought the swelling would go down by now but it's still about the same. I stopped taking my antibiotics. Could you please advise me what should I do?

Thanks in advance for any help you are able to provide.

Marat.

Hi :welcome: to the forum.

If you have stopped taking the antibiotics before finishing the course than take the rest until the course is done. They won't work until you finish the full course, that is the way they work. I think you need to return to the dentist that did the work and let them have a check on your progress and advise you :butterfly:

Hi,
I had all of my teeth removed. I had a sinus lift done in my lower and upper jaw. 12 days After operation I was still tender and had some facial Swelling near my nose/cheek/lips. My dentist prescribed different antibiotics. I was on Amoxicillan, Clindamyacin 500mg 3x a day, Levofloxacin 500mg 1x a day. Nothing really helps. I thought the swelling would go down by now but it's still about the same. I stopped taking my antibiotics. Could you please advise me what should I do?

Thanks in advance for any help you are able to provide.

Marat.

Hello, it is completely normal to have swelling after surgery. This is how the body responds if you have trauma anywhere in your body. I would highly suggest you take the antibiotics as prescribed from your dentist and I would suggest you listen to their advice word by word only. The majority of posters in this forum are NOT dentists therefore it is wise to seek advice from your dentist only if you have concerns. Remember you have paid thousands of ££££$$$$ and the last thing you would want is to receive the wrong advice that may affect your treatment.
I am a dentist with implant knowledge and my advice would be ice, ice, more ice, anti-inflammatories, keep your head upright, and avoid blowing through your nose, using a straw and pinching your nostrils and patience. Don't forget about your ice!

Gentledental I sense you are annoyed at the advice I gave to this poster. It is a well know fact on here that I am not a dentist and have no medical knowledge at all. I only advised the person to finish their antibiotics and seek advice from their dentist as I would always do.

No one on here would dream of saying they are qualified to give an opinion it is also a know fact that all advice is given as lay people that have experience of treatments and to offer support.

Of course there are some very trusted and experienced dentists on here and we are most grateful for their professional advice but as you state you can only get proper and sound advice from your own physical dentist that has the chance to view a problem and give an educated opinion. :butterfly:

Gentledental I sense you are annoyed at the advice I gave to this poster. It is a well know fact on here that I am not a dentist and have no medical knowledge at all. I only advised the person to finish their antibiotics and seek advice from their dentist as I would always do.

No one on here would dream of saying they are qualified to give an opinion it is also a know fact that all advice is given as lay people that have experience of treatments and to offer support.

Of course there are some very trusted and experienced dentists on here and we are most grateful for their professional advice but as you state you can only get proper and sound advice from your own physical dentist that has the chance to view a problem and give an educated opinion. :butterfly:

No of course I'm not annoyed. This poster has paid a lot of money for his/her treatment and the last thing he/she wants to do is take on board the wrong advice which may compromise the treatment.

Gentledental ms0101ms didn't mention the cost of their treatment but we all know how expensive treatment can be, but may I say well worth it in the right hands.
The problem that this poster had was they were really worried about their condition and just wanted some reassurance that what was happening was not harmful or going to get worse and that things were normal. Also wanting confirmation that they were correct in stopping the antibiotics.

As I stated to them I didn't know if things were normal as I am not medically trained in any way, but that they should start the antibiotics again and continue until the full course was finished as even with no training whatsoever we all know part courses of antibiotics do more harm than good. Thus solving nothing but may make things worse.

I would stay in close contact with your dentist until the doctor says you are fine and without problems.

Back